Fork oil level

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
So I've started the process of changing the fork oil and bushings in my forks. And I've filled the fork with 21+- oz of oil, but the measurement to the top of the fork is low.

Should the oil level only be 22oz? Is the 22oz a max fill? Or is the 22oz a min fill, and you fill to the 2.4 inch mark?

thanks,
Tom de

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If the forks are completely dry the capacity given in the manual (621-622 ml ????? IIRC) is the amount that gives a level of 2.4" or 62 mm. If the forks were not completely drained then filling with the capacity given will likely result in a level above 62 mm or overfilled.

I learned to pump them repeatedly then let them drain upside down overnight to completely drain them. The cartridges will retain oil and giving them time to drain is necessary. Otherwise trying to fill to the 62 mm level by volume alone was problematic. That has been my experience.

At any rate the definitive measure is how much oil it takes to fill to 62 mm (no spring, leg and tube completely collapsed).

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
If the forks are completely dry the capacity given in the manual (621-622 ml ????? IIRC) is the amount that gives a level of 2.4" or 62 mm. If the forks were not completely drained then filling with the capacity given will likely result in a level above 62 mm or overfilled.

I learned to pump them repeatedly then let them drain upside down overnight to completely drain them. The cartridges will retain oil and giving them time to drain is necessary. Otherwise trying to fill to the 62 mm level by volume alone was problematic. That has been my experience.

At any rate the definitive measure is how much oil it takes to fill to 62 mm (no spring, leg and tube completely collapsed).
Absolutely correct! Volume can be misleading and should only be used as an estimate. Drain, clean, drain, fill, pump, let settle, then use a suction tool to measure to the correct level, as described.

You can make the tool with a syringe, plastic tubing and a small metal tube. I use BelRay or Honda 10w on refill.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I drained the fork completely. IIRC 21.6 oz (621ml) is the measurement. But that put my level well below the 2.4" mark. I don't want to little, and I don't want to much. But I'm leaning toward filling it to 2.4".

The manual wasn't very helpful, it gave the capacity, and the next step was to fill it level to the 2.4". I kinda just wanted to verify that it would be ok, to go over the capacity (21oz, 621ml) to get to the 2.4" level.

Thanks,
Tom

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Apples to oranges, but the Sonic spring upgrade also has you overfill the fork oil.....reduces the air volume "spring"...........I'd go with more not less, my 2 cents..........ff

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Apples to oranges, but the Sonic spring upgrade also has you overfill the fork oil.....reduces the air volume "spring"...........I'd go with more not less, my 2 cents..........ff
I'm pretty sure the Sonic spring install gives an oil level of 135 mm - much less oil than the 62 mm stock level.

To the original question I would fill to 62 mm with as much oil as required.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Thanks for the correction........my bad memory.......been a few years since I put them in......I knew it was different..........125 was the recommendation I got from the enclosed instructions...........what was it RoseAnnaAnnaDanna used to say? "Never Mind"

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I was under the impression that you measured the oil level with the springs and spacer in, forks collapsed. Was I incorrect?

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was under the impression that you measured the oil level with the springs and spacer in forks collapsed. Was I incorrect?
Yes, the manual shows no spring in place when filling and setting oil level.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Measure to 62mm with the spring out, and the fork collapsed (after cleaning out inside and making sure the cartridge was completely empty).

Top Bottom