Hamstrings are killing me!

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I bought an 06, 1300 a little more than a month ago and am having some fitment problems and need some expert opinions. My problem is after about 50 miles my hamstrings start to tighten up and it actually becomes painful to ride.

I've got 2100 miles on this bike already so I don't think it's a muscle memory problem any more. I'm in pretty decent shape overall ( I run 12 minute, 2 mile splits and can squat 240 so it's not a strength issue) I have the seat set as level as I can get it, middle notch at tank and 3rd step on seat. I have risers and MCL highway pegs so I do move my feet around and don't keep them in the same place forever.

I'm 6'2 and 185 with a 34 inseam so I have long legs. I'm thinking my next step is to try the MCL peg lowering blocks and see if it gives me any more comfort. Anybody else have this problem?

I came from a cruiser where I had back problems because of slouching and traded it for hamstring tightness!

Brian

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't know what they will do for the hamstrings, but I do like the peg lowering.

I swapped bikes this weekend and rode another ST for an hour... I missed those lower pegs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have bar risers that help me straighten up a bit....I'm 6-2 with a 34 inseam and I stand up and ride for a few minutes every half an hour or so (bar risers make this easy) I grew up on dirt bikes so the stand up riding position feels natural for me. It helps a lot on a long day.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I did an iron butt last weekend and it got to the point I was stopping every hour to walk and stretch. I had every angle imaginable on my feet and at some point started hanging my feet off the rear pegs with the feet dangling by the panniers. I would stand for a bit, stretch out as far as I could go, and even rode in the passenger pilon for a short time trying to get the pain to go away.

Reading on the MCL site it looks like my answer may be to try the adjustable peg lowering blocks.

Brian

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I would lift the seat before lowering the pegs. My wife had them on her ST when I picked it up for her and they would drag just coming out of a driveway not even riding it hard. If you do lower them be very careful as it could UN-weight the bike and cause big issues.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Yup, I did that. Rode a few miles at a time while standing to get a good stretch going. But within 5 minutes of sitting down the pain came creeping back.

I'm going to get a few pennies together and try the MCL peg lowering blocks, unless someone else has a cheap (meaning free) solution.

Brian

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
i'm 6'2' 190 w 34 inch inseam and the only thing that helped that crappy seat was Russel Day Long. I don't even think about my butt anymore even after 600 mile days back to back.

Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
Brian,

Save up a lot of pennies and invest in MCL Hi Way blades. Gives you an alternate footing on the bike. I have put a few extras (farkles) on my ST, but the pegs are the one thing that I wouldn't be without. I am 6'4" 230 with a 34" inseam. They are my best add on. IMHO

Steve

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
How about electrolyte levels? :confused:
I'm pretty good about staying hydrated and eating properly. On the iron butt I had a back pack water bottle that holds 2 liters. I filled it with gator aide before I left and then with water the rest if the time. For the whole trip I drank about 10 oz. Of water.

Brian

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Brian,

Save up a lot of pennies and invest in MCL Hi Way blades. Gives you an alternate footing on the bike. I have put a few extras (farkles) on my ST, but the pegs are the one thing that I wouldn't be without. I am 6'4" 230 with a 34" inseam. They are my best add on. IMHO

Steve
The bike came with the highway blades and I did use those for a majority of the trip. I believe they are one of the best things on the bike as well.

Brian

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Or both. I did.

I'm 6'4 with 35" inseam.

Yes, they replace the nylon blocks on each side of the front support bar.
When you add the seat rising blocks can you still keep the seat level? I'm playing with the position of the seat to see if it makes a difference so every few days I'll change it one notch someplace and then ride to work. I do know that it's very "weird" and somewhat uncomfortable when the seat is angled forward so you slide into the tank. I'm not even sure why anyone would want it in that position.

Overall I love the bike, and I'd do another iron butt tomorrow with the pain if I could but it would make it a little more enjoyable to he pain free for 500 miles or more.

Brian

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'm in pretty decent shape overall ( I run 12 minute, 2 mile splits and can squat 240 so it's not a strength issue)
Brian
Could be a strength issue. You know what you squat do you also do reverse curls? It's really easy to get your front strong and not get the back side of your legs in balance.
240 isn't huge by itself but could be out of balance, maybe try to get your hams stronger to get them back in balance and stretch out a little more. If you're cranking out 6 min miles it could be that.

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Could be a strength issue. You know what you squat do you also do reverse curls? It's really easy to get your front strong and not get the back side of your legs in balance.
240 isn't huge by itself but could be out of balance, maybe try to get your hams stronger to get them back in balance and stretch out a little more. If you're cranking out 6 min miles it could be that.
It very well could be a muscle balance issue and the way the leg is placed it just makes it stretch weird. I have real good flexibility and do a well rounded leg routine in the gym. Maybe I should quit going and just pound down the McDonald's! Seems the fitter you are the more aches and pains you end up having.

Brian

OP
OP
diablo1101
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Just a thought. It may be the muscle that is cramping, one cause of which can be drinking too much water, which flushes out the stuff that neutralises the build up of lactic acid, which in turn allows cramp to start. In my case it doesn't get to the severe spasm stage, but i know if i get off and let it relax, it will spasm. Stretching it helps - bend with straight leg, but two things that should work and are easy to try to find out if it is cramp:

Salt. Bad for blood pressure, but clears cramp. Drink a little dissolved with water.
Quinine. You find it in some tonic water. Has to be natural quinine, not artificial or just flavouring.
I would think if the muscle was cramping because of too much fluid I would get more soreness else where and not just in the hamstrings. Who knows, it does give me something else to monitor though.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
I think a lot of replies have keyed in on the issue...which may be your exercise routine or your diet.

Stretching, after some warm up movement, may provide you w/ some relief. Your exercise routine may need to be modified.

You may consider consulting a personal trainer about this issue.

Hope this helps.

Please let us know how you resolve this problem.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
How big was that Gatoraid? 10oz of water is not that much water over 1000 miles. I work out and play tennis a lot but when my hamstring bothers me it isn't because of working out, it's usually a lack of stretching enough before a long ride or sometimes the seat and pant combination just put a little extra pressure on a certain point on the right hamstring and starts making me uncomfortable. I have an Airhawk cushion that helps change the pressure point thus making a big difference in comfort on long rides. As tall as you are you may try raising the seat as high as it goes. I have a set of front peg lowers that I will sell you at half price if you want them. They were great to relieve hip pressure but were terrible about causing the pegs to drag on every marked curve. Drove me crazy! I found that doing horse stance stretches and stretching my hammies before and after long trips does wonders!

Top Bottom