Rear shock damping

Bike
08 St1300
What is a good indication that your shock has lost all its damping oil? My rear suspension sure seems bouncy. I have the damper cranked within a quarter turn of full and it doesn't seem to help. Just got through changing the rear tire and saw a lot of black debris on the front part of the swing arm. Wondered if this is shock oil and dirt accumulating. Never saw any oil dripping underneath like I did when the shock leaked on my 95 Concours. I can't swallow the cost of a replacement shock. Is there someone who rebuilds these at a reasonable fee?

Pat

rhc

Bike
2005 St1300
Pat, Please check the pre-load adjuster first before looking into a leaking shock. Without the proper pre-load, the shock would feel bouncy. You may want to read the post:https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?106715-ST1300-Pre-load-Fluid-Replacement

Save some real money and make the pre-load adjuster work correctly. It is a easy fix and will make the pre-load settings return to normal.

See if that gets your pre-load working again. Please note the stock shock is not re-buildable. It can be modified to be re-buildable, which is what I had done with my own. Racetech did all the work with a new spring and valving plus the nitrogen fill valve which then makes it re-buildable.

Ken

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
To get an idea on how to setup the dampening on the rear shock and to see how it compares to your bike, look at Dave's YouTube video here.

OP
OP
Hyzakp
Bike
08 St1300
I'm pretty sure that all the damping oil has leaked out of the shock. Removed the right side cover to inspect it and could see a coating of oil around the bottom of the shock. While searching the web for a replacement shock I came across the Progressive 465 without the remote preload adjustment for $386. A lot cheaper than the same unit with the remote preload adj. What makes these so much more expensive? I won't be changing the preload that often so thinking of going with the shock without the RPLA. Any real disadvantage to this other than having to take the side cover off to change the preload?
Pat

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
In the world of motorcycling,,,the remote pre-load adjuster is a new addition. My first few motorcycles had a spanner in the tool kit to adjust the shocks. This RPLA is just a convenience, if you need a new shock and don't care to pay for the remote adjuster,don't. You do loose the ability to adjust the damping, too. As you said once it's adjusted you don't really adjust it very much..............

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm pretty sure that all the damping oil has leaked out of the shock. Removed the right side cover to inspect it and could see a coating of oil around the bottom of the shock. While searching the web for a replacement shock I came across the Progressive 465 without the remote preload adjustment for $386. A lot cheaper than the same unit with the remote preload adj. What makes these so much more expensive? I won't be changing the preload that often so thinking of going with the shock without the RPLA. Any real disadvantage to this other than having to take the side cover off to change the preload?
Pat
Unless the prices have gone way up it is probably pretty even cost to have RaceTech rebuild and upgrade your shock. You will retain damping and preload adjustability. I have been very happy with a RT massage of the original shock. There are one or two folks here that will loan you a shock while yours is being upgraded.

My NC has the old threaded ring preload adjusters and its a pain to change preload. No way would l want the ST like that.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
its a pain to change preload
.........Literally.....usually the pin wrench slips off at least once and whatever your hand hits causes it to hurt.....................:hurt1:.........I'd do the rebuild of the original..................ff

Top Bottom