Trapped in a gilded cage?

Bike
07 ST1300A
Just got back from a wonderful family trip to the Hawaii's Big Island (that means no riding for me). I was really surprised to see a 07-ST1300 at a shopping plaza in Kona. So I decided to wait until the owner got back and struck a conversation.

When he returned we exchanged a few pleasantries and got talking. I brought up ST-owners. He said that he did not know about it but promised to look it up.
With regard to the ST1300, he said that he had bought the bike on the mainland and had it shipped. Apparently, there are 3 ST1300s on the island, and I was looking at the best one. "The others are not much to look at", he mentioned. He said he owns another BMW motorcycle. He said he was very happy with the ST1300. When I brought up the issue of maintenance and servicing he remarked that he does not prefer to do any wrenching himself. According to him, the local dealer was very competent and did a thorough job. "Unlike the Honda, I have to ship the BMW to Oahu for servicing", he added.

His ST1300 was not heavily farkled, save for a weathered Givi case. He asked about the farkles on my bike and raised his eyebrows when I mentioned the cruise control. "I wouldn't need that. There is not a lot of places to go here", he added as he started the bike.

The last remark I assume was on the small size of the island and not related to the wonderful variety of places one can ride and see. It also left me wondering if the ST1300 was trapped in a gilded cage. Wonderful riding weather year round but never too far from home!

--Ram

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Finalchecker brought his out there, too, but he lives on Hilo side. That accounts for two of them.

A full loop of the island (Mamalahoa Highway) with stops is a day trip, so I'd probably take something lighter if I moved out there.

--Mark

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Back in 2000 my wife and I vacationed in Maui, and I rented a Harley to ride for a few days. We toured the Island, mostly around the outer drives and I though the same thing, that there wasn't that much touring to be done on an Island. We had fun anyway, but yeah, I would feel very confined living on an island especially with a sport touring machine.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
While doing a bicycle ride from San Fran to Napa I met a young gal that was a tri-athlete in Oahu.

She complained that getting in any long distance riding was really boring.
You live in a tropical paradise but get tired of seeing the same picturesque scene time after time...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You live in a tropical paradise but get tired of seeing the same picturesque scene time after time...
Somebody out there once told me that the big decision you make as a rider out there is clockwise or counterclockwise.

--Mark

Bike
2009 ST1300
I lived on Maui for 12 years... I owned several bikes. 04 Ninja, 1100 Virago etc.. Thinking the weather would be great. It was not. The Islands have so many weather related things going on all at once.. 90 in Kihei, 12 miles away its pouring.. The volcanic red dust there tears apart most paint finishes... The traffic, lost tourists and impatient locals all on the same road make for some of the worst and hazardous driving ever... The Big island out of all would be the best to ride for open roads.. you can fit all the other Islands within the borders of the Big Island. Kona and beyond boast well paved roads with amazing views, very rural, but again, the weather can change quickly..
After years on Maui we moved away. Sad but necessary for sanity reasons.. Crowded, noisy, racist, homeless everywhere and once you have lived there for 8 months, you have done it all, road it all, and seen it all.. trapped? yes..
Hawaii is becoming a dumping ground for the broke and destitute..per triple AAA they track numbers of around 90% of all transplants move back to the U.S. mainland within 1 year. This ruins the rental market, the job hunt, and creates a bias reputation. Scooter are the mode it seems there now. I had a 2013 Honda PCX 150. amazing little scooter, but I had more close calls there than in and around Seattle on a weekday in the rain with a Seahawks game, Huskies game, and U2 playing, all in the same day...

Bike
FJR1300
Quite a reality check there, brokenbutcher, but I can see what you're saying. I was married in Maui, loved it there and day-dreamed of maybe living there but I got a enough of a dose of what you described and thought better of it. I remain a 'mainlander' to this day. Hawaii is a paradise in my mind's-eye and I'm happy leaving it that way.

I suppose a Gold Wing with the air-bag option might be the bike to have there. ;)

Bike
2009 ST1300
LOL gold wing with air bag....no kidding...Maui is great for vacation.. So many see it through vacation goggles and think that is the way it is all of the time... NOPE!
It is paradise as a vacation spot no doubt.. I ran a small catering service there and did some sight seeing trips for tourists as well, The opiate that is Maui, the sights, the Plumeria
smells, the smiling locals, its all very intoxicating..But even the best drunk wears off....We still have connections and friends there. But no real desire anytime soon for a visit. For now, The wide open spaces and lack of any traffic makes living in The desert great. The ST loves to run here as well. It will be interesting to see how it handles the summer time temps here. 105-110.. I sure dont want to see my normal 3 bars go any higher temp gauge wise.. :)

STOC #
I lived on Oahu while serving in the army. There were many, many small bikes riding around, but hardly any touring bikes. I thought "that makes sense". I rented a Kawasaki Ninja 250 a few times to ride around on weekends and that bike was plenty there. Still, I loved riding there. I never caught the "island fever". I didn't want to leave.

Bike
2009 ST1300
Some do love it there. It takes a certain kind of person for sure.... We didnt get the fever per say, we never felt trapped, but the swift rate at which Maui went from smiles, fun, and room to play..., to Crowds, noise, crime, racism, and homeless. We decided we didnt want to watch her die.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
"The others are not much to look at",
I have to make a good natured objection to that comment. I happen to know where a very good looking 08 ST resides in Hilo, lol. I have crossed paths with an 05 but didn't get to talk to the owner as we passed in opposite directions. Granted there is less real estate to ride here, but there is more to the island than just riding. The ST does fine here, it is still comfortable for me, although I admit it is not the best bike for this location.

Bike
2013 st 1300
Interesting topic. I live in Nova Scotia Canada and I'm finding it's becoming too small now. I lived in Victoria BC and after a few years was bored to death driving/riding there. I guess given time many states and eastern provinces become too small. PEI and Rhode Is must take a very little time to explore !! The difference with Hawaii is you have an enormous obstacle to getting somewhere else.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have to make a good natured objection to that comment. I happen to know where a very good looking 08 ST resides in Hilo, lol. I have crossed paths with an 05 but didn't get to talk to the owner as we passed in opposite directions. Granted there is less real estate to ride here, but there is more to the island than just riding. The ST does fine here, it is still comfortable for me, although I admit it is not the best bike for this location.
I wondered if you were gonna chime in Paul ;)

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
I saw this St on the big island... even had an ST OWNERS sticker on it...
I'm pretty sure that is/was the bike that texasota pete owned. He is on your turf now, somewhere in the Denver area.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
The wife and I visited Maui many years ago for our honeymoon and it amazed me how varied the landscape was in a very short distances. Wet side and a dry side to the island and it changed fast. Almost like somebody turned off the rain switch. Hot at sea level and cold up at the volcano summit. Up at the volcano was weird. I thought for sure that thing was going to explode any second, even though it had not for like 80 years. We had a wonderful trip but I doubt I would ever live on any island, except I never leave CT anymore! Same thing. Never go more than 20 miles away from home.

OP
OP
sstakes1
Bike
07 ST1300A
I had to protect her honor. :D
Paul, I was glad that I put the comment in quotes when I found out that one of the other ST1300s referred to belonged to a forum member. In any case, if you need to set up a duel, all you have to do is to hang out at the KTA on Palani Road at Kona. I believe the 07 ST1300 hangs out around there :)
--Ram

Top Bottom