fork cap will not budge

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Great to hear ya finally go it. Have to believe someone confused inch lbs with foot lbs or something similar on last assembyl. :(

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Good to hear that it finally came out. Did you have to resort to pie?:D

John

OP
OP
I just broke 'em loose...retreated back into the house and had a beer to celebrate.( Someone already took the last slice of shoo fly pie from the fridge!- mumbles something under his breath)removal, cleaning, and inspection is slated for tomorrow. But once broken loose they unscrew pretty easyly . So I doubt if the threads are damaged. . Right now the oil is draining.....it's hard to believe oil can get so black!

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Did you have to resort to pie?
No one should ever have to resort to pie. It should be done willingly and right out of the gate! MMMmmm... Pie!

Glad to hear to got the cap loose! Can't wait to see what you find. Sounds like it wasn't cross threaded and Magilla Gorilla transposed some numbers and then did ft-lbs. Could O-rings have somehow sealed it shut?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Glad to hear to got the cap loose! Can't wait to see what you find. Sounds like it wasn't cross threaded and Magilla Gorilla transposed some numbers and then did ft-lbs. Could O-rings have somehow sealed it shut?
I wonder if a lazy shop tech shot it back into the tube with a Snap-On impact and didn't care what the torque value was set to. As shallow as those threads are on the aluminum cap I'd be surprised if they didn't strip out if grossly overtorqued into the steel tube though, so its a bit of a mystery. Perhaps corrosion played a part in it. Given the non-effort normally required for this task its a bit surprising to hear multiple people having this problem.

OP
OP
Ok,yesterday didn't work out. Today I did get to the forks. It turned out, that there was no damage done to the tubes- they're beefier than I expected. As it turned out no trace of chemical thread locker. And the cap wasn't cross threaded either! I blended oils to get 7.5wt-I wanted to experience a slightly softer front end . I did the left fork first, followed by the right one. Working by myself the right was a pain, with only one set of hands. I ended up making a plate and two bar clamps to compress the spring, so I could work on the damper rod's connection. Pretty much uneventful...thanks for all the help, guys!

Hmm - interesting. I am having the exact same issue on my new-to-me '96 ST1100T. Soaked in penetrating oil when felt was stiff.

17mm hex on a 1/2" drive Breaker bar (3 foot) with scaffolding pole (3 foot) isn't moving it. The bar feels like it is going to break before the nut moves. Time to break out the air impact driver methinks from reading above. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll try.

Mike

Top Bottom