Valve covers (cylinder head covers)

Bike
2010 ST1300
...engine sealant is a general term pointing/referring to silicone based sealants dedicated for high temperature usage (contrary to products like window sealant, etc...) on internal combustion engines, whilst RTV silicone is a more specific term, mostly ID-ing a two-component (base plus curative) silicone rubber which is frequently used for creating molds/casts (dentures, model building...)...

Lets agree on things like Permatex or Loctite Superflex then... ;-)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RTV silicone goop I'm talking about and have seen is sold at auto parts stores (Napa, Advance, etc) here in Ohio and says it is good for high temp engine use, and for making gaskets and gluing gaskets. I think the various grades have temp ranges and none would be used for say, a head gasket, but are fine for oil pan and iirc valve cover gaskets. It comes in a foil tube and I assume is a one component silicone rubber - since there is no mixing involved - but it does harden in the tube if you keep it for too long. And, yes, I think it might be made by Permatex..... but not sure.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
08718-0004 / HONDABOND HT

Just used it on my half-moons during a valve clearance check on the Grey GhOOST.
Yesterday I hit the corners of the half moons only, with a little tiny dab of Permatex Ultra Black. Nice and dry so far.
Chose not to give Honda 3x the $$ for 'their' stuff.

Sounds like you also got that water pump job all taken care of John.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, fork oil, valve clearance, so far, Dean. Tires and front calipers rebuild to go. WeSTOC is coming up faST!

John
via iPhone 6

Top Bottom