Wiring Admore's LED tail/indicator lights - questions

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm adding Admore lighting's LED strips* to my ST. I found the tail light lamp easily under the license plate, and those wires are easily accessible. Unfortunately, the same is not true for the indicator lamps. Yes, they are reachable under the rear seat but I can barely budge them to remove the lampholder and pull the wires up to where I can tap into them. I just cannot get my hands in a position where I can get enough of a grip to twist them the required 1/4 turn. Of course, if I ever do get these out, I will add a dab of silicone grease to the bearing surface so that next time I can remove them without whispering incantations.

Has anyone installed these LED strips and found another place in the harness to tap into? To my eyes, the harness dives down and is even more difficult to reach than the wires immediately outside the lampholders.

The lampholder has a white plastic insert. Does this unplug or (more) easily detach from the lamphoder itself, or is the whole assembly one piece?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*LED bi color kit for universal side case - 1614-S-TS(RY)
http://admorelighting.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=152

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I will add a dab of silicone grease to the bearing surface so that next time I can remove them without whispering incantations.
Thanks for the idea! I recently pulled one of the tail lights out of my ST and needed an adjustable open-end wrench to twist the socket loose. I used my hand to put it back but it wasn't easy. I will need to get in there again so I'll follow your lead.

I'm wondering about that white insert for the directional signal as well. That looks like an easy place to tap into especially if that piece is removable from the socket.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks for the idea! I recently pulled one of the tail lights out of my ST and needed an adjustable open-end wrench to twist the socket loose. I used my hand to put it back but it wasn't easy. I will need to get in there again so I'll follow your lead.

I'm wondering about that white insert for the directional signal as well. That looks like an easy place to tap into especially if that piece is removable from the socket.

I have no idea how I'm going to get those indicator sockets loose. I just don't have the hand strength to twist them with my wrist bent in order to reach them. I'll try again this afternoon. One thought - based on your wrench idea - will be to take a bit of scrap steel strap and hacksaw out a slot and then cut it to make a short 'wrench'. This might just give me the leverage needed to turn them. Once the socket is out, I will be able to tap into the wires. I REALLY don't want to have to tear the whole rear plastic apart just to get in there.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
OK, in one of those eureka moments, I took a close look at the TAILLIGHT lampholder - mostly because it was the only one I could remove and see. That white insert is black on my taillights and there is a tiny tab. Press it down and it unlocks the two or three wire block (the white insert on the indicators is identical except it has two wires) from the lamp socket. While pressing on said tab, the block slides out of the socket sideways.

Back to the indicator. A long tiny screwdriver pushed down on that tab and I pulled back gently on the wires. The block popped out of the socket. I'm half way to removing the lamp socket and now I can wire the Ardmore LED's.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I just did one last week (07) and yes the white sockets are easy to remove, no need to remove the socket and yes there a bit of a bugger. Once you remove the white connector just add the posi-tap and good to go.
Lyle

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Great to know that guys! Duly noted and filed! That makes life much easier. Thanks.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
Great to know that guys! Duly noted and filed! That makes life much easier. Thanks.
4/5/2014 Update: Problem solved.
What didn't work - I looked at the lamp socket with the white plastic connector removed. There is a nice rectangular hole - so I made a small stick - 3/4" wide by 1/4" thick and about 2" long. I thought I could insert this in the socket and use it like a wrench to twist the thing loose. It didn't work - it doesn't go in far enough to provide much leverage and I was afraid the thin plastic would break.

What did work - By assuming new and as yet undiscovered Yoga positions, I was able to get my hands on the turn signal lamp socket, but was still not able to turn it. I found a leather fingerlet in my shop - this is essentially the last 1" of a leather glove finger that is used by wood workers for protection while sanding - and this enabled me to apply enough pressure to the socket to turn it the required 1/4 turn in two or three tries.

Then I used a Q-tip and some 3M Silicone Paste (#08946 - used for brakes) to put a very light coating on the face and rim of the rubber gasket at the base of the socket. It slips into place and locks with two finger pressure now. I lubed both tail lights and both indicators as prevention against frustration (and creative language) when changing these bulbs on a trip.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
WOW
Good for you for trying so hard. Just wait until you have to change a headlight.
L
LOL, I changed them both - but I cheated. I had all the tupperware off to upgrade the horns and add driving lights. While things were open, I decided to go w/ Osram 70/65 bulbs. My hat is really off to everybody who has changed the bulbs with the fairing installed! It took me several minutes to unlatch the bail and I had a 150 watt drop light in one hand and reading glasses on so I could see what I was doing. Yes, it took seconds to do the other side, but still, anyone who does this blind is a marvel.

Top Bottom