Track Days?

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Anyone done one of these on their ST? Got a good friend who is an instructor for one of the groups who has me itching to do one of these! Had several tell me that it will make you a better overall rider. They will also set your bike up for you. Includes classroom as well as on the track coaching.
Just wanted to get some input from others who may have done this.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Have not but I am thinking about it. They have one near me that is geared for first timers only. Great idea.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did one back in 2007. I found the gearing threw me off too much because I don't like keeping the ST1300 in the upper RPM range. I was actually wishing I had my old V45 Sabre for that class!

TrackDay2007

Last edited:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have done 3 different sessions over 4 years with Reg Pridmore at Road America. I learn and improve each time I go. I understand there are a lot of similarities with the different sponsored events that use classroom and track time. There is a lot of good training for street safety in a good class, I would highly recommend a track day if you have one in your area.

OP
OP
SmashVol

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
The one I am going to do is more East Coast. It is not something that I would regularly go to with a ST. I may see a crotch rocket in my future, never thought I would be saying that.
This may be a more "race" oriented if that is how you want to categorize it. Here is the web address http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/ and if you put STT Track days in a youtube search you will find many videos on it.
My friend, the instructor, said they had a Goldwing out there last month at Barber.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I cancelled my reservation last Fall at VIR with Reg Pridmore. I read his book twice, watched videos of his classes, and canvased many opinions from riders who attended "Class" as well as other Track Schools. Despite an overwhelming amount of positive experiences, there were a few negatives. I came to the conclusion that I did not want to put myself at risk with other riders who were new to a closed course of instruction. In retrospect, I did the right thing as I had no interest in finding my limits or those of the bike. There was an incident last Fall at VIR where a C14 exited a rain soaked corner with too much throttle and crashed..................................and that could have been me behind or next to him.
At 68, I should be using my brain to manage risk as my physical attributes decay.

Just my opinion.

OP
OP
SmashVol

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I do know what you mean and have some thoughts along your line. Not looking to find the limits, just advance my skill. Having such a good friend who is a teacher there helps. May change my mind but looking to try it at least this one time next month. I'm 50 and just getting back and asked my bud a TON of questions since I am not "experienced" and the novice will not get me in over my head he assures me. Better be right or I'll haunt him if the worse happens!
I cancelled my reservation last Fall at VIR with Reg Pridmore. I read his book twice, watched videos of his classes, and canvased many opinions from riders who attended "Class" as well as other Track Schools. Despite an overwhelming amount of positive experiences, there were a few negatives. I came to the conclusion that I did not want to put myself at risk with other riders who were new to a closed course of instruction. In retrospect, I did the right thing as I had no interest in finding my limits or those of the bike. There was an incident last Fall at VIR where a C14 exited a rain soaked corner with too much throttle and crashed..................................and that could have been me behind or next to him.
At 68, I should be using my brain to manage risk as my physical attributes decay.

Just my opinion.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I do know what you mean and have some thoughts along your line. Not looking to find the limits, just advance my skill. Having such a good friend who is a teacher there helps. May change my mind but looking to try it at least this one time next month. I'm 50 and just getting back and asked my bud a TON of questions since I am not "experienced" and the novice will not get me in over my head he assures me. Better be right or I'll haunt him if the worse happens!
If I had a Track Instructor as a friend, I would ask to have him coach me 1 on 1 on less frequently traveled public roads. I'm not overly worried about crashing on a closed course if I commit an error, I'm more concerned about another bonehead/rookie/aggressive/panicked rider taking me out. You have no mirrors to see what's behind you or to the sides along with taped/disconnected brake lights of those in front of you as on the street.

If you avoid riding with others who you don't know on the street, why would want to do so on the track?

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

Just my opinion.
Sorry to hear you decided not to attend. I'm one of Reg's current instructors (West coast), and CLASS has an outstanding safety record--which is what always kept me coming back to Reg when I was a student.

Two of Reg's rules are: 1) No inside passing, and 2) Take care of the person in front of you--no close passes.

www.classrides.com

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've done two track days with my ST. Both were instructed with class time between track time. I learned a lot in a safe environment about line selection, managing traction and lean angle, tire grip and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in improving their riding. Not just faster on the but smoother and safer practices on the street plus confidence in just how much grip is available if you need to tighten a corner to avoid debris or a hazard.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I am jealous of those who have an opportunity for track days. There are several race tracks here in Colorado that offer track days but it is my understanding that there are prohibiting factors keeping me off the track. Please those in Colorado correct me if I am wrong.

They require full leather riding suits or two piece with full encirclement zipper, boots, glove, and a Full-face DOT helmet. No modular or 3/4 helmets allowed. On the bike all blinkers and mirrors must be removed and the headlight must be taped. But the kicker is one must go through and wire nut a lot of the nuts on the bike. And lastly no antifreeze. You must use water wetter as coolant.

Just the riding gear alone is prohibitive just for a couple of times. Our normal synthetic gear is not allowed here on the tracks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did mine through a club and we rented the track for the day so some of the rules were relaxed for us. We had to wear FF helmets and one piece or two piece zippered together suits but they could be textile. Mirrors had to be removed or taped (you don't really want the distraction of seeing someone behind you) and lights had to be removed or taped over. No restrictions on coolant or requirements to safety wire. If these were required I wouldn't have done the events.

OP
OP
SmashVol

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Not sure why you think I'm avoiding riding with others. Maybe something came through my quote wrong. Ride every chance I get and do ride with the instructor on the street as well. Thanks everyone for your input and will let you know of my experience with it when I go.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Not sure why you think I'm avoiding riding with others. Maybe something came through my quote wrong. Ride every chance I get and do ride with the instructor on the street as well. Thanks everyone for your input and will let you know of my experience with it when I go.
The statement regarding riding with others who you don't know was not directed to you as it seems to be a common theme among many riders on a multitude of forums(group rides, parades, charity runs, etc.), but it does apply to me.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Although for me, I didn't get a lot out of that class, other than I now have a habit of keeping the balls of my feet on the pegs 90% of the time. On the good side, it helped my son, Bobby, a lot on his R1. Not long after he bought the R1, he and his brother-in-law joined Dana and I for the ride out to the Long Beach Motorcycle show. We rode over Ortega and Bobby was so inexperienced that he wasn't leaning at all! Both Dana and I were draging our feet so he (an his BIL) could keep up wth us.

After that class and a few more, the last time I went up to Palomar (I don't like Palomar), Bobby was having to wait for me...but I don't do well on tight roads, I get motion sickness real bad, unless I take it real easy! :eek:4:

So, expect to learn!

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Just my opinion.
I understand and respect your cautious approach to Reg Pridmore's Class, I too had similar concerns. But after going to my first class, I was impressed by the level of safety that was imposed on the event, and went back 2 more times over the next 3 years. The Class is not about finding your limits, it is about improving your skills. You are not on the track with riders that are well beyond your skill level (except for the instructors), and you can easily access 1 on 1 instruction, if that is what you wish. The class is organized in 20 minute track sessions alternating with 20-30 minute classroom sessions, you have plenty of opportunity to take the entire session at your own pace. At no time have I ever felt pressured to try to push my limits. A good portion of the training is to develop what you need to do to stay out of trouble on the road, and develop reactions to situations that will be correct and automatic in the event you find yourself in a situation.
The last session I went to had heavy rain for most of the day. I was always bothered by the rain and wet pavement, but this class really helped me to get past some of my apprehension and learn how to handle the weather. I think these classes are there to develop your skills and improve your confidence, ONLY that combination will make you a safer rider.

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
My one -and- only Track Day (so far) was done on my '03 ST...at Blackhawk Farms in Beloit.

It was "a blast"!

My goals for the day were simple:
1. Don't "bin" the bike...and, since I rode it there, I would have a long walk home if I trashed it.
2. Improve my technique. "Faster" wasn't of interest to me..."smoother" was. But, with smoother technique came (much faster) lap times.

I (happily) joined the beginner / novice group....and was clearly riding the biggest / heaviest 'cycle in the session. Got passed dozens of times by much faster / more skillful riders, but still left wholly satisfied with the experience.

I even got one pass in myself...and had enough HP / Displacement to hold the position throughout the rest of the session!

My only regret is that I didn't make enough use of the on-track rider / coaches....

I will do another....on the ST or on another 'cycle. I am absolutely convinced of the benefits of learning skills and practicing on the track...where everybody is going the same direction, skilled eyes are all around the track,a nd riders overtaking have clear responsibilities w/r/t those they are passing.

Top Bottom