ST on dirt roads

OP
OP
cldiver
Bike
2013 st 1300
I can now officially say I rode on a dirt road for around 15 miles. I didn't really enjoy it as the bike felt very loose and wanted to track every rut, but I got thru it. The scenery made up for the road, I'll go back in the car and take some pics, I had to stop the bike a few times to take it in.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Harsh off-road "specials" can/will wear down parts in the drive train...

Had to climb up a steep, unpaved farm/forrest-trail last w/e... build from fist-sized boulders, washed out, like 10" deep drainage trenches dug across, of course with hairpins too, chatter marks like a washboard from farm-tractors and other vehicles crawling up there...
Only about a mile long, but with two up and luggage quite some heavy bangs in suspension and drive...

Of course did I instantly notice slag in the hub-dampers after that... no wonder with the beating they'd to take there...
New set is already ordered though...

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Full length of Kebler Pass, CO was interesting.

I always tell myself if it starts to get rough TURN AROUND.

Sometimes I'm not a good listener :D
Kebler's not bad......in a cage:D. Actually a fairly good road......if the spring run-off hasn't made sections of road dissapear:eek:.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Kebler's not bad......in a cage:D. Actually a fairly good road......if the spring run-off hasn't made sections of road dissapear:eek:.
Last time I went over Kebler, a couple of years ago, it was like a super Hiway. Too many cages. I think they are going to pave that pass in the not to distant future. Easy road for a ST and no sweat for a loaded KLR.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
It's all good with the ST until it's stuck or on it's side in the wilds of Kentucky, tires uphill, your ribs are dinged and you ain't got any help! My back was killing me the rest of the weekend. Strip off all the junk and do the best you can. LOL. I got out of ther. Thank you very much.
I got my ST stuck in PA in the slime by myself and I was getting concerned. Wasn't even that deep but I was hung up. Scratched up the rear wheel pretty good getting out.
Long miles on a gravel/ dirt road you are going to ding some plastic up at least.
Picking up the XR650 (half the weight) is more than enough for me and I've been down with that more than I can count. I would do it on a lighter bike but I got's no skilz.

I took mine up the Alcan and Dalton and down the Cassiar a few summers ago (<---see sig pic) as part of a month long, 12k mile trip from the eastern US to AK, the West Coast (SoCal), then home. I used street tires the whole way with no problems, even though there were/are parts of both the Alcan, Dalton, and Cassiar that were nothing but dirt and gravel for miles. Once I got over my natural disinclination to ride on dirt and gravel - esp on an ST overloaded with a month's worth of camping gear and etc - I found I could typically maintain 50 - 60 mph on dirt and shallow gravel with no serious issues. I really preferred packed dirt to gravel, and many times even to the rutted, pitted, frost-heaved, so-called "pavement". Packed dirt tended to be MUCH smoother.

The deep, drifting, recently dumped gravel was the worst, especially if you don't see it coming until the last second. Sometimes the only thing indicating the pavement was about to end was one orange cone sitting over on the shoulder (no warning signs), which doesn't give you much time to react at the 60-ish + mph you have to maintain to get anywhere in the vast distances of The Great White North.

The only issues caused by the rough roads were a few things shaken loose (Tupperware) and a minor weepy fork seal by the time I got back to civilization. I had the forks serviced and a new set of tires mounted on my way south through Seattle, and she was otherwise none the worse for wear.

alaskahighway3 006.jpg

alaskahighway4 037.jpg

alaskahighway4 012.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
ST
STOC #
I rode the Trans Lab on my '04 in '05. I was able to do 70 on the spots where the trucks had packed the dirt/gravel down. The weather was clear the day I rode from Goose Bay to Labrador City. I had a little mud build up inside the bottom of the fairing. I brought some clear plastic shelf liner that I put on triple layered on the ferry from Newfoundland on the front edges of the fairing and the front fender.
When you see a dust cloud coming toward you, slow and move to the far right cause the trucks fly down this road and kick up a lot of dust and rocks.

Top Bottom