Purchasing a MC out of state and having it shipped?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
What are the risks if any in purchasing a new MC as stated above from the dealer and having it shipped to your house? I spoke to the dealer and it seems on the up and up, but I have concerns about a certified check going out. According to the dealer they would send me the appropriate paperwork to fill out including what I need to take to the DMV if I understood correctly and then I would mail it back with the certified check and they would then ship the MC.

I just feel uneasy about this. The dealer seems reputable. It is Moto Forza in Escondido, CA. Anyone done this and if so what was your experience?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dennis

Last edited:

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Have someone local check it out or act in your behalf.... Have you thought about a fly n ride?

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Have someone local check it out or act in your behalf.... Have you thought about a fly n ride?
I have test rode a bike where I am. The bike the dealer has is new. Having someone in the area would be awesome to check it out. Anyone willing to do so if your in the area would be awesome. I have the notifications setup here to email me immediately. So again if your willing to just respond here and send me a PM with your phone number.

Can't do a fly and ride, especially at this time of year.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Used bike? New? If used, I highly recommend a fly-n-ride. I know the logistics can be tough, and all your friends and relatives will think you're crazy, but you'll know the bike intimately by the time you get home. You get to look it over as well, and if it is NOT what the dealer says it is (as is often the case) you'll know and only be out the cost of a plane ticket.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
You could have a professional inspection done for as little as $100. There are people who will perform this service for warranty companies when one of their vehicles has a major mechanical breakdown. Call a local auto dealer service dept and ask them who they usually see from aftermarket warranty companies.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Used bike? New? If used, I highly recommend a fly-n-ride. I know the logistics can be tough, and all your friends and relatives will think you're crazy, but you'll know the bike intimately by the time you get home. You get to look it over as well, and if it is NOT what the dealer says it is (as is often the case) you'll know and only be out the cost of a plane ticket.
The bike is new, so that is not an issue there. I have pics of it and I am familiar with it. My concern is the transaction.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The bike is new, so that is not an issue there. I have pics of it and I am familiar with it. My concern is the transaction.
Not really a problem, as long as you have a sufficient paper trail. I have sold bikes to two folks in California, (antique BMW's) , and we did it the same way. The last one was a year ago, and we dickered, agreed to a price, and he sent me a certified check. I then sent him the keys, title, and a bill of sale (just wrote it up on the computer), by next day mail. He had a freight company pick it up 4 days later. No muss, no fuss.

RCS

I did it.

Purchased a used ST1300 from a motorcycle dealer sight unseen and had it truck shipped from FL to CT. No problems.

Paid with my American Express Card. Dealer simply wants good money. You may be able to do a wire transfer which will give you a record of the transaction. To save time you can probably email and fax back the signed paperwork. The dealer can probably fax you a receipt - unless you both have image scanners than it can all be electronic.

Make sure it is a legitimate dealer - has an address, working telephone number, maybe a bbb listing, etc.

Edit add - Another way of creating a record of the transaction is to have the dealer send you the paperwork and an invoice. Make the certified check out to the dealers name on the invoice and the amount stated. The combination of the two will give you proof of payment as long as you keep a copy of the certified check.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My concern is the transaction.
An authorized dealer for the brand you're buying with a real storefront isn't likely to pull anything, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the bike's assembled, have someone give it a once-over before it's shipped to make sure nothing's damaged.

If anything, I'd be more worried about the shipping.

--Mark

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
An authorized dealer for the brand you're buying with a real storefront isn't likely to pull anything, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the bike's assembled, have someone give it a once-over before it's shipped to make sure nothing's damaged.

If anything, I'd be more worried about the shipping.

--Mark
I think you folks have eased my mind on the purchasing part.

Mark,

I hadn't gotten to the shipping piece of it, it is insured fully by the dealer. What scares me is I worked in Logistics for 20 + years and I saw firsthand what can happen up to and including claims. But it is a small percentage and the dealer says they have a good carrier along with having done this multiple times before. Hopefully someone can chime in about Moto Forza in Escondido, CA and provide some insight on their integrity. Or even better take a look at the bike.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Insure the bike on the day of the transaction,so you will be covered for theft and damage. I had a bike shipped from New Mexico to Rhode Island without a problem. After they put it on the pallet have them shrink wrap it.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I bought my ST1100 from a San Antonio dealer, had my SIL ride it to the Forward Air terminal where he packed it in a shipping container, and shortly it arrived in the Seattle area where I went and unpacked it, and rode it home.

If you go this route be sure the person packing knows how to properly secure the m/c in the container.

Tim in Burien, WA

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think you folks have eased my mind on the purchasing part.

Mark,

I hadn't gotten to the shipping piece of it, it is insured fully by the dealer. What scares me is I worked in Logistics for 20 + years and I saw firsthand what can happen up to and including claims. But it is a small percentage and the dealer says they have a good carrier along with having done this multiple times before. Hopefully someone can chime in about Moto Forza in Escondido, CA and provide some insight on their integrity. Or even better take a look at the bike.
I live just a few miles from them, if there's something I can help you with PM me with details and I'll see what I can do. I have no experience with them as a dealer so can't comment on that part. But I can tell you its a relatively new dealership that started business in a brand new building, as opposed to a couple of guys working out of a rented trailer, if that's one of your concerns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Insure the bike on the day of the transaction,so you will be covered for theft and damage. I had a bike shipped from New Mexico to Rhode Island without a problem. After they put it on the pallet have them shrink wrap it.

Excellent advice.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I live just a few miles from them, if there's something I can help you with PM me with details and I'll see what I can do. I have no experience with them as a dealer so can't comment on that part. But I can tell you its a relatively new dealership that started business in a brand new building, as opposed to a couple of guys working out of a rented trailer, if that's one of your concerns.
Thank you for the offer. PM sent.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. One of our members who lives near Moto Forza has graciously volunteered to give the bike a look see and call me this evening on his findings.

This site is amazing as a networking, intranet within the internet tool or whatever your prefer. Again Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I knew I would only get away from that question for very long :D I am looking at a new 2013 MV Agusta Brutale. If our anonymous member gives me the "Okey Doke" I will put it in action tomorrow morning.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Nice looking skoot..........if you want you could have them drop it in Minnesota and I could ride it the rest of the way to you.........:D........just a thought..........ff

Top Bottom