Public recognition for a generous kiltman among us

Bike
1998 ST 1100
When kiltman (Robert) was headed our way (Winnipeg) he asked here if anyone wanted to get together for a M&G. Given the open nature of the crew here on st-owners, I didn't hesitate. We met a couple of times and I was grateful for the laughs and good company. It was a little early to be riding, but got together and had no shortage of common ground on bike conversation.

kiltman is indeed a kilt man and wears one all the time it seems. Great quality, including a high quality kilt, look's it's best, to me, when well used, like a fine old st1100 I think. I'm a sucker for fine patina. Robert's kilts are impressive garments. I've seen a few before as my Mum has an interest.

If you're of that persuasion Robert's work is available here: http://www.rkilts.com/ So tempted is me. It's all about that Scottish blood. ;)

One of the big perks of meeting up was getting an invitation to be back stage to watch him manage a cast and crew of a couple hundred at the closing show of La boh?me, staged by Manitoba Opera on Friday night. The cast and crew were remarkably happy about working, which made it all the more fun to be in the mix.

The soprano stole my heart. [-]Grown men cry? That's a thing?[/-]
http://www.manitobaopera.mb.ca/It

It was an impressive showcase of some of kiltman's skills as he followed his annotated score in a binder with about 250 pages wearing a mic'd head set, with microphones and a phone available at a sizable console of monitors and controls. I've been to the opera a few times, but my wife had not. Robert ensured my wife had a wonderful seat close to the action while I was ushered in the stage door for a more pragmatic look at the show.

Travel, whether on motorcycle or where ever I happen to be, is always a welcome change. I'm grateful for the community here. Thanks very much for you generous spirit Robert. It was a night to remember. What an interesting job you have! A first of many st-owner encounters I hope. Travel can happen no matter where we are.

Cheers! Ian

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It was a blast to meet Ian, It was like we were friends for years!
I was pleased to share the backstage workings of an opera. It can be rather fun to see the behind the scenes aspect of the job.
The soprano also melted my heart, an amazing person with a fabulous voice.
We joked that maybe we should create a ride to eat event around the opera...if only there wasn't so much snow!!!!
Ian I crossed the border at Tolstoi an interesting experience. ;)

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Cool! And a very different post than the usual oil, tires, BBQ topics:) Glad Robert was able to provide that unique experience for you and your wife.

OP
OP
Remontoire
Bike
1998 ST 1100
Do you think pretty much any kilt wearer could sing opera with the weather we've had? ;-)
A worthy question! I'm not sure. They're big men. I wouldn't put it passed kiltman. He could certainly play banjo through it. :)

kiltman himself suggested the cruiser style he had, earlier in his man crush for bikes, was not doable with said kilt.
Just sayin'.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I don't think that I am allowed to go to the opera, I listen to the CBC 8 to 12 hours a day and get enough grief over that so I won't push the opera thing. Jeff has a good point with the cold weather we have had here I am sure that could effect the pitch of ones voice.

Gerhard

p.S. Glad you made it back to Ontario Robert!

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I heard Robert was going to do his best impression of the soprano...while wearing his kilt...just after breakfast at the Cracker Barrel:bow1:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I heard Robert was going to do his best impression of the soprano...while wearing his kilt...just after breakfast at the Cracker Barrel:bow1:
That will mean I will have to practice on my ride down....we can pair our headsets together right?

Top Bottom