2005 1300 head removal

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
since i picked up the st off my dad it has had a smell of coolant and about 6 months ago i found some hoses that where leaking and what looks like a the head gasket. i still have the smell and wanted to see if anyone has removed the head on this engine and how much of a pain is it to do? i plan on doing it before my ride in sept. to make sure i dont have any issues on the trip. any help is appreciated...

thank you....

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The plumbing on this bike is known to leak under the right conditions, and I'd rule that out conclusively before you go after the head gasket, which is a very rare failure.

What hoses did you fix, and can you describe or post some pictures of the spot where you believe the head gasket is leaking?

--Mark

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would buy all new hoses and clamps to replace them before tearing a head off as my money is on a leaking hose in the "V" on top of the engine.

Pull the gas tank, air box, throttle bodies off and have a look down in that area and I bet you will find the culprit that is giving you the issue.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Go to the auto store and rent a coolant pressure test system. Make sure that the coolant system holds pressure and also test the radiator cap. These problems are far to hard to track down by guessing. make sure the is a leak before you chase it down.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since that bike has gone farther than most, it is possible for the head gasket to fail, but I would look closely at the hoses and their connectors (the connectors of the hoses that connect to the thermostat housing) to make sure that coolant you are seeing is from one of those VS the head.

Besides the Throttlebodies being a PIA, I would think pulling the heads wouldn't be that big of a problem for you! ;) Just got to watch the timing chain I would think... Sure you don't want to just come down and pickup that other engine?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Zooker has over 300,000 miles on his 05 and it is running fine on the original head gaskets and he now pulls a trailer. Pull the bike apart and pressure check it and you will find there is a hose or clamp that is your problem.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I agree with others that say to check out the hoses and clamps for leaks and I'll add to closely examine the two 90 degree metal fittings that connect inlet hoses to each cylinder bank. These joints are mechanically fastened to the heads with two bolts. There is an o-ring that seals the joint to the cylinder head. Heat and pressure turn the o-rings to flat hard brittle circles. When I replaced all my cooling hoses last year the only items that looked suspect from heat & age were these o-rings and your engine has about 60,000 ?? more miles than mine had then.

The joints are items #14 & 18 and the o-rings #24 here: http://www.ronayers.com/WATER-PIPE-C132640.aspx

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
If you're not getting the sweet smell from the exhaust, milky looking oil or excessive coolant consumption, I'd be tempted to leave the heads alone and look elsewhere for the leaking...

OP
OP
justin_sabre
Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
water pipe.jpg

here is where it wa leaking when i pulled it apart last time, i have not pulled it apart yet i wanted to see what the thoughts where before i order hoses and new o-rings

if u look between head and block u can see some coolant.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had the same weep on my V45 Sabre, I checked the head bolts and they seemed a bit loose. Gave them ( can't remember, say an1/8 of a turn) and all was good until I sold it.
Not sure if you can do the same on the ST.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had the same weep on my V45 Sabre, I checked the head bolts and they seemed a bit loose. Gave them ( can't remember, say an1/8 of a turn) and all was good until I sold it.
Not sure if you can do the same on the ST.
If everything you check points to a head gasket as the source of the leak, this would certainly be worth a try before removing the head(s). However, the head bolts should be torqued per the specifications in the manual, not in degrees of rotation. Use a good torque wrench, and loosen all the hold-down bolts in the specified sequence before torquing them down. The sequence for loosening the head bolts will be the opposite of the torque sequence, unless the manual specifies otherwise.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
water pipe.jpg

here is where it wa leaking when i pulled it apart last time, i have not pulled it apart yet i wanted to see what the thoughts where before i order hoses and new o-rings

if u look between head and block u can see some coolant.
That is at the RH joint. I'd still replace the O-ring under the joint and rule out the hoses that connect to the joint. If any of them leak the coolant seepage would run along the seam between head and block.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Have to agree with Dave. If the wet part of that wire was pulled from under the fitting, my money is on a leaky hose joint.

--Mark

OP
OP
justin_sabre
Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
Have to agree with Dave. If the wet part of that wire was pulled from under the fitting, my money is on a leaky hose joint.

--Mark

that hose was dripping and i cut it back and put a new clamp on it, i think when i get home tonight im going to go ahead and pull it apart and see whats leaking so i can get it all ordered and fixed for good. i will see if the head looks like it is leaking or it is the oring like u guys are saying.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
that hose was dripping and i cut it back and put a new clamp on it, i think when i get home tonight im going to go ahead and pull it apart and see whats leaking so i can get it all ordered and fixed for good. i will see if the head looks like it is leaking or it is the oring like u guys are saying.
Two ways of really looking...

1) Pull the throttlebody to "mostly see"...sort of...
2) Drain the coolant, Pull the radiator and try to see up around the connections..."mostly see"...sort of...

Or do both for a "Better look"!

I even have one of those little camera scopes and it is reall hard to see much...:eek:4:

Top Bottom