type of brake pads

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have EBC pads front and rear. Wouldn't get them again. When new, the front pads put a tad to much pressure on the front disks so the front wheel doesn't spin as freely as the OEM pads allow. However, my front disks don't get hot with EBC pads. The rear EBC pads don't come with the heat liners like the OEM pads.

For me these are deal breakers (pun intended). :(

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
the front pads put a tad to much pressure on the front disks so the front wheel doesn't spin as freely as the OEM pads allow
By the end of the first ride the front pads will be seated and ground down just a bit. So from that point on they will only touch the front disc as much as an OEM pad would. The brake pads release clearance is a function of the caliper retracting not the thickness of the pad. Any extra thickness after that point is just longer life, well IMO.

The rear EBC pads don't come with the heat liners like the OEM pads.
Mine had a perforated stainless steel shield clipped on it's back. Is that new ?or maybe it depends on what specific line of pad you bought? Mine were the newer 1/2 HH model number.
EBC rear.JPG

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
By the end of the first ride the front pads will be seated and ground down just a bit. So from that point on they will only touch the front disc as much as an OEM pad would. The brake pads release clearance is a function of the caliper retracting not the thickness of the pad. Any extra thickness after that point is just longer life, well IMO.

Mine had a perforated stainless steel shield clipped on it's back. Is that new ?or maybe it depends on what specific line of pad you bought? Mine were the newer 1/2 HH model number.
EBC rear.JPG
My EBC did not seat like you suggested, yes they're in correctly. I have about a 1000 miles on them, I'm fairly light on brakes and shift more frequently. The perforated pad you show is not the heat shield, the OEM has a white pad in there. I've been on the phone with Larry about this and he confirmed my issue with the pads. He calmed me down quite a bit as I was ready to start rebuilding calipers.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
This thread seems as good as any.

I need some help here. The first time I swapped my brake pads, I used EBC pads.

This time, I'm going back to OEM, but I'll be danged if they aren't too wide to fit into the caliper again. For the fronts, I ordered 06455-MEA-672 as the Honda Parts Direct site recommended for a 2003 Non-ABS.

The EBC pads fell right in, but the Hondas are so wide, I can't possibly get them to slip in, even with the pistons compressed flat in the caliper:

Pads.jpg

When inserted, the pads are so thick that they meet with no space for the brake disc in between them.

Do I have the wrong pads, or the wrong technique?

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
This thread seems as good as any.

I need some help here. The first time I swapped my brake pads, I used EBC pads.

This time, I'm going back to OEM, but I'll be danged if they aren't too wide to fit into the caliper again. For the fronts, I ordered 06455-MEA-672 as the Honda Parts Direct site recommended for a 2003 Non-ABS.

The EBC pads fell right in, but the Hondas are so wide, I can't possibly get them to slip in, even with the pistons compressed flat in the caliper.
When inserted, the pads are so thick that they meet with no space for the brake disc in between them.

Do I have the wrong pads, or the wrong technique?
You have the rear pads, they have the little notch in them.
Purchase the front pads with no notch in then and you'll be fine.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
You have the rear pads, they have the little notch in them.
Purchase the front pads with no notch in then and you'll be fine.
The receipt says that the 06455-MEA-672 are the fronts. Google shows that 06455-MEA-672 is the fronts on every website, too.

So, I'm still convinced those are the front pads; I just can't get them in.

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
EASt,
Why is one pad notched and the other pad has no notch in it.
Are they the same thickness.

My google search stated that those fit a VTX1300.

I'm sure you need these numbers for a 2003.
Front: 06455-MCS-G02
Rear: 06435-MCS-G02

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The receipt says that the 06455-MEA-672 are the fronts. Google shows that 06455-MEA-672 is the fronts on every website, too.

So, I'm still convinced those are the front pads; I just can't get them in.
Check out the thread https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?135125-ST1300-Brakes-Avoiding-the-Pitfalls. In this thread you'll see that the OEM pads in the photo are rear pads. The front pads have four separate pads. It's also a good reference for getting your new brake pads in.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Turns out, Honda Direct sent me the pads for a VTX1300, not an ST1300.

However, now I have the proper pads, and they're just a shade too long to seat in the pin. What gives? Do I need to pull off the metal shield from the back of it?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
They're up to the stops and into the springs nice and tight.

I decided to overlay the old EBC pads I just took out, and was surprised to see this:

The OEM pads are taller than the EBC, and this explains why they don't fit!

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Make sure you are not trying to use a Honda rear pad in the front or a front in the rear. Two different part #. The ST1300 2003 Front pad # is 06455-MCS-G02 Rear pad Part # 06435-MCS-G02 . MY understanding is that in 2008 a caliper change was made and the pad Part# is different.

I have always used OEM pads on my 2003 ST1300A and never had an issue.

Last edited:
STOC #
Looks like you still have the incorrect pads. As Chuck mentioned, the pads and calipers changed in 08, and the part numbers are different and are not interchangeable.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Make sure you are not trying to use a Honda rear pad in the front or a front in the rear. Two different part #. The ST1300 2003 Front pad # is 06455-MCS-G02 Rear pad Part # 06435-MCS-G02 . MY understanding is that in 2008 a caliper change was made and the pad Part# is different.

I have always used OEM pads on my 2003 ST1300A and never had an issue.
The order taker never asked for my year. Dangit.

Looks like you still have the incorrect pads. As Chuck mentioned, the pads and calipers changed in 08, and the part numbers are different and are not interchangeable.
I'm really getting upset. Honda Direct won't take the pads back after I open them. I'm out $50 so far because they keep sending the wrong pads. :mad:

STOC #
that's pretty terrible customer service, not asking for the year of the bike. :(

If it's any consolation, I am sure someone here on the site has an 08 that will need a set of pads and would be willing to offset your costs.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The order taker never asked for my year. Dangit.

I'm really getting upset. Honda Direct won't take the pads back after I open them. I'm out $50 so far because they keep sending the wrong pads
. :mad:
You should be able to sell them here with no problem.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wait... they sent VTX pads after you ordered ST and they say you are stuck with them since you opened them up?

I would be having a few more words with them.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wait... they sent VTX pads after you ordered ST and they say you are stuck with them since you opened them up?

I would be having a few more words with them.
So would I!! Have them send you the correct pads.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
They have done so:

1. I used their on-line selection tool for a 2003 ST1300, and the box contained brake pads for a VTX1300. I assumed they must be the same. Not until I opened them up did I realize they weren't right.
  2. I returned two of the three sets (I have one opened set of VTX pads) after calling them, and they gave me a return number and shipped out the right pads that same day. I paid to ship the remaining pads back.
  3. Three days later, my ST1300 OEM brake pads arrived... but they were the second generation pads. Again, not learning from my mistake, I opened one pair of front pads to realize they didn't fit.
  4. I phoned them this morning, and they actually called the local Honda store to verify the correct pads needed for pre-2008 ST1300s. They assured me the right pads were on the way, along with a shipping label to return the wrong ST1300 pads.

In the end, I'm out the cost of three first-gen pads + one VTX front pad set + shipping to return the two VTX pads. I ordered on line to avoid paying taxes at the local store. Not again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom