type of brake pads

Bike
2003 ST 1300
I have an 03 ST 1300and I was wondering are the front brake pads the same as the rear brake pad this is a non ABS bike. Also do you have any recommendations on types of pad I should use. I think my pads are getting a little loose do too I am getting more front end wobble. Thanks In advance.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
They are different, the rear pads are thicker.
Can't comment on the Hondaline pads as I don't use them. They came with the bike when I bought it used and wanted more stopping power.

I used EBC pads before as I find they stop on a dime and give you a nickel change.

Rears stock numbers are FA261 2 HH and the front pads are FA261 1 HH

I just took off my EBC fronts and put these one that I listed below. Wow, for the price and the stopping power, I can't believe it.
They are just as good or better then the EBS's that I just took off.

I got them on eBay from "VGCYCLES".
The brand on the package is "Volar"
The listing on eBay is: "Front & Rear Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads

I paid $17.99 plus free shipping for all 3 sets of pads.
Just paste this in the eBay search if you are interested:

Front & Rear Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads ST

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In the past, the EBCs used to be the same pads for front and rear. That was up until 2008.

In 2008, the front pad size changed so EBC had to adapt.

The OEM pads always have been different front/rear part numbers but in 2008 the front size changed so there is a different front part number for the pre-2008s vs 2008+.

I've always had great performance out of the OEM pads and always stuck with them.

Bike
2003 ST1300
If your '03 does not have ABS, stay with Honda OEM pads. If you bike stops too quickly you could lose traction or even lock up the front tire. ABS will counter lock up. I have had to do a few panic stops, and even though I took longer to stop than other higher friction pads, it was controlled all the way. ( My '03 does not have ABS.)

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST 1300
Thank you all for the responses. I'll check e bay see what kind of deals i can find. Also which oil filter do you guys prefer to run? I've been told purolater our Mobil one. I've been using Mobil one with Mobil one semi synthetic oil.

Byron

STOC #
Something you should consider. The factory pads on the ST1300 are sintered HH rated pads. Like tires that have speed ratings, brakes have friction ratings. Whichever pad you choose should at minimum meet OEM friction rating of HH.

Now saying that I've run EBC since wearing out the factory pads of my '06. I've used their pads in the past on 4 wheelers and have developed a trust in them. They can usually be found cheaper then the factory pads. The correct pad for front and rear of your '03 like my '06 is FA261HH. Being the same pad it is thinner on the rear than the factory pad but that has never been an issue. As mentioned above beginning in '08 the front pad changed and is FA388HH while the rear remained FA261HH. This is from their 2014 catalog.

Organic and or Kevlar pads do not have the same stopping power as HH rated pads so just keep that in mind when you purchase your pads.

Also, before someone else raises the issue of rotor wear with after market pads, my bike has over 100K miles and still on the factory rotors that show no signs of excessive wear.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST 1300
Just ordered some EBC'S off of Amazon for $69 for the set of 4. Gonna give them a try. Thanks for all your responses. Everyone was very helpful!

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
Hi looney2nz1, I have been a Honda dealer mechanic in my past life, as well as riding and wrenching on my own and others for many years.
The advantage with aftermarket pads is ususally price and stopping power. Unfortunatly this does come at a cost in the long run, on your rotors.
I will ONLY use OEM Honda brake pads and NOTHING ELSE. The issue is that the aftermarkets are made for a variety of manufactures and will never match the rotor material, thus creatring to much / little heat, friction and wear.
The Honda (and other mnfr) pads are specifically MATCHED to the rotors material and will give you longevity and saftey with overall cost reduction.
If your racing the bike and need performance brakes, then disregard the forementioned and replace pads, rotors, seals, fluid, tires every race as they do in motoGP class.
OEM pads can be sourced cheaply, I think I paid $90 for a full 3 pr set for my 2006 ST1300ABS from ebay UK dealer....

good luck!

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Also which oil filter do you guys prefer to run?
I have used:
K&N, Mobil, Wix and Honda. All of them had equal performance in my eyes. A Wix is on my bike now and I have 2 Mobil filters in the garage cupboard. I have only cut open the Honda one and it looked as good as new inside the pleated filter media.
These bikes take a long time to wear out and I feel these filters are hardly used when we change them out. As of now, I change the oil filter on every second oil change. Honda states to change the oil every 8,000 miles and I'm going to start doing oil changes every 4,000 miles.

Here are some more choices for you.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Hi looney2nz1, I have been a Honda dealer mechanic in my past life, as well as riding and wrenching on my own and others for many years.
The advantage with aftermarket pads is ususally price and stopping power. Unfortunatly this does come at a cost in the long run, on your rotors.
I will ONLY use OEM Honda brake pads and NOTHING ELSE. The issue is that the aftermarkets are made for a variety of manufactures and will never match the rotor material, thus creatring to much / little heat, friction and wear.
The Honda (and other mnfr) pads are specifically MATCHED to the rotors material and will give you longevity and saftey with overall cost reduction.
If your racing the bike and need performance brakes, then disregard the forementioned and replace pads, rotors, seals, fluid, tires every race as they do in motoGP class.
OEM pads can be sourced cheaply, I think I paid $90 for a full 3 pr set for my 2006 ST1300ABS from ebay UK dealer....

good luck!

:plus1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have used:
K&N, Mobil, Wix and Honda. All of them had equal performance in my eyes. A Wix is on my bike now and I have 2 Mobil filters in the garage cupboard. I have only cut open the Honda one and it looked as good as new inside the pleated filter media.
These bikes take a long time to wear out and I feel these filters are hardly used when we change them out. As of now, I change the oil filter on every second oil change. Honda states to change the oil every 8,000 miles and I'm going to start doing oil changes every 4,000 miles.

Here are some more choices for you.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
I have found damaged K&N filters when I cut them open, Mobil 1 M110 is a good filter, but a little over priced - made by champion labs, I prefer the Bosch 3300 filter, better design at half the price with both ends sealed, so it filters through the media, and does not just flow out the open end, as the Honda OEM filter does etc. The Purolator appears to use the same media and cartridge as the Bosch 3323 - slightly longer can etc.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I picked up a set of the Galfer brake pads this weekend since they had them on sale at Cycle Gear (but the fronts, rears are free).

After bringing them home and measuring them (3.4mm front, 5mm rear), also finding out they are the least grippy of the pads... they are going back.
Ordering a set of EBC's HH. I will be towing a trailer this summer and want something with some bite.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I think my pads are getting a little loose do too I am getting more front end wobble. Thanks In advance.
No one else has yet mentioned this, but if you have front end wobble I think you could have issues other than (or maybe in addition to) brake pads. Also, if you're planning to replace the fronts, have you looked at the rear pads too?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I have an 03 ST 1300and I was wondering are the front brake pads the same as the rear brake pad this is a non ABS bike. Also do you have any recommendations on types of pad I should use. I think my pads are getting a little loose do too I am getting more front end wobble. Thanks In advance.
OEM pads are different front and rear. Sames for ABS pads.
EBC had one sku that worked front or back but added a separate sku a little thicker for the rear similar to the oem rear. Either still works for the rear.
08 and up has a different sku for the front. The rear didn't change.

Pads shouldn't cause a wobble. Do you feel something in the brake lever indicating a warped rotor?

95k, most only cause what was available on EBC's, rotors still within spec here.
For the most part pad material is biting on pad material stuck to the rotor, not chewing up the rotor metal.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Thank you to all this is good information as I have replaced all my OEM pads with EBC, they seem larger and thicker that the OEM pads. A few members say OEM and others are going with after market. I would guess that the pads were buiit to match the rotors and the braking system.

I think the next change I will be going back to OEM,.

Tim

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Thank you all for the responses. I'll check e bay see what kind of deals i can find. Also which oil filter do you guys prefer to run? I've been told purolater our Mobil one. I've been using Mobil one with Mobil one semi synthetic oil.
Don't buy cheepo eBay Chinese pads. I can attest to the quality of both OEM and EBC pads on a ST1300.

Been using Purlator PureOne PL14612 oil filters and Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic for 10 years.

for 10 years.

Top Bottom