Headlight Non-fuse issue??

Bike
ST1300 (2005)
STOC #
Sorry - I couldn't find this in the other threads (might have missed it)... all of a sudden, both headlights stopped working, fuse is o.k. ~ not sure what to check next???

Bike
2010 ST1300
Are you sure you checked the right fuse? I suggest you check them all because a fuse is the obvious (and cheapest) part that would cause both to go out. Next look at the relay. I don't know if the ST has a separate control circuit (i.e. fused power that powers only the relay (or the lighting relay and other relays)) separate from the headlight fuse. In this case, you would need to check both the headlight fuse and the relay's power fuse. As I said, check them all. I've had mud on my face because I looked at a fuse listing upside down and kept testing the wrong fuse.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Clean and lube your starting button on the throttle side as it may not be releasing as there is a built in cut off for your headlights in that switch.

OP
OP
PastorG
Bike
ST1300 (2005)
STOC #
thanks to all so far . . . will try to use your ideas this afternoon before heading to the shop . . .

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wiggle the hi/low toglle switch. Make sure it is firmly seated one way or the other.

There are actually multiple fuses for the headlights. Look at the cover on each fuse block. Hopefully the label stickers are still there.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1
Clean out the starter contacts with a plastic safe contact cleaner.
There's two sets of contacts in there. One to start and one to interupt the lights.
Easiest cheapest 1st thing to try.

As long as the can is in your hand flush out the turn signal contacts as well. They can get wonky as well.

Check the healight schmatic on st-o for the fuseS and wiring.

The hi/low is a make before brake contact and should briefly opperate both hi and low beams as it moves.
(note not a good idea to leave it in the center with you fingers for any period of time they share a common ground wire, sized for one or othe other)

Last edited:
Top Bottom