Carb float height adjustment......help

Bike
1997 ST1100
Can anyone recommend a good site that has visual aids on how to adjust the float height. I looked at the haynes manual and I just don't get it. I know the clearance for my 97 is supposed to be 7mm, but if I'm doing it right, mine are way off. I looked at Youtube but wasn't able to find any good videos. I am so missing riding, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Can anyone recommend a good site that has visual aids on how to adjust the float height. I looked at the haynes manual and I just don't get it. I know the clearance for my 97 is supposed to be 7mm, but if I'm doing it right, mine are way off. I looked at Youtube but wasn't able to find any good videos. I am so missing riding, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
its been years since I did this type of thing, but assuming you have at least one good cylinder to use as a reference, one way to set the floats is to drain each bowl into a graduated cylinder, and verify each bowl contains the same amount of gas. The other way is to attach a tube to the bowl with a graduated clear section, and make sure the level of each bowl is the same.

Never did this adjustment on the ST, but in the old days the 'adjustment' was to bend the metal tab that actuates the shutoff pin. However, if one of your floats has sprung a leak and taken on gas, then you'll likely not be able to adjust that one until you replace the bad float.

Finally, not sure what motivated you into this effort, but if there's no symptom, don't fix it.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
No advice on the carb, but when I saw this thread it reminded me of when my son asked me what a "45" was. I wonder how long before kids ask the same about carbs. :D

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Basically a line drawn through the center of the float should be parallel to the mounting surface of the float bowl.

I think the 7mm spec is the distance from the bottom of the float to the mounting surface of the float bowl. I'm out of town at the moment. When I get home, I'll check my service manual.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If you have a spring loaded float needle plunger, float height is set just resting and without compressing the plunger.
Never needed to mess with them on an ST (did some adjustments on CB's though...), confirmed equal levels towards the housing edge by cutting a small template out of piece of thin carton and slipping it over all 4 floats.

OP
OP
Bike
1997 ST1100
Thanks, DriveRider....the video answered the question I was really asking. My bike should be up and running real soon.

Top Bottom