Custom Molded Earplugs for Veterans

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have mentioned it here before but thought I would mention it again as we have new riders all the time.

Back in 2007 I discovered that if you go to the Audiology Department at the VA that you can get fitted for molded ear plugs at no cost. Well I should clarify. You might need to be in the VA system with a disability and maybe a certain % rating but for those of us that are can get them. I don't recall how I found this out but I have had ear problems that are service connected in which I have been through several operations to try and fix. I think I was at the ENT clinic for a followup once and mentioned something about wearing ear plugs on my motorcycle and they said to get fitted for the custom ones at the Audiology Department. I went over there, set up an appointment and they had them made.

Fast forward to today. I was back there for a followup today again and had a hearing test at Audiology and when I sat down I asked about having a new pair made. That I had lost one a while back. He looked it up and said it was 07 when the last set was made and I was due for new ones anyhow then asked if they were for swimming or noise. I asked what the difference was. I use them 99% of the time for noise but was thinking about coating them with a bit of petroleum jelly for some snorkeling. I don't do it a lot but we are going on a cruise and I probably will then. He set me up for the swimming ones saying that the material is a little different (they float) but they both work for sound protection as well. Even though I wasn't there for the impressions he took the extra 10 minutes to get them and sent off the order. I should have them delivered to the house in 2 weeks or so.

Not sure how often they should be replaced but I guess every 7 years is a good start. Probably more often than that.

So, if you are a disabled vet and want some ear plugs, give the Audiology Department a call and see if you can set up an appointment.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The bad news is I don't qualify. The good news is I don't have to go scrounging for my 214. Good info though.

OP
OP
sennister
Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The bad news is I don't qualify. The good news is I don't have to go scrounging for my 214. Good info though.
Did they tell you that you didn't qualify? I am not sure what the requirements are and it might help others.

In my case have a 30% disability with Service Connected Disability with ear issue from blast damage.

So I am not sure if I am getting it for free because of the ear stuff that is service connected or just because I am in the system as a disabled vet.

Before when I mentioned it there were a few people that got them for free.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No I don't have any disability. Maybe I should have said "good" and "better" rather than "bad" and "good".

Maybe I should say "good" and "great!" I'd really hate to have to go dig up my 214.

8-BALL

GeriatricMutantNinja Norwegian
Bike
ST1300 - NT700
STOC #
Make a miniature copy of the DD214 and carry it in your wallet ...mask out the SS#. Worked for a carry permit in Polk county.

:cool:

Top Bottom