FJ-09 ST

Bike
R1200rt
Yeah, I've seen that video too. You can get crappy mileage out of any bike if you flog it constantly and use the computer to figure your fuel consumption. It doesn't mean anything in real world applications. Video reviews are nice to see but they carry the same weight as magazine reviews with me......not much. It's a bunch of folks flogging bikes for a few hours and returning them back to their respective dealerships. Big deal. It tells me nothing about long term ownership. If they spent their own money for their own farkles and had to live with these bikes day in and day out you can guarantee their perspectives would change.

Let me borrow your bike and I bet I could knock off 10 mpg of your long-term average fuel consumption too.
YMMV
Mike
point made/ bet you could change the gear ratio and gain 5-10% mpgs'. But you still have less wind protection, aftermarket windscreen fixes that however there is no lower protection against cold and rain. Get a better fairing, shaft drive, a true overdrive 6th gear and we have a winner!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Truly mpg in the real world is better than the tests and reviews report but the middleweight triples (Tiger, FJ-09) are demonstrably worse than twins for gas mileage due to a triple's extra internal friction and drag from 33% more parts in motion but I doubt anyone is buying one for the mileage anyway. They are fun engines and sound great.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
but I doubt anyone is buying one for the mileage anyway.
Very true.....especially since I just pumped $2.57 per gallon of 93 octane into my bike. My spirited rides through the back roads of the Ozarks are very cheap therapy.
Mike

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I talked to a guy Sunday night in Colorado that has 22,000 on his. He loves it. He has. FZ-09 and 2 FJR's as well. He said he can get up to 50 mpg. But averages in the mid 40's. He had nothing but good things to say about the bike. He had FJR bags on it. And modified a FJR windscreen to fit it. He was with a group from Washington and Oregon. They were spending a week riding in Colorado.
I had a lot of questions for him. I'm thinking about selling my DR650 and my BMW 650. I want a light weight bike that I can load in my truck by myself. I think my off road days are done. Just not safe by myself.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I'm thinking about selling my DR650 and my BMW 650. I want a light weight bike that I can load in my truck by myself. I think my off road days are done. Just not safe by myself.
Maybe it's time to look at a V Strom 650. Can't wait to get this knee back to normal so I can get back out on the Wee!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
I rode around 5,000 miles with the FZ09 around western US and dipped into B.C. in Canada as well this summer. The bike is extremely comfortable. The short-fuel range is the only negative. I carried two extra gallons in the top-case. I passed several ST'ers around Lolo Pass and went on to get a speeding ticket the same day. The only negative was all the smoke from the various fires burning this summer.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Very nice looking bike. I see you took care of the seat problem. The stock seat is a joke. What kind of wind screen did you go with?

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
Keith & Jim,

I got really mad! Actually Madstad.com has a great system for this bike. You can quickly swap between a large and short screen in a matter of seconds. The seat is a Russell Day Long. Here is a demo of the windscreen. I received this windscreen free of charge since I helped provide Mark feedback on the design from the first version that was a bit flimsy @ high speeds.

[video]

Red

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
Thanks Red. That's a cool setup.
Some more tweaks for an outstanding FZ09 riding experience.

Basically, plump up the seat, beef up the windscreen, replace the springs and do ECU remap and finally add some cheap luggage options. The FJ09 weighs about 65 more pounds wet. It has traction control mode, but the FZ09 has a wider spectrum of use and starts out around 400 pounds wet.

Red

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
That is a very nice wind screen. Looks so much better than the one he makes for my Tiger 800. I sure like the short one for the summer time.

Red Brown

Your humble scribe.
Bike
Yamaha CP3
That is a very nice wind screen. Looks so much better than the one he makes for my Tiger 800. I sure like the short one for the summer time.
You can't go wrong with Madstad. They work well well due to their rake and height adjustment feature. If someone is opting for a bit more fuel range and additional creature comforts in terms of cruise control etc, the Versys 1000 is a fantastic light sport-touring package and nudges out the FJ09 in some respects.

SPORT-TOURERS COMPARED: KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 LT VS. YAMAHA FJ-09

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
If someone is opting for a bit more fuel range and additional creature comforts in terms of cruise control etc, the Versys 1000 is a fantastic light sport-touring package and nudges out the FJ09 in some respects.

SPORT-TOURERS COMPARED: KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 LT VS. YAMAHA FJ-09
Sure is nice to see some very good options out there. I think both will sell good. Maybe someday Honda will get a clue.

Top Bottom