Synthetic Brake Grease?

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Went to the auto parts store for silicon brake grease. They didn't have any, but they had this synthetic caliper grease.

The grease is recommended for all pins and clips on brakes. It is also waterproof.

The manual calls for silicon grease. To me it sounded fine to use, but having already goofed several times, I thought I'd see what ya'll thought. I this OK to use?

Attachments

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Depends on where you intend to use it...
For backsides and tips of brake pads, them hanger pins and such, copper slip serves absolutely fine...
For those 'float pins', inside the rubber boots for the lateral movement of them callipers, a distinctive silicone/ceramics grease is advised (at least that's what I'm using on cars and bikes for years) which will not create havoc on the rubber parts...
Or are you referring to 'calliper assembly paste', which is used on new rings and pistons during overhauling?

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Depends on where you intend to use it...
I don't know if it can be used on the rubber seals
I'm looking to use it on the guide pins and clips. Not to be placed on friction plates. That's what the instructions say. I don't intend on placing on the seals.

The instructions also say it can be used on the back plates of pads. Not sure what that means since the ST pads seem to be one piece. I didn't intend on doing this anyhow.

OP
OP
Reginald

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Then this stuff should be good to use. It was right next to that CRC product and this stuff says Synthetic Caliper Grease and says for use on all brake systems.

Besides, I can't find silicon brake grease, just this synthetic stuff. I've tried three auto parts stores now. Plus, I don't want a pound of it; I won't be working on that many brakes.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'd recommend keeping any type of grease off any parts exposed (e.g., clips and pins) which may get dirt attracted. That has bitten me in the past. Those parts should be clean and dry, free to float.....

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Went to the auto parts store for silicon brake grease. They didn't have any, but they had this synthetic caliper grease.

The grease is recommended for all pins and clips on brakes. It is also waterproof.

The manual calls for silicon grease. To me it sounded fine to use, but having already goofed several times, I thought I'd see what ya'll thought. I this OK to use?
It works fine on my calipers

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Besides, I can't find silicon brake grease, just this synthetic stuff. I've tried three auto parts stores now. Plus, I don't want a pound of it; I won't be working on that many brakes.
The stuff you want is silicone (with an E) grease. The reason you want that and nothing else is that petroleum-based greases don't get along well with rubber boots and seals. Copper grease is a petroleum product. Keep it away from the brakes.

If you don't want a tub, get a quarter-ounce package of McNett Aquaseal silicone grease. If you live near any dive shop worth its salt, they'll stock it, or you can get it online. Not only is it good around the brakes, you use it for the clutch pivot and boot and as a free bonus, rubbing a light coating into the saddlebag seals will keep them nice and supple.

--Mark

Top Bottom