Help with sticky brakes! ! Driving me crazy!

Ok, I am a Master Certified Auto tech but these combo brakes are really pissing me off, mainly because there deflating my self image of being a decent wrench!
Here's the abbreviated story. I finally decided to replace my brake pads front and rear. I cheaped out and used aftermarket pads but they appear identical. We'll now I have a slight drag on all brakes that causes rotors to heat up while riding even when not applying brakes. The bike rolls fine and the wheels turn by hand but there is a detectable slight drag. My first thought was retracting the caliper pistons had caused piston crud to bind the pistons. So I removed all calipers and pistons. Cleaned and polished all pistons and bores, inspected and cleaned seals. No new seals available locally. Pistons seemed to move easily at least compared to auto calipers I have rebuilt.
Put everything back together and all brakes still have slight drag. Next I loosen hoses and bleeders and brakes seem to free, I then disassemble and clean the rear master, secondary master and bleed out system again. Guess what, still slight overheating drag. I discovered that my loosening the bleeders and lines did not really loosen caliper but it was the twisting action on caliper that loosened the drag. Next I tried the old worn out pads again, still dragging. I've checked for pin binding and proper pad fit and all appear ok. My next step is to order all new seals and fully rebuild all calipers with Oem seals even though I haven't found any corrosion. Sorry for the long post if you've made it this far!
This easy job has used up two days of my vacation and I would love to buy a steak dinner for someone that leads me to a fix!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Check the threads for the proper bleed sequence removing the left caliper rotaing to clear the smc etc.
It's fairly normal to have the rear a little warmer than the front. If they're too hot to touch with just riding and not significant braking somethings up. If the pistons are clean and the seals look ok replacing them might be overkill.

If the pads give you issues getting the hanger pin in the front tang portion might not be fully installed.
The H shaped spring clip in the front of the callipers might be disloged.

Pushing on the calipers prolly drove the pistons a little further than normal leaving the rotor with no contact which isn't the normal state after releasing the brakes.
I guess the question is how much rotation to you get by hand and how hot is hot :)

Igofar will be along in a few minutes with the virtues of the motion pro bleeder LOL.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
...sorry for the late reply, was washing brake fluid off my hands :rofl1:
PM me your contact phone number, and I would be glad to call you on the white courtesy phone and see if I can assist you.
Igofar

Bike
2006 ST1300
1. Honda's system is overly complex and needless. I hate complex...especially when unnecessary!

2. Have you ensured the pads slide very freely in the brackets? I've found, especially with aftermarket pads, that sometimes a little smoothing of the slide surfaces on the pads is necessary. Being an auto tech yourself you have probably dealt with this a lot on cages.

3. Make sure the levers are moving freely. My 1300s front lever sticks a bit when temps drop and I have to make sure it is pushed out. Seeing this thread reminded me I have to disassemble, clean, and lube that lever!

4. Listen to Igofar. He knows these brakes!

OP
OP
Thanks everyone! IGOFAR called me with the right procedures and trouble spots! I followed his recommendations reinstalling factory pads and lubing all slights and pivots followed with correct bleeding procedures. Test drove great with all rotors staying cool and except right front which still burning hot to touch with no braking during test drive. removed right front removed all springs and retainers, reinstalled one aftermarket pad. Test drove one last time with all rotors cool or at least not hot to touch. Take it on a long ride after dinner and see what happens

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
After you threw your OEM pads in the dumpster, and had to go dumpster diving to find them :rofl1:, you may have not put the pads back into the same places that they were, what you may be feeling in the right front rotor is the incorrect pad bedding in again. As I suggested on the phone, replace all the pads with OEM ones, clean the pistons and seals with DOT 4 fluid, don't use spray brake cleaner on them, clean behind the seals to see if dust and dirt got forced back behind them, then strap your lever & pedal over night, I'll contact you tomorrow and see how things went tonight, thanks for hanging in there and not giving up, we'll (all the forum members & myself) help you get this sorted out.
Igofar

jduff8505

RDIV3.14
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
This does not look good for me, my front pads are sticking after replacement last weekend. What was found to be the cause here?

Top Bottom