Quick question about the rear caliper.

In regards to the rear caliper, when just the rear brake pedal is pressed, the outer two pistons are actuated, while the center does nothing, and when just the front brake is applied, then the center piston is actuated while the outer two do nothing, correct?

Of the two banjo bolts on the caliper, which one will actuate the two outer pistons- the top banjo, or the rear?

Thanks! :)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I *think the outer two are operated by the front smc. The center is operated by the pedal.
Igofar and others have probably had one off to confirm this.

The stwiki has the diagram.
LINK

Last edited:
OP
OP
the rear (outer) one is connected to the two outer pistons. The centre (forward) one is for the centre piston.
That's all I wanted to know, but I appreciate the in- depth explanation of how the LBS works. I have a GSX-R 600 front end on mine, so no linked brakes. I was wondering which banjo to attach the rear brake line to so that when I step on the pedal, I get two pistons. Thanks! :)

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I was wondering which banjo to attach the rear brake line to so that when I step on the pedal, I get two pistons.
How about making a "T" and have all three pistons work. Think how easily you can slide the rear then. :D

Just kidding:)

OP
OP
Thought about it; that's what Butch Demerele did on his. Then I thought about the added expense for use of a third piston on a brake that will already be more than the bike needs, and decided against it. I'm pretty sure the twisty thing on the right grip will make it slide plenty good on its own. :-D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Yep, I was kidding. I would think that with all the weight you are shaving, the last thing you need is overly powerful rear brake response.

Top Bottom