My Lonely ST

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have reached a sad state of affairs - I don't ride anymore. I don't have any good reason, not even an excuse. Maybe some of you have been there.
In the past year, I have ridden so little, for the first time I didn't bother to post any mileage. I know my ST says "What about it?" every time I pass it in the garage. On three occasions I planned trips that I didn't take at the last minute (well, day or two actually). I even told acquaintances along the route that I was coming by, then nope, I'm not. It isn't the weather; it isn't work (I retired 3 years ago but still teach part time); it isn't the cost; it isn't the wife - it's ME. I'm not so crazy I want to sell the bike -- yet. I just don't have the yeehaw let's ride the way I used to. The bike is comfortable, I have lots of farkles and gear. What I don't have is motivation. So my doc gave me happy pills. My family says I'm more mellow (not that Mellow) but it hasn't changed my not riding.
I like what I'm doing - teaching robotics, so I'm guessing it's not the obvious - depression. I certainly don't feel sad. My best guess is my body is telling me that at (only) 71 it may not be a good idea. Ridiculous.

John-

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
Try a smaller, lighter bike for just knocking around town. I'm not in my 70's, but I find I choose to ride my Royal Enfield 500 much more than my ST1300. I think I ride the little bike more because it is so much easier getting in and out of the garage and parking spaces and more fun at short trip town speeds.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Take some time off and try something else for a while to take up your spare time. If the passion to ride does not come back then maybe it will be time to move on and sell the bike. Good luck!!

Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
John, I can relate. It started with me with my VTX1800 about four years ago. I had had the bike for five years and averaged around 4000-5000 miles a year until the last year. At that time I though I just wanted something different, so I traded the X in for the 3rd generation Magna I thought I always wanted. In one season, put a whopping 1200 miles on it. But that one I just flat didn't like anywhere near as much as I thought I would. Then I had a chance to grab a Triumph Thunderbird. Finally, a bike I really wanted. Two years later, it has less than 2,300 miles on the clock. Pathetic.

I've contemplated just selling it and be done with riding. Until I saw the CTX1300, the bike I've been wishing Honda would build since I traded my ST1300 11 years ago. So I'm giving it one more shot, with the hope that this is the machine that will reignite my desire to ride. I've decided that this is it -- if I don't get back to or at least close to my 'normal' 4000-5000 annual riding miles, I'll be selling this soon to be arriving CTX1300 (tomorrow, as a matter of fact) as soon as I can recoup what I owe on it and just hang up the spurs.

Don't know if that helps or not, but you can at least know that you're not unique to this 'riders malaise'. Some people get it worse than others. Heck, garages everywhere are sporting badly neglected rides probably for the same reasons. Maybe set yourself aside one day that you're not going to let anything get between you and a ride. I think one of two things will happen -- you'll either remind yourself how much you used to love to ride, or you'll reaffirm your lack of interest in riding any more. I did just that this past weekend, and I'm thinking the love is still there, and I just need to set my mind to reserving time to get out and hit the road. Either way, good luck to you figuring out which way you want to go.

Bike
2013 st 1300
I think you need a new interest. That's what always happens when I feel as you've described. I'm never sure where I'll end up but it's always something I fully immerse in and love, even if only briefly. To date, quit smoking, race mountain bikes, retirement from military, back to school, get new job, get promotion in new job, sea kayaking, and currently long distance motorcycle touring. There are usually secondary interests that don't interfere with the big one of the moment. Look around and see what is pulling you a little. The bike will be fine and is very patient

Bike
2009 ST1300
Ahh yes..I get it..
The ol' " its almost to much trouble"etc... I just turned 50, My knees, arms elbows and wrists are in pain 24/7 from arthritis and the damage from years of butchering. My girlfriend, and a few other pals here rally me to get on and go for short weekend trips under 200 miles round trip. When riding,I have to stretch out my legs every 20 minutes. My hands are numb from start finish. But... by back feels fine and might be the most messed up part of me.. The posture of the St is perfect.. Anyway, Maybe wash and wax up the beast to get you in the mood. I try not not to "plan" to much when it comes to road trips.. I used to ride a lot alone while the G.F. is at work.. that to me is getting boring but I force myself out there. I have been riding for 28 years and the wind still pisses me off, so on windy days, alone, I ride to face my demons.. In Montana I had a truck come over a rise and clip my bike at about 70. we pulled over, he went off the road. It was so close, slow motion, no reaction time etc. the guy was drunk, we where the only ones on the road going in opposite directions, he went to jail and I sold my VTX1800c vowed to never ride again. That lasted about 2 years... Sometimes having no bike at all makes you want it bad, while knowing you have your bike in your garage at the ready, makes you put things off as it will always be there for you.. IMG_4204.jpg

Bike
2009 ST1300
Physics,Astronomy?... my fav subjects... In my next life I will stay in school..Love that stuff. theoretical, string theory, etc... some of it a bit of a stretch, but then again how do we know?..I bike cutoff point is when I start looking at trikes.. I like em. But that gyroscopic motion, feeling, in corners etc is what makes it fun..:) cant do that with a trike..

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Your not alone... my desire to ride varies with many factors, but lately it's not as strong as has been. Not that I've lost the love to ride, just I find some of the things I need to do take a higher priority. It's been about a week since I've been on the bike and was getting ready to ride this afternoon... just to do the "Loop" and get a cup of coffee. I like to get out on the bike with others if there is no destination and just ride the roads. If there is an opportunity to ride for a couple of weeks and I have the wife's blessing, then its "Game ON". I love the long rides and the open roads and mountain vistas with the accompanying twisties. Just a short ride... well, once in a while.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Because I almost ride everyday, commuting, I don't have a strong desire to go for day rides, just to ride. For me, it is to take off for two or three days that I look forward to.

Everyone has different desires and maybe for you riding isn't a priority.

I'm just hoping I can still ride at 71! :D

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
All good advice and some right on the money.
I think I would like longer trips instead of the local loops but I would enjoy it a whole lot more if there were a companion or two. The riders I know aren't riding much if any any more. Then, I don't think many would want to ride the way I do, so I need another solution.
I do have other interests but none that means I couldn't take breaks to ride. A think another, smaller bike may be a good idea. Several times I think of riding the ST to my part-time teaching job, but it just seems like over kill to ride 10 miles. Then there is the "issue" I mentioned in another post some time ago - over pants. I wear a full face helmet, jacket, proper boots and gloves, but for short trips the over pants irritate me. Maybe I'll substitute Kevlar jeans, not the same I know.

John-

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
John,

I believe lots of situations & interests go in cycles. Maybe your interests in riding have been fulfilled. You may be looking for new challenges or new things to learn.

When this happen to me, & it does, I follow my instincts & make a change.

Nothing wrong w/ you not being interested in riding. Follow your inner self & best wishes for your new path(s) forward.

Jack

Bike
ST1300A '10
I love my ST but she's a big girl and unless I'm putting at least a few hundred miles in it seems at times like using a sledge hammer to drive in a finishing nail. I'd second the smaller bike bit, I picked this up last year and for lighter duty and back road bombing its a delight:

My first bike was a parallel twin (RD250). Jumping on this this pulls me back 30 years. You'd be suprised how that & loosing say 200-300# of mass can make things a bit more playful.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, I think I'm going to try a smaller bike for local rides. Smaller bike and no over pants. I know the risk is greater but when we ride we accept the risk.
Hehe - I bet there are a few suggestions.

While I'm posting this otherwise depression message, let me say that st-owners has been a fantastic source of information, assistance with bike problems, good advice on farkels, and an enjoyable interchange with riders who are a caring and friendly bunch as one can find anywhere. Your motorcycle trips and escapades has been a source of riding inspiration.

John-

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Get one of these and go explore. The bike becomes secondary to the places that you can go find. The out of way places I have been able to go have kept my interest in riding for many years.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I put in 200 miles today on the St trying to keep up with my father n law who is 81. He got rid of his wing a few years ago in favor of a cruiser type bike. He now rids a 1500 Suzuki Blvd

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Then there is the "issue" I mentioned in another post some time ago - over pants
You mentioned this a couple times, so let me suggest Motoport stretch kevlar street jeans. Send them your best fitting jeans and they make an exact copy. Protection and all day comfort, even off the bike.

ShaftyNZ

Riding Godzone
Bike
06 ST1300
Hey John

Just wanna say, I LOVE the colour if your ST! Awesome.

Good luck and take care

Pete

Bike
ST 1300
John....I know the feeling. I don't know how big you are physically...I am 5'10" 175 libs. I find the second bike a relief to ride around twon on. Ita a kawasaki vulcan 500 and its a blast to ride. They dont make them anymore but they are available (after 20 some odd years) if you look. for about 2500 bucks you may find a fun ride. If you are much bigger than I am then you wont fit very well. Either way good luck with your decision

Bike
07 ST1300A
I don't think it is the passion that has died. It is a combination of uncompromising principles and some reluctance to spend more time. My ATGATT (FF helmet, jacket, over pants, riding boots and gloves) policy, a promise I made to myself, means an added 10 precious minutes in the morning. Living in a four season state like Michigan means that there are different requirements at different times of the year. Sometimes out of sheer laziness, I would walk into the garage and drive off in my car instead of the hassles of gearing up. The cost/benefit ratio of gearing up vs. riding is indeed worsened if the commute is shorter, such as a ride to the grocery store. Unfortunately, the longer I stay away, the more addicted I get to just getting out and driving. I've always wondered if a Stich suit will make the gearing up process easier....

--Ram

Last edited:
Top Bottom