pirelli angel gt short review

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Well after 2 sets I'm going back to the roadsmarts.got alittle over 4000 miles out of them
And worn the front out at the same time as the rear again.a great tire for handling but the mileage suffers due to a soft compound
I would check your suspension set up, preload and damping, and make sure your front end is aligned straight by loosening everything and plunging the front end etc. This may help with tire wear.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I have ridden on two sets of the Pirelli Angel GTs in the last couple of years and averaged about 7,500 miles before I changed them. I could be changing them out quicker than I need to as I like the new rubber on the bike when riding in the mountains, but I like the handling of the Pirelli and their traction on both wet and dry pavement; so no complaints. I have also worked my way through a set of the PR2, 3, 4 series and liked the PR2 the best of that bunch so far. I cannot comment on the PR4 as I got a rear flat at about 1500 miles and now running a PR4 in the front and the PR2 on the rear as that was all they had in stock when I had the rear go flat (sharp arrowhead type rock on a rainy day). The cheaper price on the Pirellis is definitely a positive and its a good tire, but I was hoping to get 9,500 to 10k miles on them and so far the PR2 is the only set to reach that milestone.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I installed a set of Angel GT'S on my ST1300 this spring. Have ridden them 5,300 miles. Perfect control in hot or cold. Excellent grip in the wet. My last trip was from Seattle to Minneapolis and I am thrilled with the performance and lack of significant wear. No cupping on the front or rear tire. I will keep you posted on the final mileage count. Compared to BT023, PR2, or Shinko 011, these tires are clearly superior in all ways.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
On my 3rd set of Angel GT's on my '14 RT, getting 8K+ miles consistently, front dies a bit earlier than rear (typical on lever suspension), change them together. As good or better IME for wet conditions than any gen PR, and an amazing sport tyre, mine are scrubbed off the edge up front, within 1/16" of edge on the rear, never a mis-step (cant say that for PR4's). I run manufacturer spec -2 front and rear, get great even wear, no ugly transition between compounds. For context: I live on my bike, carry quite a bit of daily kit even locally - In the curvy bits I use a lot of throttle and brake and my whole tyre edge to edge, and in the boring bits I run +20-40 MPH. I haven't ever met a tyre that would give me this wet/dry performance for over 8K miles. This is a superb safety and performance tyre.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
5180 miles at 42 psi, wear bars at 0 right at 5000 miles, same as every other rear tire here in the GA mountains, per all reports. Handles very well, though.

Last edited:

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Keep us posted.....next tires it's either these or the BT030s.................................ff
Running the bt30's on the st1300 first 5k looking like I'll get another 3 plus, wearing nicely handling very good...WeSTOC trip gave up all kinds of road to try, no complaints and very nice control. put the Angle GTs on the viffer, first 1500 miles. Whooeee! Still see the logo on the rears, really nice tire for the 03 VFR ... I don't think I am riding the viffer hard enough!

Bike
2004 ST1300
On my 3rd set of Angel GT's on my '14 RT, getting 8K+ miles consistently, front dies a bit earlier than rear (typical on lever suspension), change them together. As good or better IME for wet conditions than any gen PR, and an amazing sport tyre, mine are scrubbed off the edge up front, within 1/16" of edge on the rear, never a mis-step (cant say that for PR4's). I run manufacturer spec -2 front and rear, get great even wear, no ugly transition between compounds. For context: I live on my bike, carry quite a bit of daily kit even locally - In the curvy bits I use a lot of throttle and brake and my whole tyre edge to edge, and in the boring bits I run +20-40 MPH. I haven't ever met a tyre that would give me this wet/dry performance for over 8K miles. This is a superb safety and performance tyre.
Are you using the A spec tires or the regular? Thanks!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just ordered myself a set of Angel gt's,,, A-spec rear,,, and the front std. companion tire. They should arrive later this week, but I will not likely install them till early summer. The dramatically weaker Canadian dollar got me to purchase before an inevitable 2016 price increase comes through. I think I read every review under the sun before choosing these tires, and I expect them to perform up to their price point, once installed. cheers,, Cat'

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Me Too. I replaced my rear Angel GT with 9,000 miles. The front still has another 3-4,000 miles left on it. Very satisfied with these Angel GT's

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I have had a couple of sets of the Angel GTs and loved their handling on both wet and dry pavement. My only complaint was I seem to be replacing them around 6500 to 7,000 miles while the PR-2 and PR-4 have gotten up into the 9 to 9500 range before getting replaced. The PR-4s that I currently run have been a very reliable and nice riding tire, but I would have no hesitation about running with either the Pirelli or the Michelin tires on twisty mountain roads and with wet or dry pavement.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I have 5500 miles on my Pirelli Angel GT tires and have run them at 42 in the rear and 38 in the front. I love the handling in both wet and dry conditions and would say I am moderately aggressive in the mountains and was hoping these tires would get to 10k but I would estimate I have about 2,000 miles to before I replace them or about 7,500 miles total. My tire history is 9,500 miles on the PR-2, 7,500 miles on the PR-3, and I estimate I will get 7,500 miles on the Pirellis. I would run the PR-2 again as I got good handling and mileage out of them and think I will try the PR-4 just to see if it's better than the 3s. My Pirellis were a great handling tire but the front tire is showing wear on both sides and the rear tire is showing wear in the middle of the tire. My dream tire is one that handles well in both wet and dry conditions and tires that I get 10k miles out of them. So far, the PR-2 has come closest to that goal and I will be interested to see if others do better with the Pirelli tires. These big touring bikes just seem to go through tires fairly quickly and I am a zealot about keeping the air pressure up.
My 1300 came with the Pirelli's on it. So, I've never run a different tire. I see you run 42 and 38 psi. Is that normal? The tires also seem really loud. I can hear the tires over the wind noise! My previous experience was with Metzler, Dunlop and Bridgestone on the ST1100.
Thanks,

I am about to replace my GTs with PR4s again. I like the GTs and will probably run them again next time. I got 9500 out of them.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Running a set (ST1300 size) on one of my ST1100 ABSIIs. Like the handling in wet and dry and after 1,600+ miles hard dash on the slab (had to get to CampSToc and back), they showed no flatness or cupping. I'll be really interested in what kind of mileage I get as I burned through my last set of PR3s, Z6s, BT030GTs before I reached 5,000 miles.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I'm running Angel GT's in standard sizes and recommended pressures on our ST1300, we've done about 2,000 miles so far with good grip wet or dry. They're giving good feedback and feel very stable in the bends and under braking, with very smooth transition rolling from one side to the other in the 'flip-flop' bends. I would also agree that they're a bit noisy.

We have a 3.500 mile run to Greece coming up on 10th June on which we will be fully loaded for a months holiday, including a motorway thrash down to Italy before boarding the ferry to Greece. Hopefully they won't get too squared off by this, but after that we'll be on the twisty stuff on the back roads for the next two weeks... providing we can get fuel in France of course!

So far I'm delighted with them...

Bike
2003 ST1300
Wow. I knew I had to be in the market for a new rear tire soon. Got home from a short ride and noticed the rear tire wore through to the belts. These Angle GT's seem to go away very quickly. I am very jealous of the miles you guys are getting from tires. This rear has 4900 miles on it. The last rear was a PR2 and it lasted around 5400 miles. I was pretty happy with the Angle GT while it lasted.

Trying a Bridgestone T30 EVO GT next. Its less money anyway. I hear they are a bear to mount.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wow. I knew I had to be in the market for a new rear tire soon. Got home from a short ride and noticed the rear tire wore through to the belts. These Angle GT's seem to go away very quickly. I am very jealous of the miles you guys are getting from tires. This rear has 4900 miles on it. The last rear was a PR2 and it lasted around 5400 miles. I was pretty happy with the Angle GT while it lasted.
Tire mileage varies tremendously from rider to rider. It depends how aggressive a rider you are, how hard you accelerate, the road surfaces, and about a zillion other factors. I confess to being surprised at the tremendous variation noted here - from something like 4500 miles up to almost 10k or more for the same tire on supposedly the same bikes (supposedly because of minor variations from bike to bike).

Bike
2009 ST 1300
I am not sure what Pirelli recommends for "normal" tire pressure on the Angel GTs. I researched tire pressure a couple of years ago and found that some riders adjust the front and rear based on how they ride. I have heard lower numbers in the front but found that 38 in the front and 42 for the rear tire worked best for me. Lately, I have been running the Michelin PR-4 tire and using the same air pressure on those two tires as well. Perhaps someone has talked to the Michelin or Pirelli reps as to what they actually recommend, but for handling and hopefully reasonably longer wear that's what I do. I also check them way too often to make sure they are inflated properly as I have seen the occasional rider that let the tire pressure get too low which obviously reduces performance and makes them wear out faster.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Tire mileage varies tremendously from rider to rider. It depends how aggressive a rider you are, how hard you accelerate, the road surfaces, and about a zillion other factors. I confess to being surprised at the tremendous variation noted here - from something like 4500 miles up to almost 10k or more for the same tire on supposedly the same bikes (supposedly because of minor variations from bike to bike).
For us tyres wear better when we're on tour, I suspect that's because we're not hurrying for an appointment or out solo for a play in the bends, just touring around gently and appreciating the sights. Long distance touring will also be cutting down on the stop/start town riding style which increases tyre wear.

Whilst I accept that the Angel GT may give a shorter tyre life I personally would trade that against wet/dry grip and comfort they give us every time.

Top Bottom