Coolant leak, timing belt cover, 96 1100

Hi all I have coolant coming out of the timing belt cover is there a tell tale hole on the water pump where this may be coming from or is it likely to be from a hose?
I'd guess that I will have to take it off to have a look.

Cheers
Ian

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hi all I have coolant coming out of the timing belt cover is there a tell tale hole on the water pump where this may be coming from or is it likely to be from a hose?
Pretty much sounds like a leaking shaft seal in the w/pump... causing a seepage on/under the LHS of the clutch cover?
But I'd also no exclude the slim bypass-hose running just behind the t/belt housing, which is prone of getting brittle due the heat...

OP
OP
Yep leaking down behind timong cover and out onto L/H side of T/belt cover, ah well off to garage to see if can see anything when stripping it down, I take it there should be no play in the shaft with a slight bit of drag when turning the pump once its all stripped down. Hmm not going to be cheap but needs doing.
Cheers for reply

OP
OP
Well stripped t/belt cover off and still couldn't see where leak was coming from so decided to put rad back on as its only a couple of bolts and hoses refill and run with cover off. Also took off my fake tank (bikes not standard) so couls see filters carbs and hoses in the vee. Once ran easy to see that its the water pump so all bits now ordered along with a new belt.
Just to top off my day I decided to remove clutch cover to repaint where coolant was running down and one of the bolts in the dowels shears , at this point the garage was closed and the beer was opened.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Once ran easy to see that its the water pump so all bits now ordered along with a new belt.
I'd ad idler and spanner pulley while at it... just for the peace of mind...
On the '94 I'd refurbed the idler 'wiggled' for >1mm... at +190Tkm the belt had been replaced by the dealer somewhen previously...

OP
OP
May take three or four beers to get that broken bolt out...
Will be a few more than that Easter weekend and off to a easter fire tomorrow, then easter fair Sunday and hamburg for a fewmbeers on Monday so not much going to get done before then.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Can you tell me, what has to be removed to get to the bottom connection of this hose?
Once the carbs are out, the chromed "cap" [cover, water] in the valley is accessible, enabling replacement of mentioned thin bypass hose.

Bike
1996 Honda ST1100
Once the carbs are out, the chromed "cap" [cover, water] in the valley is accessible, enabling replacement of mentioned thin bypass hose.
Okay, thanks!
Also:
1. How much work is required to R&R the carbs? (the manual makes it sound simple, but this forum claims otherwise) :)

2. MUST the carb insulators be replaced?

Top Bottom