jonjonboo went down yesterday--rearended by HD ridin brother

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
MSF courses are a great beginning, but you need to continue practicing what you learned in class to develop real skills.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I disagree MSF is all about money with very little training in the program -- When riding a motorcycle everything on the road wants to KILL YOU
So what's a better way? They have to get the basics somehow.......kinda like teaching sexual awareness and birth control......if you don't know about it how can you learn without dire results? Interested in your thoughts....................ff

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Why not have your brother make a claim with his insurance? It should cover both bikes if he has full coverage.
In a logical world that would be the correct thing to do---my brothers (all 4 of them) are from the deep swamps of Louisiana. He would take it personal and that would be the end of having a brother (stupid pride) His pride is why he has not taken a safety course and most likely never will, all 4 brothers ride Harleys and I think you might be getting the mentality of the problem for me. I am going back to my old job in Germany, fly out tomorrow, be there a few years. Can't ship the bike now until it's fixed. GRRRRRR!!

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
This happened on one of my group rides a few years ago. One of the riders decided they were going to split from the group. No warning, just turned off. One of his friends slowed down wondering if he should have followed him. The guy behind him (Honda VTX 1300) was waving to the departed rider, looking at him instead of where he was going. Locked up his rear wheel hit a Harley bagger, and went down. The Harley never went down.

Waving causes a lot of accidents. When I wave I try to keep my eyes straight ahead.

Have fun in Germany. Can you post a link to that CB setup?

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
This happened on one of my group rides a few years ago. One of the riders decided they were going to split from the group. No warning, just turned off. One of his friends slowed down wondering if he should have followed him. The guy behind him (Honda VTX 1300) was waving to the departed rider, looking at him instead of where he was going. Locked up his rear wheel hit a Harley bagger, and went down. The Harley never went down.

Waving causes a lot of accidents. When I wave I try to keep my eyes straight ahead.

Have fun in Germany. Can you post a link to that CB setup?
here is some info on the CB
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?99585-Installing-J-amp-M-CB
http://www.claysradioshop.com/jm_products_cb.htm

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Glad nobody was seriously hurt. I'm still trying to get over the fact that he didn't know Harley's had self cancelling turn signals...:D

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I'm still trying to get over the fact that he didn't know Harley's had self cancelling turn signals...
Believe me---he heard this from me (among several other's) Before we got back on the road, which took us about 30 minutes from time of impact, I shook his hand and we both agreed to agree --STuff HAPPENS!! Although I have mentioned after we got home that we will not ride together again until he has training and a figgin CB radio.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
A few random Redfish thoughts here:

I have ridden with Jon. I like and respect him and can say that he rides very well. He does not want or need me lecturing him on what he should do or how he should ride. He already knows what his brother needs. I have my own ideas about what his brother needs but...

I have suffered the agony of having one of my cousins crash his Harley behind me due to not paying attention/rear brake instead of front brake/pulling a heavy trailer. I thought he was dead, in fact I will always believe he was dead for a while. That feeling of complete horror... I hope none of you ever have to suffer as I did that morning. Six days in ICU instead of completing that year's Best Ride Ever as well as missing out on the Best Ride Ever the following year is a high price to pay for some simple mistakes. Still better than paying the Ultimate Price.

Bike to bike comm systems are AWESOME! Being able to say "Look at that "fill in this blank" to your left" instead of trying to remember it for the next stop is wonderful. Dad and I can share the ride that much more while still enjoying the individual freedoms of the bike. I can tell him about anything that matters, whether it is something dangerous on the road or interesting to see off of the road. My Harley cousin actually asked me about joining in that comm circle for this year's trip. Of course, he loves the stereo on his new CVO Street Glide so that dog will not hunt...

The Comm System comes with a heavy liability. You may have to hear the very last words someone very dear to you will ever say. The things we say as we are crashing or about to crash are usually not pleasant. You don't have to ask me how I know.

Jon, I would be happy to look after your ST while you are in Germany! And don't worry, it already has a few scratches...

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
"The Comm System comes with a heavy liability. You may have to hear the very last words someone very dear to you will ever say. The things we say as we are crashing or about to crash are usually not pleasant. You don't have to ask me how I know." Redfish

I have never given that one moments thought.. but now I am, thanks a lot for that, as if we didn't have enough to worry about in this world.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Sounds like the damage was minor which is a good thing. You can't really control how much attention someone is paying at a particular time, training or not. Case in point, I ride with a real good friend who is a good rider and has attended the MSF course. We were on a two lane country road doing about 60 with me in the lead and him a respectable 40-50 yards behind me. We came upon a car and after following it for a mile or two it began to decelerate rather quickly, very quickly in fact and just before stopping it turned on the left turn signal. I wasn't following too closely, but by the time I figured out he was going to turn left I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to stop in time. That's why the recommended following distances give you plenty of room to stop. My buddy wasn't looking ahead when this started and by the time he realized what was happening he didn't have time to stop. He ended up passing the car on the left as it waited for traffic coming the other way to pass. He ended up riding the center line between the turning car and oncoming traffic. Just a bit of inattention at precisely the wrong time--when someone else did something totally unexpected, was all it took.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Jon, I would be happy to look after your ST while you are in Germany! And don't worry, it already has a few scratches...
update: I finaly got the chance to pull the bike apart and check some damage, not pretty. All damage on right side---Staintune exhaust bent inward beyond repair @$1500, entire saddlbag destroyed @$700-800, entire blinker mirror assembly @ $200, bent engine guard @ $100, highway peg and cover ruined @ $70, lower cover broke @ $80 .
Still need to pull main cowling and check. I called brother when I found out out is making a claim on his bike (hit a dog) bark!!!! I am now making a claim against his insurance.

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I am in Germany now (been here many times) and out of curiosity I wanted to check the local listing for used ST1300 prices here (also checked new prices). It seems all prices new and used tend to be @ 30% higher than the USA. Was considering just buying another bike to ride while here but dont think I want to spend that much. My road rash and pain seems to be subsiding now, I want to thank everyone for the support and kind words, I was stressed a lot those days just before getting on the plane.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
I am just disappointed that we did not get the opportunity to ride together more. Good luck, don't be a stranger. Keep us posted on how things are going for you over there.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Good to hear from you Jon glad you made it over OK.
I say just keep looking, you may eventually find a deal over there, tho it may not be a Pan (ST)
There are some other fun bikes made I hear
How do they like the LA accent over there?
Take care

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Due to personal reasons, my employ is cut short in Germany and I am happy to say that my bike is now repaired and road worthy again. I did bend the right Staintune back after heating it up with an acetylene heat tip. Was bent 4 inches in where the pipe meets the can, it blued but with some polish the blue came out. I rode it a few days with the stock exhaust, hated it. Once ya go Staintune------ yer ruined for that sound and feel. I had to do some bending and tweeking on forward fairing frames, plastic repairs, painting, new parts here and there with the most expensive being a new right saddlebag--ouch!! I must say the past months knowing my bike was down and nothing I could do while being overseas got me down. The ride I took this morning with @ 72-78 Fahrenheit made it all good :usflag2:

Bike
92 ST1100
Due to personal reasons, my employ is cut short in Germany and I am happy to say that my bike is now repaired and road worthy again. I did bend the right Staintune back after heating it up with an acetylene heat tip. Was bent 4 inches in where the pipe meets the can, it blued but with some polish the blue came out. I rode it a few days with the stock exhaust, hated it. Once ya go Staintune------ yer ruined for that sound and feel. I had to do some bending and tweeking on forward fairing frames, plastic repairs, painting, new parts here and there with the most expensive being a new right saddlebag--ouch!! I must say the past months knowing my bike was down and nothing I could do while being overseas got me down. The ride I took this morning with @ 72-78 Fahrenheit made it all good :usflag2:
Nice!.........here on western slope of Colo., settin' at 98F right now this afternoon.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
We'll glad you got the bike back together and have it back on the road. Enjoy it and watch your mirrors at all times!!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Jonjonboo, glad to here you're back in the states. I found another ST, an 09, and I'm farkling it up. I'll be takin a little ride to N. GA in Sept. Meeting with the Floribama group, staying at Vinny's, and riding (flying) through the mountains. Glad your bike is back on the road as well. We'll have to do another RTE soon, to catch up.:tb1:

OP
OP
jonjonboo
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Nice!.........here on western slope of Colo., settin' at 98F right now this afternoon.
whew!! 98F in Colo. ? The weather was so nice here in central Louisiana today---after the firework display in my little community I decided the crisp cool air was perfect for more riding. My wife understood and said "John--go riding" of course I would have went anyway. Got home @ 0130 and the temp read 66F. Lovin it

Top Bottom