License plate covers

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.....

Has anyone seen license plate covers for bike plates? The slightly tinted plastic ones that are used a lot on cars to cut down on the plate's visibility to traffic cameras?

How about their legality (or, i would assume, illegality)? I have not heard of any cars being stopped with these things - tho some that I have seen are so dark as to beg a LEO's attention.

Any thoughts on them?

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
No idea about Ohio, but any covering of the plate (even tinted or clear plastic) is illegal for California.

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Clear only covering in Ontario, Canada is fine and I have one on. Doesn't try to stop cameras just protects that plate and advertises bike shop that put it on

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Has anyone seen license plate covers for bike plates? The slightly tinted plastic ones that are used a lot on cars to cut down on the plate's visibility to traffic cameras?
You'd have to put on an awfully dark cover to make it impossible to add enough contrast to the image to read the plate.

How about their legality (or, i would assume, illegality)? I have not heard of any cars being stopped with these things - tho some that I have seen are so dark as to beg a LEO's attention.
I had a clear one on my car many years ago and was told that it was illegal. Didn't get a ticket for it, but I did get one for 71 in a 55. :doh1:

It's illegal in many (if not most or all) states to put anything between your license plate and anyone or anything that might be observing it.

--Mark

What you see other people doing or not doing on the roads is not a good indicator of what's legal. For example, I see a lot of people driving 15, 20, or more mph over the posted limit or coasting through stop signs. I also see equipment and registration violations on a regular basis. They might not get stopped as soon as they hit the street, or in a week, or maybe ever, but if you're driving around with built-in probable cause for a stop, sooner or later your luck may run out. If they're absolutely clear they may still be technically illegal, especially if they're dirty or not perfectly transparent for some reason, but the darker the tint, the more you become "Smokey bait". Think about it - why have a law requiring the display of registration but then not make it illegal to cover it up or obscure it in some way? If it wasn't illegal, every crook out there would have their license plates hidden or at least harder to see.

Btw, those covers don't stop a traffic camera from getting your plate number, since the plate underneath is highly reflective and the bright flash from the camera makes it "pop".

From the Ohio Revised Code (emphasis mine) -

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.
(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
MythBusters did an episode on this some time ago, and De-bunked the "license plate cover " myth. They used real traffic cams, as well as regular cameras at high speeds. They even tried one spray on material that was supposed to make the license plate invisible to stop light cams.

NONE of them worked. Save your $!!

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
In Ontario we have toll road that uses cameras to take a photo of your license plate to bill you. Works every time when in my car but the bike seems to get a free pass, I think the top case interferes with the view of the overhead cameras.

Gerhard

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Same in Missouri, anything over the plate is illegal. Doesn't stop some people from doing it and many get away with it, but it is probable cause to pull you over if the officer is having a bad day.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
If you're just trying to obscure the plate number... smear it with mud!
"Gee Occifer,,, I haven't had time to wash it lately I've been so busy riding to eat pie!'
;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You'd have to put on an awfully dark cover to make it impossible to add enough contrast to the image to read the plate.
Those covers get pretty dark. As jdm said no covering is legal in CA. It is possible to read the plate in the daytime but not at any distance. The plate is impossible to read at night unless you're up on it.

Besides hiding the plate from being read it also eliminates the reflectivity. A reflective plate is seen at a much greater distance than the reflector portion of the tail lights (lights off of course).

The odd thing is that I've only once seen a car with both plates having tinted covers. Every other time it's only the rear plate.

Unfortunately it's a low-priority violation requiring only proof-of-correction and a small fee. There are just not enough "over zealous" cops to go around.

it is probable cause to pull you over if the officer is having a bad day.
I want that officer to make the violator's day a bad one. When that vehicle is driving away from the scene of some collision or crime I want to be able to get at least a partial plate. That and today's "fix-it" ticket is tomorrow's warrant arrest.

"Gee Occifer,,, I haven't had time to wash it lately I've been so busy riding to eat pie!'
"No problem. You have time now while I write the ticket. Just the plate will be fine. And about that slurred speech?"

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I can only guess that clear plastic covers are legal in TX, as all the auto parts stores sell them (for car plates). I used to keep one on the front plate on my SUV all the time just to protect it from rock chips, bug guts, etc. Store clerks never questioned the purchase, but I guess it wouldn't be good business practice to do so.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I can only guess that clear plastic covers are legal in TX, as all the auto parts stores sell them (for car plates).
Not allowed to sell and not allowed to use are two very different laws.
Selling something does not make it legal for use.
Sold in Missouri too, not allowed to use on street. But you could use it on a show car in your collection.

Yep. Drag slicks aren't legal on the street but they sell those, too. There is a ton of aftermarket crap for sale in auto parts stores that isn't street legal to one extent or another. Their "out" is the standard disclaimer on the package somewhere, typically something to effect of "For show or off road use only", or "Check your local laws before installing this product on your vehicle". The store doesn't care, they got your money, and from their point of view it's your decision and they have no liability. They didn't make you buy it, put it on your vehicle, and drive it on the street that way.

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
Anything attempting to cover a license plate got a ticket from me! Even clear ones.. They are like a mirror at night when the patrol car headlights are on it! Motorcycles with any cover got stopped and tickets! They are statistically higher runners than cars.
I always wondered why people spend money to "protect" their license plate! It's the ugliest piece of equipment on any vehicle. It's made of aluminum and you get a new one when it's worn out.
How much more polite would people drive if there was something on your vehicle prominently displayed so that anyone could identify you and how to contact you? ...
Kinda like on all police cars.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Anything attempting to cover a license plate got a ticket from me! Even clear ones.. They are like a mirror at night when the patrol car headlights are on it! Motorcycles with any cover got stopped and tickets! They are statistically higher runners than cars.
I always wondered why people spend money to "protect" their license plate! It's the ugliest piece of equipment on any vehicle. It's made of aluminum and you get a new one when it's worn out.
How much more polite would people drive if there was something on your vehicle prominently displayed so that anyone could identify you and how to contact you? ...
Kinda like on all police cars.
Protect the plate? Get a NEW one? Obviously you've never waited in line at the local DMV for 2-3 hours, wasting a half day, to get any minor thing taken care of.

Polite? LEO's???? Seriously????????????????????? Our "local yokels" drive like they stole the car..knowing that no one will complain, since they have to then make a statement, and risk retribution. I was ALMOST run down by a LEO who was accelerating in the "slow truck" right lane- he miscalculated his speed relative to mine, and came within 5 feet of my front fender when trying to get out of the right lane, which ended abruptly. This is not a rare happening. They KNOW no one will complain.

On the other hand, they can take hours to get to any kind of non-emergency call.

Top Bottom