Trouble separating right hand fork.

Hi everybody,

I'm replacing the seals and putting in new springs on my 1995 ST1100 S. The left tube separated easily, just like the manual said...but the right...it's not so keen. I've dug the seal out so it's not that or the clip. I've tried sliding the stantion up and down to beat it out and it seems to have stuck, i can tap it back in, but it doesn't rotate freely and now i can't use the sliding up and down motion to separate it...I can see the the top of the bush, and the holes in the base of the stantion are visible. I don't have a good feeling about this....anyone have any good ideas please?:confused:

many thanks

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've tried sliding the stantion up and down to beat it out...
Which normally is the practice to get the upper bushing out the fork bottom...
Can't tell why yours is stuck so intense... was the fork oil very old, dark and contaminated? Maybe crud accumulated in there...
If you're in possession of a heat-gun I'd try to warm up the top of the fork bottom, the thermal expansion might increase the clearance for the top bushing, as well as the heat might soften the crud holding it there...
You might combine that with the use of penetration oil, which might also help to soften/loose whatever has caught in there...

A worst case scenario would be that a PO has tried to glue the bushing in place with some epoxy... but also there some heat might help getting it loose...

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
if you can hold it and apply steady pressure in some way....vice, block of wood, bottle jack, for steady controlled pressure. Going to need to be a bit creative here....
Use some mineral spirits to help cut through what ever is "sticking" . I believe it is just crud in there. Some steady pressure and cleaner should get you free.

OP
OP
Thank you gentlemen, i shall give it a go. the neighbors are begining to wonder what all the swearing is for

Top Bottom