pirelli angel gt short review

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Finally got my Angel GT tires mounted and had a chance to try them.
My first ride on new tires was in a toad chokin' rain! I have only put about 100 miles on them so far, all in rain, but I am liking these tires much more than the last few sets of PR2 and PR3 tires. They feel lighter and easier to steer. The drop into a turn effortlessly but without that PR2-3 shimmy or wiggle going from center to edge of tire etc. I pushed them a little up my favorite twisty road....in the rain...and never felt the tar snakes, painted strips, or standing water. Over all they feel stiffer, like the stones 020 on the sidewalls, with smooth grip like my favorite conti road attacks...we will see how long they last.

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Keep us posted.....next tires it's either these or the BT030s.................................ff

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Tonight on the way home I got to experience an emergency braking incident, there were two cars in front of my going down hwy 9 and the lead car decided to STOP without warning because a squirrel crossed the road!
the second car almost rear ended the lead car, and before I even thought about it, I grabbed both brakes and stopped a couple bike lengths behind them. Stopped on a dime!
Then further down the road, I was forced off my line through a sweeper, mid turn, because of a dead skunk in the road, and rolled across a pretty large strip of loose gravel...I heard it crunching, but that's all that happened, I almost didn't even notice it. This has happened a couple times on the PR3's and the front tire always stepped out on me.
I'm enjoying these so far. I'll keep everyone posted on the wear as the miles add up.
Igofar

Tonight on the way home I got to experience an emergency braking incident, there were two cars in front of my going down hwy 9 and the lead car decided to STOP without warning because a squirrel crossed the road!
the second car almost rear ended the lead car, and before I even thought about it, I grabbed both brakes and stopped a couple bike lengths behind them. Stopped on a dime!
Then further down the road, I was forced off my line through a sweeper, mid turn, because of a dead skunk in the road, and rolled across a pretty large strip of loose gravel...I heard it crunching, but that's all that happened, I almost didn't even notice it. This has happened a couple times on the PR3's and the front tire always stepped out on me.
I'm enjoying these so far. I'll keep everyone posted on the wear as the miles add up.
Igofar
I test all of the sport and sport tour tires in the mountains and the very best tire I have used has been the Angel GTs. Knee dragging wet grip, ferocious dry grip with perfect steering and feel all with better-than-average mileage. Best of the best

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Another Update: I've got almost 1K miles on them so far...both tires are still perfectly round, with no lumps, bumps, or uneven wear that is common on the bridgestone, Dunlop and Michelins. I LOVE these tires!
So much in fact, that I am looking around for sales so I can have a couple sets in stock in the garage when the time comes. The dry grip is beyond words, the wet grip is the best I've had on this ST1300. These tires have shaved off about 15 minutes on my commute home, I'm going through turns that used to scare me at double the speed, and still feel like I could go faster. I've noticed better braking as well.
Its only 1k so far, but so far, no signs of wear yet.
I hope they make these things for a long time, as I have finally found MY tire of choice :bow1:
Even if I only get 10K out of them, I'm using them! I figure I pay for motorcycle insurance, pay for riding equipment, brake pads, and wait for it.....brake fluid....so I can have fun, and these tires have provided the most fun I've found yet! well worth the money, and they cost less than the PR4's that my co-worker just purchased :rofl1:
His PR4s are already showing raised edges after only 500 miles or so.
More to follow.
Igofar

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Thanks for the review, Larry. Don't know if I'll ever get a chance to try them on my 1100 as I have a set of BT23 waiting in the shop when I wear the current set down... and they are almost new still. Also thinking about selling the 1100 for something else... I run double dark on the wing. I'm sure the 1300 riders will have a good tire to try the next time.

Larry when your ready to FOLLOW me up 9 or 35 my bike pr3's lets ride and see how you do :rofl1:

Show me some tire BALLS

Then we can let are bikes IDLE to see who's gets HOTTER :rofl1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The only reason I would be behind you is I wouldn't trust you or your ridiing skill behind me....:rofl1:

If that bike of yours with delo oil and those funny SISSY tires was fast enough you would leave me in the DUST--I Think NOT

Last edited:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I got ~ 7500 miles out of each set, One Wolf riding. I don't ride to get miles out of my tires... :D

Bike
2003 ST1300
Igofar
It's obvious the Pirelli's are small mammal magnets. Get rid of them and switch to Metzler Large Mammal Magnets: I've had 2 black bears run in front of my ST, and too many deer to count.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
It's obvious the Pirelli's are small mammal magnets. Get rid of them and switch to Metzler Large Mammal Magnets: I've had 2 black bears run in front of my ST, and too many deer to count.
Lol! Made my day reading this thread, so full of info & a healthly dose of laughter :D

I'm really intrigued by the Pirelli tires, after reading this thread, because I was leaning toward either the PR3s or the BT30s, but the Pirellis look like PR3 & BT30 had a baby, who's better than both parents.

Are there others who've used these tires? Thank you all for your inputs.

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
getting close to 2K on the Angel's now, still love them! I notice I don't hardly every use my brakes as much with these tires, the PR3's always made me feel like I was going into the turn too fast, and made me want to scrub off some speed before entering the turn, with these, I simple look farther ahead and don't worry about it anymore, very confidence inspiring. They still look like I just put them on, no signs of wear to speak of yet.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I have 5500 miles on my Pirelli Angel GT tires and have run them at 42 in the rear and 38 in the front. I love the handling in both wet and dry conditions and would say I am moderately aggressive in the mountains and was hoping these tires would get to 10k but I would estimate I have about 2,000 miles to before I replace them or about 7,500 miles total. My tire history is 9,500 miles on the PR-2, 7,500 miles on the PR-3, and I estimate I will get 7,500 miles on the Pirellis. I would run the PR-2 again as I got good handling and mileage out of them and think I will try the PR-4 just to see if it's better than the 3s. My Pirellis were a great handling tire but the front tire is showing wear on both sides and the rear tire is showing wear in the middle of the tire. My dream tire is one that handles well in both wet and dry conditions and tires that I get 10k miles out of them. So far, the PR-2 has come closest to that goal and I will be interested to see if others do better with the Pirelli tires. These big touring bikes just seem to go through tires fairly quickly and I am a zealot about keeping the air pressure up.

You don't use the brakes because the tires have SLOWED you down

Come out and ride this Sunday its a training day lets see you put those tires to work LOL -- No Pirelli BALLS ?

I SECOND the PR2 !!!!! and I wear the fronts out in 2500 miles

Last edited:
Bike
1994 Honda st1100
I much appreciate the Angel GT reviews. I mounted a set on my 1100 yesterday and it was night and day difference from the Dunlops that were on it before. I couldn't believe how much control they gave me in cornering and running hot into low speed curves.

I mounted mine on June 10 and have almost 4,000 miles on them so far. I love the handling. The last 2500 miles have mostly been in the flatlands of Texas. They are both just beginning to get worn flat in the center. I am running 39.5 front and 40.5 rear.

Top Bottom