Helmets Bell RS-1 and shield when riding in the rain

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There have been 2 times I got caught in heavy rain in my Bell RS-1.

The first time was last year. I have one of the photochromatic shields which I really love, no changing it out or forgetting to change it during a ride. It's not like it's that difficult but it's just one of those things you don't have to worry about anymore. Can't say enough about how I love that feature. But, last year got caught at night with that lens and a downpour and the visibility was terrible. It was just like being in a car without any wipers, that bad. No helmet shield I've ever had has been that bad. I was ready to set up my tent in a field and wait out the rain but one of the 4 of it, Rick, told me to use his cheapo helmet and he'd use mine as his GS windshield had a 'flip' on it and less water hit the face shield vs the Vstrom's windshield setup. Over the CB he told me the Bell helmet fit like a glove and he really liked it.. then we got on the road and he said this thing is dangerous. I could see MUCH better using his cheapo helmet - don't remember the brand.

I decided it must be the photochromatic lens just not being able to allow water to roll off it for some reason, so I bought one of their regular clear shields and had it on when I was coming back from Moonshine yesterday. SAME EFFECT, got caught in a downpour where I was virtually blind and had to lift the shield and take the water in the face to see. I previously have been caught in many down pours with my Shoei helmets and never had this problem.

Just curious if anyone else with a Bell had this problem. I may be going back to Shoei.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have the RS-1 with the photochromatic shield. I don't recall ever having any problems with it in the rain. I don't recall being caught at night in the rain though. I have never used my clear shield. I wonder if it has anything to do with whatever you clean it with. I always use dish soap.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
There is rain on my Be-e-ell, rain on my Bell

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Joe I have the same results. I sent a notification to Bell but haven't heard anything back from them. I didn't take my Bell to Moonshine because of it. Especially since the first leg was with Bones for his SS1K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wonder if it has anything to do with whatever you clean it with.
I have some bug-off stuff I've used on my Shoei shields but also have used honda polish. I can understand the photochromatic shield being more particular but the regular clear shield has the same issue and this was the first time I used it, never had the chance to clean it.

Bike
Supere Tenere
I have the Transitions shield for my Bell Star helmet and love it for all the same reasons you listed. I try to be careful with the exterior surface as scratches remove the coating and you get a clear spot there. I live in Oregon and have used this shield for many rainy miles. It works fine for me and with water beading up well. I have about 10,000 miles use on this shield.

My secret is Plexus. It's designed for cleaning and protecting plastics like those used in windshields and motorcycle face shields. On longer rides or anytime I expect rain, I toss my Plexus spray can in my pannier. I also cary a microfiber towel all the time. Either as a part of my pre-ride routine or during the day as needed, I spray the shield and buff with the microfiber towel. It cleans, polishes and leaves a slippery surface that will help water bead up.

Never use Rain-X on plastic. One can of Plexus will last you a year or more unless your friends figure out how well it works and start mooching off you. BTW, the Bell shields have an anti-fogging film on the inside so use only water on the inside of your shield and never clean it with hot water or the film can peel off. I've not had this problem with the Transitions shield as I'm now very careful with them but I'm assuming it uses the same anti-fog coating as the other Bell shields. Bell replaced two shields for me after the inside coating started peeling off. Now I'm careful to only wipe the inside with a damp microfiber towel.

http://goo.gl/6HUcdA << link to Plexus large spray can for about $25 with free Amazon Prime shipping.

plexus.jpg

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I'd try cleaning it with the Honda spray....maybe the factory doesn't pre-clean? Then test it in the shower..........and post the pics..........:D.......or not....good luck......................ff

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Believe it or not you can buy Harley spray for cheap at most shops and it works better than Honda spray or Plexus . It will help defog your visor as well as make rain water just fly off due to beading like a fresh waxed car . I bought some on my way to Sturgis last year and used it on my hockey visor all winter without a problem .I could not believe the price at about $6 cheapest item in a harley shop ,also smells good .

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I had the same problem Sunday night in Oklahoma................with the wipers going. I guess a pickup isn't the answer.

Top Bottom