Engine Access Panel - Part Number Needed

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Ok, I did my first oil change on my own, thought things went well, but on my first ride after the change I noticed the Engine access panel (the one 2x4" panel held in by a plastic push-pin screw) was lost. I was lucky in that I did find the wind deflector piece attached to it (when retracing my route), but he panel was gone. Another member (thanks T_C) pointed me to the website Ron Ayers for a parts diagram to order a replacement, but I did not find that piece or was looking in at the wrong diagrams. So, just wondering if anyone knows the part number as well as for the push-pin screw number?

On related notes, those panels always seemed a little flimsy, especially since I bump them often when using my MCL highway blades, so my question is, is that push-pin good enough to hold it in (especially with the added thickness that comes with the wind deflector)? Anything else that can be done to keep them from flying off during a ride? :confused:

As always, all help is appreciated.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Home > FICHE > Honda > Motorcycle > 2008 > ST1300 >

LOWER COWL

10 64323-MCS-G00ZK LID, R. *R101CU* (CANDY GLORY RED-U) 001 (CANDY GLORY RED-U) $18.93

24 90683-MBW-003 "CLIP, BODY" 004 $1.32

You might consider getting a few extra clips. I don't break them; I simply lose them, like you did. I imagine that there are 2 or 3 in the dark recesses of my garage. ;)

You might also consider getting a few extra of these clips, for the same reason:

32 91549-MW0-790ZA CLIP *NH1* (BLACK) 008 (BLACK) $2.59

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Maint. Lid R._1.jpg

I think this is what you're talking about. This is a picture of the right side "Maintenance Lid". On the Ron Ayers site, it's part of the Lower Cowl. For a 2007 (which is what mine is) the part is #11, the push-pin is #24. The Lid part number is: 64323-MCS-G00ZG

The left and right lid's have different part numbers, so be sure to verify the one you want.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I checked Honda East Toledo, they're only 12 - 15 dollars there. They have the numbers all attached to the web-site, you only need to know what part you want, it takes care of the part number. That's where I got the alternator for about half of what Honda dealers wanted.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
On related notes, those panels always seemed a little flimsy, especially since I bump them often when using my MCL highway blades, so my question is, is that push-pin good enough to hold it in (especially with the added thickness that comes with the wind deflector)?
Between the rivet and the tab at the top, you'd have to yank awfully hard on it to pull it out. Is the one on your bike is missing its tab, perhaps?

--Mark

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have been using a strip of heavy duty Velcro on my 05 for the past 8 years along with the push pin and have not had any problem retaining the panels.
If you are interested I can post a picture later for how I have them attached.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
FYI, the push rivet on the fiche does NOT have sufficient length if you have the fairing deflector set installed. The fairing deflector set comes with longer push rivets (stock number unknown to me).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
FYI, the push rivet on the fiche does NOT have sufficient length if you have the fairing deflector set installed. The fairing deflector set comes with longer push rivets (stock number unknown to me).
This was posted at some point in time but is not true at least on my '05. There is only part number for this push pin rivet (#90116) and it is long enough to secure the maintenance cover and accessory wind deflector. It does however have to be fully inserted in the hole and the center pin popped in place. I always check the security of the rivet by inserting my finger behind the valve cover and pushing up on the rivet after popping the pin in place. Knock on wood I've never lost a cover but I do replace the rivet every two or three years. They get splayed out and hard to insert.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
This was posted at some point in time but is not true at least on my '05. There is only part number for this push pin rivet (#90116) and it is long enough to secure the maintenance cover and accessory wind deflector. It does however have to be fully inserted in the hole and the center pin popped in place.
The push pin style rivets were not used on the later years of ST's.

But maybe that is the solution, drop the screw style pin that was OEM in '08 and use the older push pin style.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
This was posted at some point in time but is not true at least on my '05. There is only part number for this push pin rivet (#90116) and it is long enough to secure the maintenance cover and accessory wind deflector. It does however have to be fully inserted in the hole and the center pin popped in place. I always check the security of the rivet by inserting my finger behind the valve cover and pushing up on the rivet after popping the pin in place. Knock on wood I've never lost a cover but I do replace the rivet every two or three years. They get splayed out and hard to insert.
Interesting Dave. Perhaps you didn't install the lame "kind of looks like transparent, coarse hook and loop" [Velcro] tape between your wind deflector pieces and the maintenance cover? I installed the pieces in mine per the directions provided in the wind deflector install instructions. The absence of that may have allowed the OEM rivets in my '04 to have still worked with the wind deflector set.

The OEM rivets in my '04 maintenance panels are definitely too short. The replacement rivets that came with the wind deflector set are ~1/4" longer (by memory) and after searching and buying supposed replacements a number of years ago (the part number you mention), I did not find a proper length replacement for those. I'm still using the only two rivets that came with the wind deflector set.

:shrug1:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
How long are the old ones? Mine (90116) are 22 mm long and yes, mine has the hook and loop tape.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Pop Rivet.jpg

I used calipers to measure those dimensions, and rounded each measurement to the nearest whole number...

The originals rivets in motorcycle when new:
A - center pin: 21mm
B - barrel with prongs: 9mm

The longer rivets supplied with the wind deflector set:
A - center pin: 25mm
B - barrel with prongs: 13m

The original rivets are not long enough to extend beyond the stackup of parts with the wind deflector set installed, and the center pin will not push/pop into place as there is not sufficient length and clearance for the prongs to expand. Even without the wind deflector set, the original rivets barely push/pop into place (they should be longer).

The longer rivets, when installed without the wind deflector set installed, easily push/pop into place. When those are in place without the wind deflector set installed, I am able to get ~4mm clearance between the shoulder of the barrel and the surface of the pull maintenance lid (which you'd expect given 13-9=4).

I've not been able to find the actual part number of the longer ones, which were supplied with the wind deflector set. Maybe if I'm bored someday, I'll go into a Honda shop and hand one to them to find out what it is.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Between the rivet and the tab at the top, you'd have to yank awfully hard on it to pull it out. Is the one on your bike is missing its tab, perhaps?

--Mark
Yes, when I changed the oil I did notice that the tab was broken which made me a little worried which turned out to be well justified.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mike,

Thanks for the link, I guess if I had called it the right thing I would have located it when I was doing my searching. So, just so I get it right, the dowl is used to secure the wind deflector and the nut they are talking about replaced the push pin tab?
Yes sir, it works great. I had seen to many people here loose their covers and mine blew off one time and was becoming very loose.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pop Rivet.jpg

I used calipers to measure those dimensions, and rounded each measurement to the nearest whole number...

The originals rivets in motorcycle when new:
A - center pin: 21mm
B - barrel with prongs: 9mm

The longer rivets supplied with the wind deflector set:
A - center pin: 25mm
B - barrel with prongs: 13m

The original rivets are not long enough to extend beyond the stackup of parts with the wind deflector set installed, and the center pin will not push/pop into place as there is not sufficient length and clearance for the prongs to expand. Even without the wind deflector set, the original rivets barely push/pop into place (they should be longer).

The longer rivets, when installed without the wind deflector set installed, easily push/pop into place. When those are in place without the wind deflector set installed, I am able to get ~4mm clearance between the shoulder of the barrel and the surface of the pull maintenance lid (which you'd expect given 13-9=4).

I've not been able to find the actual part number of the longer ones, which were supplied with the wind deflector set. Maybe if I'm bored someday, I'll go into a Honda shop and hand one to them to find out what it is.
I don't know why part #90116 fits mine with deflectors and not yours. I bought my 2005 with the deflectors installed and this size of rivet has always been the ones in use. Since I had the cowls off this evening to replace the coils I took these pictures. It's easy to see 90116s are plenty long enough to do the job they were designed to do. I note the velcro is mounted on the side edge and does not add thickness to the stack.

Top Bottom