How do you travel with your meds

Bike
2006 ST1300
I take about 8 pills a day. Blood pressure, Type II diabetes and vitamins. I have been told that you need to carry the scripts in their original bottle. How do you guys do it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I have been told that you need to carry the scripts in their original bottle. How do you guys do it.
I buy mine on the road, generally in 12 oz. bottles, and I keep them in their original bottle. I store them in a Playmate cooler with some ice.

Bike
ST1300
Are you worrying about the legality of carrying scheduled meds or the issue of keeping them away from heat and such?

We have a few LEO's on this board that might give us a good steer on the legality issue. I've got some pain meds that could easily get me tossed into the back seat of a cruiser, so I usually save an old bottle that has all the pertinent data on it and then only take along what I believe I will need for the trip. Take a full bottle when you plan just a couple of days out and that will raise some questions. We have all heard the scare stories - politics and constitutional issues aside, I think it may be a good idea to have an original bottle to show EMS/Medic personnel. A Medic Alert tag is a very good idea.

As for insulin and similar meds, ask your doctor if there is a reasonable travel solution. My VA doctor is also a rider and he understands carrying vials and syringes isn't easy when touring. He prescribed Lantus SoloStar pens. At current dosage each pen will last me about six days and can be stored without refrigeration for 28 days. They can stand heat up to about 86 degrees, so a simple insulated pouch with an ice cube or two will work on most of the warmest days.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Looks like we are on similar meds. I keep them in a pill box except for pain med which goes in original bottle. Anxious to see where this goes though.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unless it is a 'narcotic' type drug (oxy, percoset, etc.), I just put them in daily pill boxes. My 'kidney stone' specials, I keep in the original prescription bottles. The only one that I 'must' have is my blood pressure (the other prescriptions are preventative) and I will carry it with me on my New Zealand flight in the original prescription bottle. That way if my luggage gets lost, I don't have to deal with that issue. Never had any trouble with melting pills so far, but not done a tremendous amount of riding in 100+ degree weather for long stretches.

nokesy

2007 ST1300A
Bike
2012 RSS Spyder
In most cases as long as you have a list of prescribe medicines from your pharmacist that details all the infor you can carry your meds in zip locks if you want. That is how I travel around the world.

Bike
1984 Shadow 700
I would carry a list of RX form my doctor along with the meds. Hae your doctors office number on the letter, and a way to get ahold of them if for some reason you need to get a refill. I make sure i have enough meds for the trip before I leave so the only reason I would need refills is if I lost them or they somehow ere damaged or stolen. Unless you are carrying narcotics and such, teft should not be too much of a problem and the boarder crossing I have done have no issues with meds as long as it is labeled and you have the doctors note...

Bike
ST1300
I've been looking around for state and federal statutes about carrying prescription drugs and it appears to be something we need to be aware of, because in some states it is a felony. I remember just before I left Michigan the state legislature passed an act of that nature and I've seen many references that Connecticut also looks askance at not having the meds in the original container.

Don't want to offend the many LEO's we have on this board, but we must realize that as touring riders we are looked upon as "Bikers" to many and that brings a lot of baggage along with it. A mis-interpretation of the prevailing laws could end up with a rider arrested and the motorcycle impounded. Regardless of the fact that we can prove there is a valid prescription for the med, because in some states it is a chargeable offense if those meds are NOT in the proper container.

Do we have any lawyers aboard that can cite specifics and tell us if there are some things and places that can slip by and others that are strictly enforced?

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I carry my many pills in their original containers on long trips and combine them in a couple of bottles for a weekend trip. I switched to Target pharmacy since they are all over and can quickly verify my prescriptions or do an emergency refill if I mess up, which is highly possible. They are all heart meds so no big deal.

Greg

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
The simple way is to take a pic or scan the pharmacy scrip into your android phone.

Top Bottom