Picking up a Versys

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
We'll if everything goes right, looks like I will be the proud new owner of a 2011 Versys next week. It's already set up with hard bags, grip heaters, laminar lip, and tail bag. Low miles. Hopping that this will be a good fit for my riding needs at this point. Should be a fun ride. I'll post pics when I get my hands on it.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Congrats. I've thought about adding one to the stable many times. Looking forward to your reviews.

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Well I couldn't wait till next week. I made the 200 mile ride over today to pick up the Versys.
Its a 2011 model with 500 miles. Has hard bags, grip heaters, aftermarket windshield and factory tail bag.

Overall Its a sweet ride.
I don't think it has the Honda fit and finish, but is well done. Paint is nice and the plastic is well done.

Really spunky for a 650. Will run 80mph down the highway with ease. Almost hard to keep it under 40.
Light weight. Feels like riding a dirt bike.
The exhaust note from the parallel twin sounds like a thumper. If I had my eyes closed I would swear its a single cylinder. The power delivery is amazing for such a small CC bike. Its no torque monster, but get it over 3K and it really comes alive. Reminds me of riding a thumper.
Vibration is at a minimum. There is some around the 5k rpm mark but nothing intrusive. The down side is this is around 65-70mph. Nothing that can't be lived with.

Mirrors are almost useless above idle. They vibrate enough that you can't make out any details. Strange is that I have never felt any vibration in the handlebars.
Shifting is really stiff. Upshifts are not bad, but downshifts almost require me to raise my foot off the peg. I'm not sure if this will break in with a few more miles or if its normal for the bike.

Overall I'm impressed so far. The ride home had a terrible crosswind and the bike handled it very well. The shield provides better protection than it would appear and the little bit of fairing works well.

I will post a few more impressions after some miles in the saddle. These are just my first initial thoughts.

Attachments

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Nice!

There are lots of mirrors that can fix the shakes for low dollars. Check the Versys board for ideas.

If there is a vibration at a speed you ride at regularly, try a smaller rear sprocket or a larger counter. Again, check the Versys board.

The light weight is such a treat after riding the ST...very different animals.

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Nice!

There are lots of mirrors that can fix the shakes for low dollars. Check the Versys board for ideas.

If there is a vibration at a speed you ride at regularly, try a smaller rear sprocket or a larger counter. Again, check the Versys board.

The light weight is such a treat after riding the ST...very different animals.
Thanks for the ideas.
Is the stiff shifting normal?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Downshifting may just be a slightly different relationship between your footpeg and the shifter than your last bike. It's also effectively brand new so you may have some break in. Has the oil been changed?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I was at the local bike show today, and saw a 2012 Versys 1000 demo bike with hard bags... talked to the guy that rode it for all of its 7500 kms...... sure got me thinking..... 4 cyl., 530 lbs, a little less flashy than the Tenere, but hey, worth considering for the future. Looked real good to me! And I could flat foot it. Hmmmm.

OP
OP
Smallville

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Well the versys should be headed to a new home this coming week.
It just wasn't for me. Several small reasons and the most important is that the wife was not comfortable on it.

So we went and picked up a NC700X today. I'll post about it in another thread.
Thanks everyone for the advise on the Versys. Hopefully I can get the same advise with the NC.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sorry the V didn't work out for you and your wife. Let us know how it goes with the NC.

Top Bottom