Anyone try the new Bestem quick release?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looked at the 929 case and the 2012 when I chose the 2012 for my ST. At that time it had a button release when the case was unlocked. Just unlock and push button to lift it off the bracket. My 2012 has that now but I added a bolt in the center with a wing nut and clip for extra security.

Is this different?

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Looked at the 929 case and the 2012 when I chose the 2012 for my ST. At that time it had a button release when the case was unlocked. Just unlock and push button to lift it off the bracket. My 2012 has that now but I added a bolt in the center with a wing nut and clip for extra security.

Is this different?
That sounds about right. Would you trust it enough to allow a passenger lean on the backrest while on the highway? And for clarification, does the bolt and wing nut just hold the mounting bracket in place, or does it go through the case as well (i.o.w. do you have to remove the bolt and wing nut to remove the case?)? And why did you chose the 2012 over the 929?

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My 2012 has the push button as well, I put two bolts through the bottom of it because I didn't trust it. I haven't seen the locking one. Good box for the money though.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put the bolt through the case and base plate.

Here is the document I published that shows my install. It shows the extra security bolt I used and how I installed it.

I have used it with my wife in pillion leaning on the case on the highway. No problem there.
I chose the 2012 because I liked the look better. Now I might have gone with the 929 since they changed that orange band they used to have to black around the middle. 42 liters (2012) was and still is enough for me but 46 liters (929) wouldn't go to waste either. My next bike may have the 929 case.
I have since found space just below the built in light in the case lid for another LED bar and wired both. The built in bar is for running lights and the extra LED bar is for brake lights on mine. The 929 is different but still does or could have a light bar in it.

Note: I have heard on other boards I've been on that even the Givi quick release has failed at times. It's rare regardless the brand, but it has happened. Thus the quick release security bolt as an extra measure.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had a 929. Didn't exactly trust the push button release, felt pretty loose.

I drilled a1/4" hole through the case and the rear tail section. Used a 3" clevis pin (aquired form the local Ace hardware) and a couple of fender washers. Put a small slip on the other end (below the tail section) and the case was locked on and worry of it sliding off.

Now when the bike did a sudden stop from 50mph and bounced over a curb the pin was not quite enough to hold the box on... but I can live with that.

Top Bottom