Neck Strain

Bike
2010 ST1300
On the return leg of my trip, from Delaware to NC, I experienced sharp pains in my neck. Taking rest breaks helped but, became necessary more frequently. I have a Helibar handlebar riser and a Corbin seat. Could the problem be a heavy helmet (full face modular) or my seating position? My riding jacket is armored and heavy.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
What kind of windshield are you running? If you're getting a lot of back pressure (sense of being sucked forward) and or turbulence batting your helmet around the windscreen could be your problem....................ff

Bike
1997 st1100
Look up master yoda riding postition. was on bmw forum may help. also used to diff windshield on 700 mile ride to pa one made a big diff.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
On the return leg of my trip, from Delaware to NC, I experienced sharp pains in my neck.
I experience such during the first couple of (longer) runs in the year; especially on boring straight roads and motorways...
Seems that a) the muscles need to adjust to the added weight of the lid, plus b) I unintentionally 'cramp up' my neck... cause once I notice it and start focusing on 'loosing up', thus letting my head slightly wiggle with the road-irregularities and the drag while passing trucks, it quickly goes away. (Nah! I don't look like that dachshund figure on the rear shelf of a Mercedes... ;-) )

I don't have any problems on twisty roads, where I constantly have to turn and level my head for curve view...

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
As we grow older we tend to notice things that have not bothered us in the past. I started riding fairly heavy in the last few years and thing that didn't bother me that first year now bother me. Bad knees, sore shoulders and back, etc. the normal things that get to us as we age. But Something that I have noticed is that one persons fix to a problem is another persons nightmare.

How to deal with aches and pains of riding. First I think is being in better physical condition. And second is that all of us motorcyclist do the same thing, but do the same thing differently. Meaning that guy "A" has Helibars and he says there are great, Guy "B" says his seat is the greatest. That leaves me, so I take two great things and put them together so I have the greatest thing. Well guess what, we are all different. After health and fitness motorcycle ergonomics is most important. This goes beyond the handle bars and seat. It is the whole package. It is like a shoe, if it fits you wear it, if not you find something different.

If you are not comfortable it will not be fun. Fun is what this is all about. Right?

I have the same issue at times on longer rides, more so on long trips with day-after-day riding. Cold temps add to it. I find myself hunching my shoulders up - or pulling my neck down - as I get tired and/or tense and have to keep reminding myself to sit properly (see "Master Yoda" above) Also I find my riding jacket (Olympia AST) collar pulls my neck forward which adds to the strain. I try to keep my neck loose while riding by swiveling it around now and then. By all means, see your doc, chiropractor or PT if symptoms persist.

pete

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
First I think is being in better physical condition.
:plus1:

I broke my neck when I was 15 and would have constant problems if I didn't exercise properly. Weight training helps me dramatically, especially pull-ups, presses, and shrugs; these strengthen the my neck. See your doctor and then see a physical therapist about things you should do which will help you.

Also, check out aerodynamic helmets. My Shoei full face helmet helps, it has a wind spoiler at the back. My Nolan N103 was heavier and produced more wind resistance which buffeted my head. I have the OEM windshield and like the wind in my face. It's not a problem with my neck using the Shoei.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I know a lot of you wont agree, but I wear either a half or 3/4 helmet for just this reason. Modular is usually the heaviest. Go to a bike shop, pick up a modular and then pick up a half. There is a lot more difference then you may think. I have always been a big believer that the more comfortable I am the more likely I am to avoid an accident. With a half helmet I have full mobility without any binding and am able to see the road and crossroads much better. But to each his own.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I've been weight training for about 25 years but, I am trying to concentrate more on the neck area. I took you advise and bought a Shoei GT Air.
Thanks

Brian Lamberts

STOC 8845
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I know a lot of you wont agree, but I wear either a half or 3/4 helmet for just this reason. Modular is usually the heaviest. Go to a bike shop, pick up a modular and then pick up a half. There is a lot more difference then you may think. I have always been a big believer that the more comfortable I am the more likely I am to avoid an accident. With a half helmet I have full mobility without any binding and am able to see the road and crossroads much better. But to each his own.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I think that before I go out and spend money I'll give my motocross helmet a shot. I've been looking at Shoei & Arai helmets, I have the money for a $4 or $5 hundred helmet, but really can't afford one. (Does that make sense?) I'm gonna have to do something about the stock seat as well. Did a 250 mile day over the weekend, it took a couple of days to get over the uber stiff neck and sore tailbone. I'm thinking a Russell Day Long, but if I do that, the money for an expensive lid is not in the cards this year.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just returned from a 5000km maritime tour. It was 6 days riding over an 8 day period, a few of the days were quite long,, at 20 and 14.5 hours each. The rest were only 10 to 12hrs. I really like my Shark Evoline3 3/4 modular helmet, although it is a bit heavy, with bluetooth and video attachments. The old Interstate fairing on my CB1000c has a huge windshield, which seems like you are sitting in a helicopter bubble. The seating position is near perfect for me. For an '83,, it is an excellent sports touring bike. But I came back with some pretty serious neck strain. A month later the damage is still noticeable,,, with a numbing near my right back shoulder blade. All I can put it down to is age, physical conditioning and the intensity of the ride. Hmmm,,, the last two items are under my control,,, come to think of it. Guess I need to plan better, and hit the gym !! Cat'

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Issues with long rides usually start between my shoulder blades.
I experience such on motorways and boring straight mayors were I barely move (it will go away after so 3~5 days riding though, so it seems a matter of muscle training), but I will not suffer any issues in twisty terrain, just because the described head/neck movement in turns loosens up the muscle strains.

Bike
04 ST1300
Its your helmet, its weight. I experienced that when I took a trip this year and covered 775 miles in one day. I started feeling neck pain and could barely ride. Then mid trip, I took my helmet off and shazam, pain was gone. Thinking of going to a half helmet.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I think it has a lot to do with windshield height....too high and the back suction gets you, too low and the wind pushes your helmet/neck back....might try different heights while riding and see if anything changes....good luck.....ff

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I had the neck issue when I rode the ST1100. It went away when I got the Goldwing. With the seating position of the ST my upper body was leaning slightly forward. This meant to look straight ahead I actually had to look up. With the Wing I am more upright and no more neck pain. We did 6,130 miles in 17 days on our Colorado trip in June and I had no neck pain.

So the simple fix is to buy a Goldwing!:D

Brian Lamberts

STOC 8845
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Part of my broken rib, broken collarbone ordeal this past spring was to get some xrays of my right shoulder & neck. Checking for damage and progress in recovering from my injuries. Turns out I also have arthritis in my neck and rotater cuff. Apparently shots of cortisone help with this. But at least there's an explanation for my neck pain.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
If you're riding a sport touring bike with standard bars and you don't have extra-long arms, you're more leaned over than when you're sitting upright. There's a tendancy to tilt your head back to keep it level. This causes a lot of pain over time. Instead, keep your head at the same angle to your body as when you're sitting upright in a chair, and look down the road by rolling your eyes up, not your head. You'll be amazed at the reduction in neck pain. And yes, it takes practice to ride that way.

Top Bottom