Side panel mounting a wired Heat-troller

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Here is another idea that I was inspired to do from Rick (dr1954). Out of the way mounting your heat-troller, but keep it easily accessible, functional and in warranty.

I ended up doing two mountings, one dual channel on each side. Normally I would use three channels for myself on a below mild some call brisk day, but I could get by for the most part with two. So if one whoel controller dies mid-trip I can get on with the journey just using the other controller.
installed.jpg

The joy that everyone faces when mounting something (espically electrical) on the bike is finding a good location that keeps the item useable and protect it form the elements. When I saw Ricks mounting I thought I could improve it by putting a multi-pin connector in between the knob thingies and the main unit. No joy, as that would void warranty. Mounting up these heat-trollers adds in the challenge of not cutting any wires, or you void the warranty. So I decided to take the easy route and mount the main body on the outboard panel with the rheostats. But I still wanted a disconnect to make the bike easily serviceable (relatively speaking with all the tupperware).

To make this work and still make the bike serviceable required two things, getting the main unit (and wires) attached to the side cowl and getting a disconnect so I could take the cowl easily off. The side pocket (toaster ovens) provide just the spot.

So pull the cowl and undo a few screws and remove the toaster oven from the panel. This provides a more convient work surface too for placing the knobs.

Drilled my holes for the knob and LED placement. Mounted the unit up with some nice VHB (really good double sided tape) and stuck it to the backside of the toasterbox, fold up the excess wire and tuck into place.
side-view.jpgmounted.jpg

Now to make it useable (powered) and not violate warranty... a cheater cord. A SAE plug with some nice heavy wires. Crimped on some ring terminals and used some short screws and bolts and clamped 'em up. After screwing those together I insulated them with Scotch 88 electric tape. It's a little thicker then the standard stuff to resist abrasion, but still has their good glue so it releases cleanly and won't just become a gooey mess.
cheater-adapter.jpg

So I never cut any of the factory wires, the unit is protected from the elements and most important, I now have warm toes!

90210brandon

Be a Zero
Bike
07 Silver ST13
STOC #
That is a great looking install. Well done. I am looking for ideas for install my controller.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
That is a great looking install. Well done. I am looking for ideas for install my controller.
Thanks.

I'm about to spiffy it up with drilling and sliding a dual USB port between the knobs and the pocket cover.

One thing I did do since the install was to color coordinate the plugs. I generally have three wires coming out of my gear. On the left side of the bike I wrapped black and white electric tape around one each of the jacks and then put clear heat shrink over it. I did the same to the two plugs on my shirt (one for the shirt, one for the feed to the gloves) and the center sections of the knobs. On the left I used yellow and then red electric tape for the same effect. Now each time I get on the bike I just match the colors (they even show up well in low light) and the same controls are always doing the same thing. Just what I think they are. Less looking and guessing, more smooth, warm and comfy riding.

On the left side of the bike I did put in a Hella jack (aka powerlet, but lower cost) between the knobs and the glove box cover.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
Very nice installation.

I wonder, how long are the terminal that plung in the garment ant what is the number of the heat troller. Do you this they are long enough to deserve power to the passenger?

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Very nice installation.
I wonder, how long are the terminal that plung in the garment ant what is the number of the heat troller. Do you this they are long enough to deserve power to the passenger?
Thanks for the compliment.

The wires are not that long, maybe 16". (half a meter) With the main unit mounted on the backside of the glove box they are just long enough to come out by my knees. SO if my pillion wants her heated gear plugged in I have to use a short extension cord I made.

The model number from Warm-n-Safe is 11358200
First Gear sells a similar model.

Bike
2k9 ST1300
Thanks for the compliment.

The wires are not that long, maybe 16". (half a meter) With the main unit mounted on the backside of the glove box they are just long enough to come out by my knees. SO if my pillion wants her heated gear plugged in I have to use a short extension cord I made.

The model number from Warm-n-Safe is 11358200
First Gear sells a similar model.
Thanks for the info

Top Bottom