ST1300 needs some electrical load

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
After adding an ammeter, voltage gauge and batt-mon I had an observation that was plain to see but unexpected. The ST1300 is designed to have more of an electrical load then just the basic engine and a few LED lights.

Over the last few months I have been turning off my HID headlights during the day and instead running the LED driving lights. I figured it saves wear -n tear on the bulbs/ballast and the LED driving lights just plain show up more conspicuously. Probably because they don't have the vertical cut-off like the headlights do, but they are not blindingly bright during the day like running my hi-beams would be.

But after installing the meters I found that my voltage was bouncing around and the amperage going back into the battery was not settling in like it should be. After 10~15 minutes the battery had sufficient time to re-charge after starting the bike. Amperage going into the battery should be below the 1 amp range. Mine was bouncing up to 4.

I hope I didn't over-charge the battery and boil it a bit, but I might have. Oh well, too late now.

So FYI.. if reducing the load on your ST1300 electric system, keep an eye on the voltage. You don't necessarily need an ammeter, you can do it with just a volt-meter. Establish a base-line and make sure you aren't going over it after reducing the load.
More then you probably wanted to know...
T

PS Sometimes you just can't find a happy medium. Wired to my headlights to be on all the time is a pair of HID's as fog/cornering lights. So when I have my lights on now I am really running two pair. If I sit at a traffic light for a moment... I see the batt-mon coming on green, meaning my battery charge is good but voltage has dropped to where the system is not charging the battery. Amperage has dropped to 0 (relative to battery, it won't read negative) and the voltage drops a bit. But soon as off-idle everything is fine, the battery is just acting as a buffer.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
After adding an ammeter, voltage gauge and batt-mon I had an observation that was plain to see but unexpected. The ST1300 is designed to have more of an electrical load then just the basic engine and a few LED lights.
Over the last few months I have been turning off my HID headlights during the day and instead running the LED driving lights. I figured it saves wear -n tear on the bulbs/ballast and the LED driving lights just plain show up more conspicuously. Probably because they don't have the vertical cut-off like the headlights do, but they are not blindingly bright during the day like running my hi-beams would be.

But after installing the meters I found that my voltage was bouncing around and the amperage going back into the battery was not settling in like it should be. After 10~15 minutes the battery had sufficient time to re-charge after starting the bike. Amperage going into the battery should be below the 1 amp range. Mine was bouncing up to 4.

I hope I didn't over-charge the battery and boil it a bit, but I might have. Oh well, too late now.

So FYI.. if reducing the load on your ST1300 electric system, keep an eye on the voltage. You don't necessarily need an ammeter, you can do it with just a volt-meter. Establish a base-line and make sure you aren't going over it after reducing the load.
More then you probably wanted to know...
T
PS Sometimes you just can't find a happy medium. Wired to my headlights to be on all the time is a pair of HID's as fog/cornering lights. So when I have my lights on now I am really running two pair. If I sit at a traffic light for a moment... I see the batt-mon coming on green, meaning my battery charge is good but voltage has dropped to where the system is not charging the battery. Amperage has dropped to 0 (relative to battery, it won't read negative) and the voltage drops a bit. But soon as off-idle everything is fine, the battery is just acting as a buffer.
Did this ever settle down for you? I ask as I installed LED headlights tonight, my optimate battery monitor flashed all over the place - red, yellow, green - would settle down to green and then cycle again. Made me think the reduced load was doing something strange for sure. I searched, found this post. Turned on my HIDs - it battery monitor stayed green - indicating charging system is fine. I turned off the HIDs and the charging system continued to be green, so wondering why that would be. Again, this just occurred tonight so I haven't done a lot of testing on it. Just seemed odd. I have a ballistic evo 12 battery.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Did this ever settle down for you? I ask as I installed LED headlights tonight, my optimate battery monitor flashed all over the place - red, yellow, green - would settle down to green and then cycle again. Made me think the reduced load was doing something strange for sure. I searched, found this post. Turned on my HIDs - it battery monitor stayed green - indicating charging system is fine. I turned off the HIDs and the charging system continued to be green, so wondering why that would be. Again, this just occurred tonight so I haven't done a lot of testing on it. Just seemed odd. I have a ballistic evo 12 battery.

Too be honest.. not sure... I just ride. ;)
But the fluctuating voltage would probably spike the charge circuit in your LiFe battery but it should be able to handle it.

Right now the ice is keeping the bike in the garage, I'll have to check it again.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
T_C a brief 4amp (1/3C) charge into the battery isn't going to harm anything. No worries.
Part of the bouncing around depends on where you're picking off the buss voltage and current. Less system load just lets the buss voltage get to where the regulator wants it and lets the battery enjoy a slightly quicker recharge. What was the max voltage you noticed?

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Voltage was bouncing up to 17+ volts, at least that is what my meter was showing. Not exactly a high resolution and refresh rate. It did fry a few cheaper electronics on the bike... but the higher quality stuff survived.

No, wasn't worried about the rate of charge on the batteries, just the over voltage.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Not right indeed. Sounds like your voltage regulator may have had it.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
+3.

17 is not right. I'd hook up a digital meter directly to the battery and check also. You might be saying hello to your alternator.

That means pulling the throttle body.

Don't keep riding it, you'll be frying a lot more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Hello folks...
Thanks for the suggestions,
but staying inbounds,
thread is way out of context.