Hamstrings are killing me!

Bike
ST1300
I'm guessing that compression of your "sit bones" onto the area where your hams connect is the cause of your problem. Getting off your seat by standing helps, but will return eventually once you sit and compress them again. Finding a softer seat, and wiggling your butt up off of the seat to the left and right every half hour or so can give relief and prolong the time you can ride without pain.

Bike
1998 ST 1100
I would entertain having a physio take a good close look at my flexibility, if I was having those hamstring issues. I'd also take seriously taking some science based electrolyte drink and some small shot gel along to throw into you when you need to stay sharp. Wash the gels down with equal amounts of water so they get to work being absorbed. I found it good practice to look after this type of thing.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
About 12 years ago, when I got back into touring, I had intermittent pain in my ankles, calves and hips. About 8 years ago I started doing stretching exercises for the calves and all leg muscles. I do these exercises every morning and no longer experience any pain. Another change I made was installing a Russel seat this past winter. After the 600 miles that I put on going to Moonshine last week, I'm convinced the seat helps a lot in the area of leg comfort.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I use the seat blocks in the front and put the seat in the lowest position in the rear. This was the only way that I could adjust the seat so I wouldn't feel like I was sliding forward. I love it now and I can ride all day with no discomfort.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
How big was that Gatoraid? 10oz of water is not that much water over 1000 miles. I work out and play tennis a lot but when my hamstring bothers me it isn't because of working out, it's usually a lack of stretching enough before a long ride or sometimes the seat and pant combination just put a little extra pressure on a certain point on the right hamstring and starts making me uncomfortable. I have an Airhawk cushion that helps change the pressure point thus making a big difference in comfort on long rides. As tall as you are you may try raising the seat as high as it goes. I have a set of front peg lowers that I will sell you at half price if you want them. They were great to relieve hip pressure but were terrible about causing the pegs to drag on every marked curve. Drove me crazy! I found that doing horse stance stretches and stretching my hammies before and after long trips does wonders!
I initially filled the bladder up with 2 liters of Gatoraide then sipped it for the next 5 hours or so. I refilled it with water the rest of the trip but overall I think I ended up drinking about 5 or 6 liters of fluid in the 20 hour period. I felt fine everywhere but in the hamstring area so I really don't think it was a hydration issue. My thinking is if I was dehydrated I would have felt soreness in other areas and I would think I would be sore after getting off the bike. But I wasn't, I would walk for a few minutes and the pain would immediately go away. I'd be interested in the peg lowering blocks if you want to P.M. me.

Brian

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Whether we like it or not our physical condition directly relates to how well we feel on our bikes. If you feel like crap you are not happy. I did a quick search and found this article that will help get you loosened up for the ride.

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

I do exercises similar to this several times a week plus a good cardio the other days. This takes about 4 1/2 hours per week with one day of rest. It does make a difference in how I feel and how far I can go. Don't just jump on and go take ten minutes and get stretched and loosened up.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Thanks for that info. I'll add these stretches to my morning routine and see how it feels in a few days. I know with any fitment issue it's not going to be instant but rather a trial and error. On the cruisers I rode it was my lower back that gave me trouble but most of that stems from herniated discs. After I started having back problems I started to strengthen my core and it has helped tremendously but the problem with the cruisers is it forced me to slouch. No matter how diligent I was in trying to maintain good posture, after a few hundred miles I was slouching.

Brian

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
About 12 years ago, when I got back into touring, I had intermittent pain in my ankles, calves and hips. About 8 years ago I started doing stretching exercises for the calves and all leg muscles. I do these exercises every morning and no longer experience any pain. Another change I made was installing a Russel seat this past winter. After the 600 miles that I put on going to Moonshine last week, I'm convinced the seat helps a lot in the area of leg comfort.
I'm going to try seat risers first then I'm going to start looking for a new saddle. In the mean time I'm going to get together with the trainer at the gym and talk to her about my issues. Hopefully she is more than a pretty face and knows a few things about anatomy!

Brian

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I had the same problem, very badly, with the stock seat, and a Sargent seat, in any position. I don't have this problem at all with a Corbin, or a Russell seat, which I now use.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My back does not like many things, like walking especially up hills. Any upward incline really hurts. This has to do with arthritis and collapsed disks. But what I find interesting is that riding my bike in a non-upright position, meaning not a straight back, (slightly rounded, top to bottom) does not really bother me at all. In fact there are many days when my back hurts I go for a ride and the pain disappears. It is funny how so much different we are as people. What fixes one breaks another and vise versa.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I had the same problem, very badly, with the stock seat, and a Sargent seat, in any position. I don't have this problem at all with a Corbin, or a Russell seat, which I now use.

Ha! Finally someone who has had this same problem. I knew I couldn't be the only one with this discomfort. Someone said in a pre jobs post that they thought the problem lied in compression of the hamstrings where they connect at the butt. This is probably the same problem you have or had. I've done many saddle sores or long distance trips and have never experienced this so I wasn't leaning towards my body being out of balance. I stretched before coming to work today and within 20 minutes I could feel the discomfort creeping back.

I guess it's time to start looking for a new seat.

Brian

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I made several different sets of seat risers out of plywood before I found the height that worked for me. I then made a pair out of Starboard to keep on the bike. I recently changed to a Sargent and hopefully I am done adjusting my riding position. Good luck. The stock seat is a torture device.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I made several different sets of seat risers out of plywood before I found the height that worked for me. I then made a pair out of Starboard to keep on the bike. I recently changed to a Sargent and hopefully I am done adjusting my riding position. Good luck. The stock seat is a torture device.
Believe it or not this is the first bike out of countless that I'm uncomfortable on, butt wise. Weird.

Brian

Bike
06 ST1300
Every bike hurt my butt so most of them got a Russell. I am 6'1" 170 with 36 inseam. This could be one of your problems. When your butt starts to hurt you subconsciously pushing down on the pegs to relieve your discomfort, raising your body up just a bit. This keeps the hams and thighs flexed. This could be causing your hams to tighten up after awhile, you work your thighs big time squatting and running but the hams are more of an isolated muscle.. They are locked in the bent position and blood flow is being restricted, got to keep the legs relaxed. I do all kinds of exercise, TRX, one day heavy wts, special forces work outs for endurance. I am an old guy and I get stiff and sore in places for no reason my Doc. said use them or lose them. You may want to try and cut back the distance running and do 100yrd. sprints and walk a 100, do 10 sets. Use less squat wt. and go down deep slowly and explode up, work up to 4 sets of 20. Like said stretch a lot. I drink only 75/25 water, power aid no straight energy drinks. If you want drink ensure before a long ride. Drink one after a hard work out.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Get a Russell seat. Yes, it costs more, but it will save you money in the long run, because you will get one eventually, or end up selling the bike, which would be a shame.

Top Bottom