St1300 Clutch Lever Adjustment

Bike
2005 ST1300
My newly purchased 2005 has very little clutch lever play before engaging (very little), a friend said that the clutch lever is adjustable and has been changed on this bike. I said the adjustable lever is an aftermarket option and did not come standard on any year of the ST1300.

I called the previous owner and asked about it and he said the dealer adjusted it for him so he didn't have to pull so far in before it engaged/released. He prefered it that way. I had a little learning curve to get used to it but am used to it now.

Anybody care to tell me if I am right/wrong?

Could use an adjustable sometime, any levers out there fit from other bikes?

Are the brake and clutch levers identical if you were to look at them? Or are they different?

This is what I learned from a post on another users group.

There were some owners that "adjusted" the length of the push rod in the lever/caliper mechanism.
"adjusted" means they shortened the rod by cutting or grinding it shorted as it is not adjustable. Cutting or grinding the rod shorter means the rod must be replaced if you want the standard length pull of the lever. The rod Rod, Push 22884-MBO-006 is inexpensive. Pick up a Bush 22885-MB0-006 while you there. It is the brass barrel the rod goes in, it does wear it does require grease from time to time. Get a Boot 45504-410-003 also. It's the rubber boot.

issue resolved once fluids were changed, feels like factory now. Thanks for all of the advice.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you search the forum you should find a few threads about adding aftermarket or Honda adjustable clutch and brake levers.

While the ST already has an adjustable brake lever from the factory I don't believe any of the transplants match it.

I used a set of Kuryakin levers which needed some modification for the clutch side. The brake lever fit unmodified. The Kuryakin levers are wider and helped with the arthritis in my hands.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
If what you mean is that the clutch disengages only after pulling it all the way to the grip and engages after just moving away from the grip then it probably is a bleed issue. If that is not what you meant I apologize but I just wanted to make sure that there is no confusion.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
The adjustable clutch levers don't really adjust the clutch engagement. They adjust the distance the lever sets away from the hand grip.
I have Pazzo levers on both my bikes. The ST had the short ones (two fingers) on it when I bought it, and the originals were in a box of parts.
I just put new long length levers on my Hayabusa.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like you may need to bleed your clutch fluid and make sure you have the correct motor oil in the engine as there is no adjustment on the clutch.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As suggested, its not an adjustable lever issue, but a fluid/bleed issue, I think you'll find if you flush and bleed your clutch your problem will correct itself.
As far as the adjustable lever (Goldwing type) they also allow folks to move the lever closer to the grip, and not allow enough working space, with can cause transmission and shifting problems in both the Gl1800's and the ST1300's. Honda kept the non-adjustable lever, because the longer lever gives a person more leverage and smoother control....
And STGuy, I remember seeing how your clutch lever snapped off under your hand pressure due to poor quality control.....glad it was the lever and not your hand.
Hope your feeling better.
Larry

Top Bottom