Helmets Arai XD4 Dual Sport Helmet

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
I got the dual sport helmet because I wanted the visor for driving into the sun in the evenings. The helmet fits like a body part; very snug, we'll vented high quality pats & pieces. While my ST is by no means a dual sport bike, this full-face helmet says the visor is fine upto legal highway speeds. With the ST-1300 adjustable windshield I can adjust my ride and am completely protected from sun and wind. So far a great helmet, now to install my Cardo G9. More as I learn . . .

OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Riding, I find some fogging that goes away when cracked; there is a whistle that sets up when the bike windshield is on the way up; not when the windshield is fully down or in riding position (just below my nose). After more riding, I can report there are definitely whistles at various speeds and windshield positions. But it's easy to change something to make it stop. For example at 65 mph (GPS), windshield down I get a whistle from the visor area. Cure: raise the windshield a little, it stops. The Cardo G9 was the easiest best installation yet, the helmet appears built for it. Other observations: The helmet has sharply angled face shield that fits closer to your face and provides much greater file of vision (less like looking out of a tunnel). Helmet has an extensive vent system. Visor completely solves the sun in the eyes issues (a huge safety issue for me). I'm keeping it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tcrooks
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
After driving with this helmet a while I can report there definitely is a fogging issue, inevitable with the close proximity of face shield my face. However, the shield holds any adjustment from closed to fully open and a small cracked-open position cancels the fogging. Wind noise isn't an issue. This helmet fits snugly, very little wind noise and I find myself driving with the windshield in the full down position more often, the helmet design seems to mitigate/cancel wind buffeting.

Bike
1999 ST1100
I know this is an old thread... but i have the XD4.. just came back from a russell seat run from BC Canada...experienced some heavy rain at high elevation. The fogging of the shield was terrible. Even with it cracked part way and the vents open.
Im considering the expensive pinlock visor as a fix.. or the shaving gel treatment on the inside of the shield trick..
the helmet itself is great other than the fogging. Visor is perfect, sound is quiet and summer ventilation is plentiful.

Top Bottom