Bent mirror bracket

suedez

Suede
Bike
2006 St-1300
STOC #
Unfortunately, didn't see the gravel and had my first wreck in 35 years. Luckily, all my gear worked and I just have some minor bruised ribs. The bike didn't get too damaged. The saddlebag needs paint and the mirror assembly got trashed. The two screws that bolt the mirror in are no longer centered in the plastic they thread through. Not sure what part is behind that 1st plastic part but it is bent. Any ideas out there for how to repair this?

IMG_0983.jpg

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
If I undestand you correctly, I just went thru this myself. I had my son push down on the plastic from the top and this centered the threaded hole in the plastic so I could get the bolt started. I'm not sure what things look like behind the plastic, but this worked for me.

Unfortunately, didn't see the gravel and had my first wreck in 35 years. Luckily, all my gear worked and I just have some minor bruised ribs. The bike didn't get too damaged. The saddlebag needs paint and the mirror assembly got trashed. The two screws that bolt the mirror in are no longer centered in the plastic they thread through. Not sure what part is behind that 1st plastic part but it is bent. Any ideas out there for how to repair this?

IMG_0983.jpg

OP
OP
suedez

suedez

Suede
Bike
2006 St-1300
STOC #
The only thing is, before I removed the mirror (which is intact actually), I couldn't adjust the mirror to see beyond my elbow. I'm thinking that if I put a strong rod in the hole that is slightly below and right of the top screw, that I can bend the whole thing back into place. Of course, I fear this maneuver because my great mechanical ideas usually don't end well. I would just take it to the shop but there is only one in my small town and they are perfectly happy to just order everything new for $1000+ when this may not be necessary.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I'm thinking you have a different issue than I did. My mirror was fine before I removed it....other than the broken glass. I just had trouble putting it back on because the threaded holes were not centered. Good luck

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It looks like the front sub frame is bent looking at the picture and that lines up everything on the front of the bike. You may get lucky and straighten it out or have to replace it.

OP
OP
suedez

suedez

Suede
Bike
2006 St-1300
STOC #
I couldn't find a "front sub frame" on the bike bandit parts diagrams. Could that part have another name? I sure appreciate your help.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I couldn't find a "front sub frame" on the bike bandit parts diagrams. Could that part have another name? I sure appreciate your help.
You have bent the "Cowl Stay". The tabs that the mirrors hang off of are very weak and a good hit will bend them out of shape.

To replace it, you'll have to remove pretty much the entire front end (since it is what holds it all together).

I would buy the ST1300P (as in the Police version of the) stay (Look under 2012 ST1300PA. They are stronger and will take a little more of a beating.

I usually buy from Partzilla: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2012/ST1300PA+AC/COWL+STAY/parts.html

St1300P_UpperCowlStay.jpg

OP
OP
suedez

suedez

Suede
Bike
2006 St-1300
STOC #
Thanks!! I really appreciate your knowledge, help and expertise.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might read this: Go to Home > Most Replied Tech Articles > Stebel horn install. Dano has a lot of very good pictures of the right side mirror bracket. In this installation, he enlarges a hole in the steel bracket that the mirror bolts to. The Stebel horn then bolts through this hole. Compare his pictures to your bike, if you don't have the tupperware off yet. It should give you an idea of what is under the plastic.

Having just completed some work on my ST that had all the side panel tupperware off I can see how you are facing a big job. I touched none of the dashboard plastic or the windscreen cowl area, but I did thread some wires from side to side up under the instrument cluster. I'd echo the SupraSaber's comment about what you will have to do to replace this part. If you do it yourself, take it slow and try to find someone with experience wrenching on the front end.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You might read this: Go to Home > Most Replied Tech Articles > Stebel horn install. Dano has a lot of very good pictures of the right side mirror bracket. In this installation, he enlarges a hole in the steel bracket that the mirror bolts to. The Stebel horn then bolts through this hole. Compare his pictures to your bike, if you don't have the tupperware off yet. It should give you an idea of what is under the plastic.

Having just completed some work on my ST that had all the side panel tupperware off I can see how you are facing a big job. I touched none of the dashboard plastic or the windscreen cowl area, but I did thread some wires from side to side up under the instrument cluster. I'd echo the SupraSaber's comment about what you will have to do to replace this part. If you do it yourself, take it slow and try to find someone with experience wrenching on the front end.
Check out some of my pictures to see what you are in for (look for the front pictures, you'll see what's hiding under all that plastic.):

Wrecked2004

2010_Blue

OP
OP
suedez

suedez

Suede
Bike
2006 St-1300
STOC #
There's no way I'm going to be able to do this work with my (lack of) mechanical aptitude. Talked to the shop guy today - he says he may be able to bend the mirror tabs back. Otherwise, guess I'm looking at my first insurance claim in 35 years. Got a $500 deductible with Progressive. Hopefully, they won't jack my rates up too much. Was looking at the difference in parts prices with the dealer vs Bike Bandit and Partzilla. Wow - does Partzilla have them beat by a mile!!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
There's no way I'm going to be able to do this work with my (lack of) mechanical aptitude. Talked to the shop guy today - he says he may be able to bend the mirror tabs back. Otherwise, guess I'm looking at my first insurance claim in 35 years. Got a $500 deductible with Progressive. Hopefully, they won't jack my rates up too much. Was looking at the difference in parts prices with the dealer vs Bike Bandit and Partzilla. Wow - does Partzilla have them beat by a mile!!
That job is not that bad, you can do this just take your time and take pictures while you pull it apart. Than bolt on the new one and remount. If you run into any problems there are a bunch of people here who will help you.

Top Bottom