lost clutch over winter

Made it to the garage today to get the bike out to take to work tomorrow,Changed the oil and gear oil,checked tire pressure,started the bike and let it warm up,got on to pull it out and no clutch.done the same thing since 2005 and never had this happen until now. I removed the cover ,added a small amount of fluid ( it really was not low) and worked the clutch for about 5 min. and finally got some back to where I can ride it but it is still not 100 percent.This week I will pull the cover and flush and bleed it.Anybody ever had this happen to there bike,is it possible air got in.Any ideas or comments appreciate it. Thanks:jim

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just do as Mark said bleed it with some clean brake fluid and it will be as good as new. Make sure to bleed your brakes also.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
When bleeding this, make sure you flush ALL the old fluid right out until it runs out clean.... you may want to clean out the master cylinder reservoir also to prevent any gunk getting down into the system...

If it won't bleed up right, you may need to change the seals out at both ends too.....

If after bleeding and everything else, it still feels wrong, tie the clutch lever back to the bar overnight.... it is said that this allows any air to percolate back up and dissipate into the master cylinder.... I am not convinced by this but it did seem to work on the front brake....

The same thing just happened to me, too. Is there a "Clutch Bleeding For Dummies" somewhere, for those of us who are not so mechanically inclined? I need to bring it in for service anyway, would the tie-it-to-the-handlebar-overnite trick work, at least enough for me to get to the shop?

What concerns me is that I have neither the tools nor the ability to do it! What is the gravity method mentioned in the link?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You don't need a lot of tools to bleed the clutch. The clutch is much easier than the brakes. Just a wrench to open the bleeed valve and a phillips head to open the reservoir and some rubber tubing and a jar. A mighty vac makes it really easy.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
What concerns me is that I have neither the tools nor the ability to do it! What is the gravity method mentioned in the link?
Pull in the clutch ty-wrap or tape the handle pulled it. Walk away have a beverage of your choice. Next day see if you have any resistance in the clutch handle.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Next day work the clutch handle... maybe 50 times. You're helping to move air and any slime past the piston. You should eventually feel some resistance in the handle.

After you have some resistance you can pump the old fluid out and flush with fresh. To flush the idea is to crack the bleed screw while you're putting pressure on the clutch handle and close the nipple before you bottom out. Then do it again. Suck the old fluid out of the res and fill with with fresh so you're not sucking crap thru the line. You're smart enough to ride, you're more than than smart enough to do it, you just haven't been thru it yet.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
If after bleeding and everything else, it still feels wrong, tie the clutch lever back to the bar overnight.... it is said that this allows any air to percolate back up and dissipate into the master cylinder.... I am not convinced by this but it did seem to work on the front brake....
That really does work... I've had to use it on mt ST and Busa before. :plus1:

Top Bottom