New Compact Travel CPAP

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Came across this while checking to see if AEIOMED ever recovered from the fire a few years ago that put them out of the CPAP business: Human Design Medical Z-1

It's like the Walkman of CPAP machines. Not cheap, but nothing CPAP-related ever is.

I ran down the power supply that comes with it and found that it's 15VDC, so there's no quick, direct connection to a 12V supply. The good news is that DC-DC converters that can do 12 to 15 are pretty easy to come by. So there's hope on that front, anyway.

--Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can also buy a used model on the cheap. I just got one for free. It's a model that runs on 12v dc and uses a 2.5mm plug. It'll be my travel machine.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The blower may be $575, but with a glorified battery holder and a battery pack its over $1K, with extra battery packs around $265. I would be very tempted to home brew my own.

They also offer a disposable (up to 7 days?) in-line Heat-Moisture-Exchanger (HME) for $5.95 ea, a passive way to try and keep the humidity up. It may help for those who need humidity on the road, without having to resort to a power hungry humidifier. But I have my doubts as to effectiveness...

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The blower may be $575, but with a glorified battery holder and a battery pack its over $1K, with extra battery packs around $265. I would be very tempted to home brew my own.
Me too, because it's not like you can't assemble a decent 12V source for much less than the $250 a pop they want for the batteries.

My gripe with the shell is that they designed it in a way that makes the thing thicker instead of wider. There's a spot in my briefcase that would easily hold a Z1, tubing, mask and power supply, but adding the battery shell would be a no-go. For now, I'll continue schlepping my S9.

They also offer a disposable (up to 7 days?) in-line Heat-Moisture-Exchanger (HME) for $5.95 ea, a passive way to try and keep the humidity up. It may help for those who need humidity on the road, without having to resort to a power hungry humidifier. But I have my doubts as to effectiveness...
Transcend has those for their travel machines, too. But for not much more than a trip to Starbucks, it might be worth trying one out. If the humidity I exhale is any indication, all it would take is something to catch it long enough for the machine to blow it back into my mask. (I've never run mine without the humidifier. I'll have to try that one night.)

--Mark

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Bummer. I wasn't about to jump off and buy one, but I think if I were to buy a machine for travel, it would get run for a week or two at home before being allowed to fly solo.

--Mark

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've got both a Resmed S9 Auto, and an old Respironics PR-S1 which will work off 12V which I take traveling. No, I haven't rigged up a small battery for bike camping, but I have run it off a big deep cycle battery over a weekend with no issues and lots of juice left.

They're both much larger than what I'd like on the bike, but I'm not desperate enough to experiment with a Z1. And I like my humidity...

Top Bottom