Help me plan my next LD ride

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Hey gang - thought I'd crowdsource some ideas for my next long distance ride coming up towards the end of May.

I'm based in Indianapolis and officiate NCAA Championship track & field competitions every year. The meets move around and when I can, I work in a motorcycle ride to get there.

Last year I did a BBG from Indy to Pueblo CO. You can read all about the fun I had over here:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?128265-Bun-Burner-Gold-attempt&highlight=

This year, the meet I'm working is up in Allendale MI which is only 250 miles if I were to go straight there. So I'm trying to work out a route that would be a bit longer.

I am required to be there for an officials meeting on Wednesday evening, so my arrival needs to be sometime earlier that day so I can catch a bit of a nap. I can depart anytime on Tuesday and don't mind riding overnight as I did last year. A certificate ride isn't a requirement, but one that I have been thinking about would be....

...a Lake Michigan SS1000. Could take off from Indy early Tuesday morning and grab a start receipt somewhere up in NW Indiana. Then head counterclockwise through MI, up and over the lake, and back down to catch an end receipt before either crashing in that area (I have family there) or continuing on to Allendale (another 135 miles). That would be somewhere in the realm of a 1300 mile day depending on how I route it.

Anything I should be concerned about hitting the UP in late May? I think this timing would get me through that area in daylight to minimize bad varmit encounters. Rogue snowstorm a possibility? :)

Any other ideas?

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Too bad you have to do it in one day......lots of neat places to stop and smell the roses around Lake Michigan.......good pie too............have fun.......don't kill the forest rats with your bike........................ff

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Well, I'm not tied to a certificate ride and would consider a more leisurely route up the eastern shores of Lake Michigan to the UP before turning around...I may be able to crash with a friend up just over the bridge and then ride back south to Allendale on Wednesday. So I'd love to hear some thoughts from those of you that have ridden up there....

Top Bottom