Headlights not working properly

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Hi All:

I believe there is a short somewhere in the electrical system as the headlights sometimes don't come on. Also when they do come on, and I turn the high beam the lights flash a couple of times and then the high beam eventually stays on. Today the lights weren't coming at all and noticed that if I touched the start button, then the lights came on.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take it to the stealer if it's not necessary.

Thank you,
Carlos

Byron

STOC #
It sounds like your switch needs to be cleaned. Dirt is preventing a good contact when initially released but the second push is improving the contact.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Sounds like dirty contacts on the start button. They can be cleaned.

OP
OP
Cucho

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
The start button is just a contributing factor. Even if a touch the cables going to the headlights, they come on and off. It seems that I need to take the bike to the stealer.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Some plastic safe contact cleaner in the hi low and start switches should clear at least one issue.

Do you have a headlight modulator? Dirty connections will put it in programming mode to set ambient light level when they activate.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes more like an "open" not a short. Contact cleaner and manipulation.

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
The starter switch can stick (internally) and prevent the headlights from coming on. common problem with ST1300's...and Gold Wings.
Contact cleaner should fix problem.

Andy

OP
OP
Cucho

Cucho

Carlos
Bike
2007 ST 1300A
Thank you all for the input.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never cleaned the starter switch. What do I need to do an where can I buy contact cleaner?

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
looks like you are in good hands here.
Clean things up on both sides....starter and high/low beam and all should be good !
A spray electrical contact cleaner should be used here. Do not use any type of dielectric grease (too heavy and tacky, collects dust and dirt).

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Thank you all for the input.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never cleaned the starter switch. What do I need to do an where can I buy contact cleaner?
+1
Aerosol can any auto store should have it. Get the plastic safe kind it will say it on the spray can. CRC QD electronic cleaner in the red spray can is a common one. Make sure you get a can that still has the skinny straw that fits in the nozzle taped to the can. Spray it in with the soda straw and work the switches. Spray some more in to flush out the gunk. Might as well do the turn signal switch while you're there.

It's a good idea to do this with the bike off. It is flammable ;)

On here is probably some photo's of the switch pods disassembled and manually cleaned up. I've haven't bothered so far. If you do take em apart and have enough clearance a clean new eraser from a plain old #2 Ticonderoga pencil works well and isn't too abrasive. Rat shack prolly has a switch conditioner/lubricant if you feel the need before your put em back together.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda assembles the switches with some sort of contact lubricant and aerosol cleaners wash it out of the switches leaving them unprotected from corrosion so the problem recurs again sooner rather than later. It's not hard to split the switch pod and squirt a little dielectric into the contact housing after cleaning.

The first time I used some Radio Shack contact cleaner some dripped out onto the fairing pocket lid and slightly damaged it so protect plastic and painted surfaces.

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
Two Phillips screws in the switch housing (beside throttle grip) will give you access to starter switch.
I just sprayed a lubricant into the housing (where the stitch is) from the outside when my lights wouldn't work(during a tour in North Carolina)....and that freed the switch up.

Byron

STOC #
Honda assembles the switches with some sort of contact lubricant and aerosol cleaners wash it out of the switches leaving them unprotected from corrosion so the problem recurs again sooner rather than later. It's not hard to split the switch pod and squirt a little dielectric into the contact housing after cleaning.

The first time I used some Radio Shack contact cleaner some dripped out onto the fairing pocket lid and slightly damaged it so protect plastic and painted surfaces.
The lube is probably dielectric grease which is widely available.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I tend to take the switch group off if possible, open it up and use ACF50 to clean and protect the innards..... I have used ACF50 anti corrosion grease in the indicator switch group due to the nature of the switch assembly....

Definitely don't use WD40 or those type of sprays as they work initially but tend to hold onto dirt and make the problem worse in the long run....

ACF50 is the only product I have ever used that does EXACTLY what is says it will and is very, very good at neutralising and preventing corrosion.... for prolonged periods...

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #

I bought & used some Radio Shack contact cleaner 10 or 15 years ago & it had a slightly oily feel to it, so if it does wash out the OEM contact lubricant, there is at least some oil that will be there to protect the contact surfaces for a while. May not be as good as the OEM lubricant but it worked OK for me. I used it once on one of my St1100's handlebar switches and I never had another problem with them.

Top Bottom