new laam seat

Jack B

Let's Ride
Bike
2013 F6B
Order a new seat from Laam seats, I think they look great but no test ride yet. I'll have wait till spring.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Pleased so far - expect it will be an excellent seat for me.

I've got about 1500 miles on the new Laam seat now. It took about 15 hrs (500 mi?) of saddle time (mostly around town) to get it truly "broken in" to my shape. No noticeable changes since. It is definitely firm (noticeably moreso than factory seat), but once it forms to your shape, provides excellent support without pressure points. Have never been on a Corbin, so can't compare. Have only been on continuously about 170 miles so far, but no indication of any tender spots. Wife hasn't been out with me yet, so no new info on the wider, more scooped passenger section. (Looking into windshield and factory air deflector options to reduce turbulence on passenger and cut helmet noise from turbulent air for me and her). Been researching on here - lots of differing opinions...

The Carbon-FX vinyl is very thick and quite stiff (haven't had any hot weather yet here - supposed to hit 85?F today though). It does give the sense of being a bit slippery. The "sliding up to the tank" occurs (with me) on hard-to-threshold braking (just did a braking clinic weekend before last). You can mitigate it nearly 100% by excellent technique with lots of pressure against the tank with your legs. I have no issues during normal riding. I did a cornering clinic that same weekend, and it is easy to shift position on the seat as necessary. I will give the Carbon-FX this year and see how I am with it at end of ride season (~30 Nov). Depending - I might send it back and have Seth cover it with his standard vinyl. Time will tell.

$369.55 for my LAAM seat that I got in November, The passenger seat was also customized / wider to the rack rails. I also can't wait for this winter to finally end and to finally try out this seat !
I am in this exact same circumstance. Have the FX-Carbon-look vinyl as shown in OP's picture, in the same orientation. I also had the "wider" passenger seat design (like in OP's pic, but the sides of the passenger seat touch the grab rails all along from front to back. It's almost good enough to go out here after 5 days of above-freezing weather and high wind have pretty much cleared all the roads. Still a lot of sand everywhere, though. Temperatures heading back down tonight, and snow in the forecast later this week... Oh well - can't have everything!

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If any of you need someone to break your saddle in for you, before your riding season starts, just send them down to me. I could put 1,000 miles on them in two weeks...that should get them started for you! ;)

Bike
'15 FJR ES
$369.55 for my LAAM seat that I got in November, The passenger seat was also customized / wider to the rack rails. I also can't wait for this winter to finally end and to finally try out this seat !
I had the front seat customized and the rear was just recovered to match with no mods. I paid significantly less than that. I highly suggest a look at the Laam Custom Seats website. There is a page that deals with pricing.

In my opinion, there is no better bargain in custom seats than the Laam.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
How does it compare to a Corbin?

I am too short for a RDL, and already have a Corbin. I found an inexpensive factory seat for sale and have it ready, just in case.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I also just got my front and rear seat back from Laam. He made comment that the forum had been good to him, now I know why. Just waiting on some warm weather now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Sold my new RDL as it was too wide and too tall.
Got my Laam seat in late July. Rode 750 miles on the first weekend with great comfort.
Its the best investment I've made in the ST so far.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I would sure like to see how the laam stacks up against the RDL! :D
All that takes is money. All you have to do is spend it.

In my opinion, the Laam is very very close to an RDL. I would have to say that the RDL is superior for the dedicated IBR contestant but the Laam is just wonderful for the majority of us.

How does it compare to a Corbin?

I am too short for a RDL, and already have a Corbin. I found an inexpensive factory seat for sale and have it ready, just in case.
There is no comparison. Any of the true custom seats will be superior to a mass produced seat because it is built specifically for you and how you want to sit on your bike. If you notice the pics, the seat that started this thread is not nearly as deeply dished as the one pictured on my bike. A custom seat is truly customized, you cannot duplicate that with a Corbin.

I also just got my front and rear seat back from Laam. He made comment that the forum had been good to him, now I know why. Just waiting on some warm weather now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
To my knowledge I was the first one to post about the Laam seat on this forum. I sent Seth Laam the link to both forums I posted on. He called me and thanked me for posting an honest review. He told me at that time that he was getting lots of calls from the two ST forums and he really appreciated my posting. It is a pleasure spending your money when you know the guy is super nice and that he appreciates it.

Last edited:
Scheduled to be there in early May to have my seat done. He says he can do it the same day. I'll then put about 3,500 miles on it in the next 2 weeks.
Larry

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I hope to book a day to ride up get lunch and pick up my bike with a Laam seat.

you cannot duplicate that with a Corbin.
Did Corbin change their policy? I rode out to his site and got the seat made to spec for my V-65 Sabre with the assurance that I could get it tailored more if needed.

That said the Laam seats are beauties and that will be my next big purchase.

Top Bottom