new laam seat

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
hmm... I have been thinking of a new seat and now I'm more confused than ever.
I have the orig seat and a corbin. The corbin is HARD and sits very low and forward. I came with the bike. I put it on thinking I should like it but after a few weeks I go back to the stock seat.
I don't find the stock seat all that bad but I can't stand how I feel like I'm riding on the boys (if you know what I mean). Seems like I'm always adjusting my position.
Now compaired to my 919 which also has the stock seat, the ST is a ton better but I still find myself adjusting all the time.
I would really be disappointed if I shelled out the cash for a seat to get one with the same problems that I'm having with the stock one or the corbin have.
Have you adjusted the stock seat front higher than the rear?

Bike
2006 ST1300
hmm... I have been thinking of a new seat and now I'm more confused than ever.
I have the orig seat and a corbin. The corbin is HARD and sits very low and forward. I came with the bike. I put it on thinking I should like it but after a few weeks I go back to the stock seat.
I don't find the stock seat all that bad but I can't stand how I feel like I'm riding on the boys (if you know what I mean). Seems like I'm always adjusting my position.
Now compaired to my 919 which also has the stock seat, the ST is a ton better but I still find myself adjusting all the time.
I would really be disappointed if I shelled out the cash for a seat to get one with the same problems that I'm having with the stock one or the corbin have.
Its odd for me, because I come from sport bikes (that I actually put miles on and did trips with) and was always just fine with the seat. The ST (by far more comfortable than a sport bike) drove me crazy after an hour in the seat. It wasn't its shape, it was pressure points on my butt bones. I think the ST being wider and the seating position just causes me butt bones to be more in the meat of the seat and that caused pressure points.

Unfortunately I've not had a chance to take the Laam for longer than about 30 miles since I got it. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to get some seat time since the wife and kids are out of town.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Have you adjusted the stock seat front higher than the rear?
I think so. I'm not positive but I think the front is on the middle position with the back as low as I could get it. I don't think the back is on the lowest position though.
I will take a look after work and see what its on.
The privous owner put the fuse block right behind where the lower tank is so it's under the front seat and might be in the way of lowering the seat further. I know I struggled to get the seat to the a lower position, really pushing it foward as much as posible. Now that I think of it the front support might be on the high position with the rear support in the middle position.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think so. I'm not positive but I think the front is on the middle position with the back as low as I could get it. I don't think the back is on the lowest position though.
I will take a look after work and see what its on.
The privous owner put the fuse block right behind where the lower tank is so it's under the front seat and might be in the way of lowering the seat further. I know I struggled to get the seat to the a lower position, really pushing it foward as much as posible. Now that I think of it the front support might be on the high position with the rear support in the middle position.
There are 9 possible settings - 3 front/3 rear.. so you can put the front at the top and rear at the bottom.. I'd move the fuse block to the space just behind the pass seat myself.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
There are 9 possible settings - 3 front/3 rear.. so you can put the front at the top and rear at the bottom.. I'd move the fuse block to the space just behind the pass seat myself.
I will be doing just that, I'm thinking the fuse block might be giving me problems with space.
Thanks for confirming it will work in all positions.
Sorry for the unintentional :th1: . Now back to LAAM seat discussion. :oops:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
My last post to the thread was just before the we set off on our trip to Redding for a ride-in appointment at Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats. We had a great ride down, taking an easy four days to ride the 2400 km to Northern California. We arrived at Seth Laam's house promptly at 8:30 am, he had us sit on the seat to see how we fit, and then he got to work. We agreed on the carbon fibre look vinyl for the top with a white accent thread. The entire process took three hours to do both rider and pillion seats and looks great. It might have taken less time if I hadn't asked Seth one question after another about the process, the materials, his experience and his business. It was a fascinating conversation, but I'm sure it slowed the process down. :)

Seat impressions:

After having ridden 4000 km on the Lamm built seat I'm very pleased with the level of comfort. Both of us were able to ride longer days in greater comfort on the trip home. Our final day was 840 km and neither of us had sore butts, just aching knees and feet. The seat has a centre section of memory foam to cushion your hip bones and sections of firm, special recipe foam on the sides and rear that form a cup to support and distribute the weight. Neither of us found any hot spots in the seats.

Nothing is perfect and I have a couple of niggling issues with the seat. First, I think the skirt Seth put at the front that fits against the tank is smaller than the one on the stock seat, leaving a gap between seat and tank for hot air to rise through to heat your front. In 60 F temperatures on the Oregon coast it's nice, but... I'm going to see what I can do to fill the gap without shipping the seat back to Seth for a repair (which I'm sure he'd be happy to do at no charge. He really takes the service thing seriously.) The second issue is that I find the seat material more slippery than the stock vinyl, and even though it has a noticeable "cup" that your tush fits into, road bumps and hard braking send me slipping forward. Again, I'm going to try and adjust the level of the seat to see if I can't tip it backwards and stop the tendency to slide forward.

Seth impressions:

Seth appears to be a very genuine, honest man who loves his work. If you want to contact him use the phone, as he told me he only checks his e-mail box once a week. He's a Californian, so his work isn't his life and I gathered that he likes to play as hard as he works, and he may not be in the "office" every day. I really enjoyed our conversation and feel confident he stands behind his product.

Conclusion:

Having spent three hours talking to Seth talking about his technique, tools and materials, and watching him rebuild my seat, I can only say I'm impressed with the man and his product. At $385 for a custom, hand built, double seat I don't think you could find a better value. As I've never ridden on any of his competitors' seats I can't say that there isn't a better seat out there, just that I haven't seen anything like this at this price and I'm very glad I chose him as my seat builder. :bow1:

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I just got a PayPal invoice from Seth, meaning I should see my new saddle show up at the house within the week! I can't wait! :hat3:

BTW, I only had the front customized. The rear will just be covered to match. I'll still use the wife's RDL when she rides!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
New Laam Saddle arrived :hat3: tonight (delivered at 9:01 PM! :eek:4:

I'll get a picture or two tomorrow! :D

Here's a picture of it!

SethLaamSaddle-072014-s.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm jealous! I've been trying to get a hold of Laam for nearly 2 months. Called every other day and left messages and emailed numerous times. I'm about to send my seat to mean city cycles.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm jealous! I've been trying to get a hold of Laam for nearly 2 months. Called every other day and left messages and emailed numerous times. I'm about to send my seat to mean city cycles.
I filled out the order form and then he contacted me to have me send the seats to him. Took about a week and a half from send to receiving.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I called him up to do a seat for the Super Tenere and he told me to just ship it to him the 1st week of July, called me as soon as he got it and discussed the particulars. He got it done that day and it was back to me the following Saturday, he was great to work with and the seat feels great so far. I haven't done a long day on it yet, just a 450 miler but it felt more than adequate to go further.

I went with the asphalt material as he said that was closest to the OEM material Yamaha uses on the bike.

Last edited:
Bike
'15 FJR ES
I called him up to do a seat for the Super Tenere and he told me to just ship it to him the 1st week of July, called me as soon as he got it and discussed the particulars. He got it done that day and it was back to me the following Saturday, he was great to work with and the seat feels great so far. I haven't done a long day on it yet, just a 450 miler but it felt more than adequate to go further.

I went with the asphalt material as he said that was closest to the OEM material Yamaha uses on the bike.
I would make some childish comment about how impolite it is to brag about your new bike AND your new seat but... Wow, I am jealous! Also, I did not know he had that "Asphalt" material. I am trying to decide between the Laam and the Russell for Dad's FJR. I love the Laam on my ST but you always wonder...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would make some childish comment about how impolite it is to brag about your new bike AND your new seat but... Wow, I am jealous! Also, I did not know he had that "Asphalt" material. I am trying to decide between the Laam and the Russell for Dad's FJR. I love the Laam on my ST but you always wonder...
I think it's new material that he found just for the Yamaha s10. He said the basketweave was slippery and that's my experience based on past seats. The Russell has got to be the ultimate but sometimes takes a couple adjustments to get right.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I think it's new material that he found just for the Yamaha s10. He said the basketweave was slippery and that's my experience based on past seats. The Russell has got to be the ultimate but sometimes takes a couple adjustments to get right.
When I ordered my seat he told me the BasketWeave was slippery. He suggested the CarbonFX which is the stuff Sargent uses. I like it very much, and in fact like the entire seat.

Just to put things in perspective, I called Russell Day Long Saddles last week. Build dates are being scheduled for September. A build takes about two weeks I was told.

Seth Laam can knock a seat out in a day and it is about 40% cheaper. I cannot say a Laam is as good as a Russell. I can say a Laam is very very good.

Bike
06 ST1300
I filled out the order form and then he contacted me to have me send the seats to him. Took about a week and a half from send to receiving.
Did that twice already. And not a word back. So I ordered mcl 2" extensions and machined them to 1"(The way should of been made). For my trip to Michigan on the 30th.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
First impressions with my first 60 miles.

Seems a bit low...I might have to have him raise it an inch (yeah, that low)
It will have to be broken in...felt like I was sitting on my Brothers Corbin (Hard)
The "wide" support is not there like the RDL. (Got to remember I'm coming off my RDL that I put over 210K miles on it.)

I'll ride with it this week so I should have over 600 miles on it, but if it needs adjustments, I'll have to send it off on Saturday.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
First impressions with my first 60 miles.

Seems a bit low...I might have to have him raise it an inch (yeah, that low)
It will have to be broken in...felt like I was sitting on my Brothers Corbin (Hard)
The "wide" support is not there like the RDL. (Got to remember I'm coming off my RDL that I put over 210K miles on it.)

I'll ride with it this week so I should have over 600 miles on it, but if it needs adjustments, I'll have to send it off on Saturday.
Did you try the highest settings on the seat? You need to post a picture of this seat.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did you try the highest settings on the seat? You need to post a picture of this seat.
There is a picture of it in #78 of this thread.

It is on the highest setting, and besides being too low, after riding on a RDL for so long, I find that the Laam is narrower and my :butt1: isn't supported on the sides as well as it was with the RDL.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, I'm not that happy with it so far, but I'll continue using it this week.

I just bought a RDL off this site. Should get here in a week or so, I'll decide between them and see what happens.

Top Bottom