Suggestions to secure your bike?

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I had my GW I was often told that HD riders used covers with Gold Wing logos all over on their bikes to make the HD less desirable. Same with the ST with a cover that has the GW wings logo. Thief will think twice thinking it's a 850 lb monster and go for the other bike what ever it is.
I have a disc lock but don't use it much. Have the neon orange cord from the lock to the grip same as my side stand puck to remember they are there.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
If you use it all the time you wont forget it.
At my house I use a disc lock all the time. As I was backing away from my parking spot the other day, I couldn't figure out why the transmission suddenly locked up after moving back several feet. Can you believe I tried to move the bike twice? Yup, Alzheimer's I'd guess.

Now I've attached a ridiculously long strip of yellow caution tape to the case for the disc lock and the case is attached to the front brake lever when the lock is on the bike.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I use a bicycle lock through the front wheel, and I have a "remove before flight" flag bought from eBay which I clip onto the right hand grip to remind me it's there. The bicycle lock and the flag act enough to deter any would-be thief to move on to the next bike... I always lock the steering anyway as it's only one more "click".
As an aside I always park in gear too, to prevent the bike being easily pushed off it's stand, to me it's like a parking brake. It's automatic now for me to stop in first gear and as I kick down the side stand, the interlock stops the engine.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Jeff...So what brand/model of combo u-lock????
Brian
Its an OnGuard Motorcycle Lock. I wish I could remember where I got it and how much it was. Too long ago for me - half the time I can't remember what I had for supper last night. ;-) Pretty sure I bought it locally tho.

Here's a picture that give dimensions one way. The inside measurement the other way is 4 1/2 inches. Rubbercoated shank - looks like 5/8. Cylinder lock to thwart pickers.
100_0825.JPG

My security procedure, (steering lock, 1/2 cover, U-lock with visible reminder coil), is as much to keep weather out and kids and other curiosity seekers away, than anything. If someone wants to steal your bike they will. But I agree with many of the commnets in this thread - the theft risk for a ST type bike is low

Probably ; I sure now can't in good conscience recommend Chatterbox .
Back in the early 70's (72?) , I had a Kawasaki 100 Trail Boss (10 speed, 2 x 5gear switch on handlebar).
I bought a self-contained alarm w/mercury switch (JCWhitney?). It was like a license plate frame - simply screw it onto your license bracket, then lic plate screwed onto the unit.
You simply inserted a key, turn it, and remove - it's now activated. Any movement that jiggles the mercury switch to close, runs a high-DB siren for a minute or 2.
Simple and effective.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I bought a self-contained alarm w/mercury switch
I had something similar on my 750 K4 made by Cycle-Guard. it had to adjustable mercury switches which could be adjusted individually for whether you used the center or side stand. There was also the option of a remote receiver.

A skilled/determined/professional thief can get by anything if they know what they're up against. Almost anything if they don't. Even so I still lock my doors at night.

A cheap noise maker with a hidden backup battery and a disk lock won't guarantee a thing. But it will probably make your bike less attractive. And a bike cover is a good idea too. Out of sight and all that.

A GoldWing-specifc cover on an ST? Maybe it's useful. At least it will fit a top-box. But I think most thieves would think "You're a little short for a Storm Trooper".

I say if it gives you a little piece of mind without turning your wallet inside out and lulling you into any false security definitely add some hardware.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Bulldog Security sells a unit for about $40 w/ key fob at AutoZone , Pep boys , etc., for cars , that is a motion sensor and ignition key-on sensor . I put that on my Shadow Aero 750 because I found a place to mount the square black box. I ran out of places to mount one of those on my ST because of other accessories , the box was just too big, being for cages. It is very sensitive to vibrations and has worked 9 years. A co-worker on his extremely loud Harley , coming to work , would set off my Shadow's alarm.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A co-worker on his extremely loud Harley , coming to work , would set off my Shadow's alarm.
extremely, loud, Harley.

All of these things are one like the other. :D
You could have saved some typing and eliminated two of 'em..

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
extremely, loud, Harley.

All of these things are one like the other. :D
You could have saved some typing and eliminated two of 'em..
The guy always wanted me to go to Sturgis with him for about 11 years , never did - I would get a headache in about 5 minutes being somewhere too close to his Harley . You could hear it at least a 1/8 mile away in city traffic , farther in the country. You couldn't hear your own bike so you could shift it normally !

Last edited:
Bike
Honda ST1100 (2001)
Having just purchased an old (2001, so I guess not that old!) st1100, and living in an area that has a bad rep for motorcycle theft, I'm wondering if my puny (but Thatcham/Sold Secure certified) disc lock is enough. I've read that it's easy to just unbolt the wheel, unbolt the disc, bolt the wheel back on, kick the steering lock off, and roll away.

I obviously don't want to spend more on security than I've spent on buying the bike (which thankfully isn't much) and insuring it (which is significant), so I'm wondering what else can I cheaply do? It's a parking lot in the basement of an apartment building, the management doesn't allow me to embed an anchor point anywhere, and there are no decent spots to chain the bike to (there's a pillar, but it'll mean parking my bike uncomfortably close to my neighbour's car).

Thoughts, ideas?

TPadden

Tom Padden
Having just purchased an old (2001, so I guess not that old!), and living in an area that has a bad rep for motorcycle theft, I'm wondering if my puny (but Thatcham/Sold Secure certified) disc lock is enough. I've read that it's easy to just unbolt the wheel, unbolt the disc, bolt the wheel back on, kick the steering lock off, and roll away.

Thoughts, ideas?
Just read the thread ... :rofl1:

Tom

Bike
VStrom 650
Having just purchased an old (2001, so I guess not that old!) st1100, and living in an area that has a bad rep for motorcycle theft, I'm wondering if my puny (but Thatcham/Sold Secure certified) disc lock is enough. I've read that it's easy to just unbolt the wheel, unbolt the disc, bolt the wheel back on, kick the steering lock off, and roll away.

I obviously don't want to spend more on security than I've spent on buying the bike (which thankfully isn't much) and insuring it (which is significant), so I'm wondering what else can I cheaply do? It's a parking lot in the basement of an apartment building, the management doesn't allow me to embed an anchor point anywhere, and there are no decent spots to chain the bike to (there's a pillar, but it'll mean parking my bike uncomfortably close to my neighbour's car).

Thoughts, ideas?
Could you find/purchase/beg a length of heavy duty chain, wrap it around the beam then lock it up to that.
Upt'North.

I rented a Yamaha 175 long term in Thailand many years ago and the owner had reversed the kill switch on it. Everytime you left the bike somewhere you flicked the switch to 'On' which of course switched it off. Was meant to fox hotwiring -and it seemed to work as bikes went missing almost every day where i was staying, but the Yamaha never got stolen, although there were a couple of attempts.

Top Bottom