Rear Brake problem

Bike
2007 ST 1300
All,

My bike was not used last year at all, last week I started the process of getting the bike ready for a ride, I changed oil, filter etc. Clean the bike and took it for a ride, at that point I discovered that the rear brake were locked up , here is what I did however the problem is still there

1. Removed the rear wheel and re-lubed following directions from the ST owners site
2. Cleaned the pistons on the rear break with dot 4 Honda brake fluid thinking that was the problem
3. Replaced rear brakes since I had gone this far
4 Cleaned all caliper slides and then added a small amount of silicone grease
Put everything back together and I still have the problem

Any ideas, like bad brake fluid system flushed in 2012

Lost needing help

Tim

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just had this same problem after removing the rear wheel for a tire change. The rear brake binding was caused by a rear brake pad that was not seated in the front groove on the aluminum caliper frame. Removing only the rear brake pin and reinstalling the pads correctly was all it took to fix it. Worth a look. Seems like a reoccurring topic here.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The other item that will cause the rear to be applied is the Secondary Master Cylinder that is part of the left Front Caliper. They have been known to stick in the forward position. See if you can rotate the caliper away from the fork tube. many articles on the site to help out.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Sounds like you did most of the items I would have checked...
I'm a firm believer in always doing the simple things first and then moving on to the next

Since it worked the last time before ( sat one year ) fine, two things I would do;
1) As mentioned, comfirm the SMC is working properly and not causing the rear pad to drag... ( there are are several threads on checking this )
2) a FULL brake bleed is in order... this will eliminate the possible problems in that area and since it sat and is due anyway.

this may help;

brakes.png

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
PM sent from the white courtesy phone, standing by if needed.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
so... what happen? what was the problem? curious minds want to know.... I go far for these answers!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Nothing will be concealed from the forum, we are simply waiting for parts and tools to arrive before he is can complete the job.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
How do I rotate the SMC?
do you mean in a brake flush or to test it??
If in a brake fluid flush, it's unbolted and tilted back at 15d angle so the front hose is directly up... allows air to move out of unit.
If in a test to see if it functions, spin rear wheel and push on top end of SMC towards front of bike to depress piston... you'll see the rear wheel stop.
( the second I always do in the spring as during the startup of bike, fluid momentium causes rear wheel to rotate slowly and its easy to push on smc and watch the rear tire stop spinning ... release and it should start spinning again )

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Tom Mac thanks, my question was the spin test.
if doing this by yrself... it seems to work well if you sort of lay down and spin tire with foot while pushing on the top of the SMC... It will take a good push on the SMC but doesn't require much movement of same to activate it

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
Hello All,

First of all I would like to thank all member that have sent ideas and threads and a special thank you to Igofar for his calls and help on this matter. At this point I have no idea if the bike is fixed as it is DOWN FOR PARTS. I installed a set of new from a Honda dealer EBVC rear brakes and broke the retaining spring in the brake caliper (That is the only part needed). SO here is what I have done with Igofar's help

1.Removed front left caliper and cleaned and lubricated the needle bearings that help the SMC mover front and rear
2.Replaced rear brakes pads
3.Cleaned the bike

Remaining projects to do

1. Reinstall the brakes after instating the retaining spring
2. Reinstall the rear wheel
3. Bleed and flush the brake system and clutch with the new brake bleeding tool that Igofar tuned me on to the "motion pro brake bleeder" arrived yesterday 4-12-14
4.Reinstall the few Tupperware pieces
5. INSERT key and go for a ride

Many Thanks to all ST 1300 members for their support and guidance in this very trying time of have the bike "Sown for Repairs"

Best ride to all

Tim

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Let us know how it turns out, you did a great job on your trouble shooting, hope everything works well, feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.
Larry

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
To All,

Parts came in last night so I am going to try and put the ST 1300 together over this weekend. I will update the gruop when I complete with the out come.

Again Thank you !

Tim

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
All,

The parts came in yesterday and I worked on this most of today.

End results the rear wheel is still locked up

I did the following

1. Replaced rear pads
2. installed new caliper spring
3. Bleed the brakes as per the web site
4. Clean all brake areas

Rear wheel is still loced up ?

Ideas?

Top Bottom