satellite radio question

I am trying to figure out if there is a simple way to have a satellite radio on the bike. Specifically, is there one I can mount, plug into the power source on the bike, and have the signal blue tooth directly to earphones in the helmet?

If so, what are the best in helmet set ups?

Thanks for the help.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The only bluetooth sat radio I know of is built into the Garmin Zumo 665. Unfortunately it is very expensive- though if you price out a good XM radio and basic waterproof motorcycle specific GPS you'll find they come out close in price.

I used to just get the cheapest sat radio, usually the free one they will include with a subscription plan, and mount that up. You can get a bluetooth dongle to plug it into that will transmit to your helmet, usually well under $50...some are closer to $20. If you ride mostly in dry weather just mount the radio just behind the dash or windshield. I had it on the handlebars of my KLR650 and it survived more than a year riding in all kinds of weather. I did have an extra tall windshield, so that helped keep it dry.

For power, an XM radio takes very little. There is an accessory harness (called the Quartet harness) located behind the right fairing that you can tap into. Put a small metal plate somewhere to attach the antenna to.

Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
Plenty of portable sat radios with RAM mount options. A small Bluetooth dongle that connects to the audio output can be used for connection to your Bluetooth helmet headset (check Amazon). Good luck!

OP
OP
Thank guys. I am a techno retard. Is one better than another?

Cheap with decent audio is far better than expensive with perfect sound.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I use a Pandora app from my cell, Bluetooth it to my helmet. There are a few places where there is a short loss of contact, like under high tension lines.
My main helmet is a Shoei Neo-Tec, with an Interphone F5 Bluetooth unit. I bought it from Helmet City, it came with enough stuff to put speakers and microphones in both a Neo-Tec, with a boom mike, and an RF-1100 with the mike mounted on the inside of the chin-bar. All I have to do is change the module to change helmets.

It shuts off the music automatically for a phone call, in or out, and turns it back on when the phone connection is done.

OP
OP
Thanks. I will look at that. I enjoy radio, but really like news, talk etc. for the really long interstate trips. I am not sure if that is available through Pandora.

Now I just need a helmet that fits. The shoei I have leaves a permanent crease in my forehead after just 30 minutes or so. Having the "long oval" head is a pain in the backside. The only helmet I found that really fit had a nearly $550 price tag on it.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Now I just need a helmet that fits. The shoei I have leaves a permanent crease in my forehead after just 30 minutes or so. Having the "long oval" head is a pain in the backside. The only helmet I found that really fit had a nearly $550 price tag on it.
check this for helmets and shape choices... may help for narrow;
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

As to Sat radio.. there a some in the $50 ( as low as $29 with mail in) range like the SiriusXM Satellite Radio SSV7V1 that work well but BT will have to be external... ( as mentioned as a dongle )
As long as it has a earjack out the A2DP dongles usu use. The model also has a FM transmitter I believe so if yr helmet has a FM unit built in, that may solve yr problem.

OP
OP
Thanks. I have not checked there. I was checking revzilla, but they don't have a sort option for narrow, round etc. That would make their site really pop.

Bike
09 ST1300
Ram mount and a cheap SAT radio .. take a look at Sena ..think they have a dongle that connects bluetooth to their radio unit.

unsure of sena or scala .. on which is better .. but do know there is a dongle.

thx

Bike
05 st1300
STOC #
Smart phone with I Heart radio app....Will get you all the talk radio you need. You will still need a Bluetooth headset or you can just go with ear buds.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Bike
2006 ST1300
Smart phone with I Heart radio app....Will get you all the talk radio you need. You will still need a Bluetooth headset or you can just go with ear buds.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
Along those lines, you can upgrade your sat account to include internet radio and just use the SiriusXM app and BT from your phone. You'll obviously need to have the phone plugged in for anything more than a short trip to work. But as long as you get cell data sirius would work.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks guys. How much data does the ap use? Is it like watching videos in terms of usage?
I've got unlimited data so I don't ever pay attention. But it shouldn't use near what netflix or other video streaming services do. I think its supposed to be a 128kb stream.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Thanks guys. How much data does the ap use? Is it like watching videos in terms of usage?
Audio generally goes around 30 MB/hour for low quality (64Kbps) to 60 MB/hour (128 Kbps). For talk radio or listenining in a noisy environment like a motorcycle, low quality should be more than enough

--Ram

OP
OP
After looking into this more and trying to stream from the phone in the car, I found a lot of dead spots that are a pain.

I have pretty well decided to get actual sat radio for the car and the bike. Mounting on the bike seems a little tricky, but I think I can figure something out.

Can anyone suggest a Bluetooth transmitter that is decent quality and affordable? Will the $25 ones work well enough? I have seen everything from $19 to $130.

THanks

Lost Dutchman

Joe M.
STOC #
redman,
I got my install kit here: http://www.tss-radio.com/satellite-radio-accessories/sirius-xm-motorcycle-parts/sirius-xm-motorcycle-kits/sirius-xm-professional-motorcycle-install-kit.html

I don't use xm anymore, if you would like I would be glad to send you the mount and radio base (for the roady style radio) for the cost of postage. Here are a couple of pics on how it looked when mounted.
100_0941.jpg 100_0942.jpg

I'm not including the power supply, antenna or radio. Power supply and antenna went to someone else already, and the radio is 5-6 years old and is pretty beat up.

You would still need to run power, antenna up to it. I mounted my power supply under the windshield cowling, and my antenna on top of the dash.

Let me know if you want em!

Top Bottom