rear brake problem

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
Please report back if you get the system bled out.... or not...

By any chance, did you save those really old pads you swapped out 3000 miles ago, or did you throw them out?

OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100

By any chance, did you save those really old pads you swapped out 3000 miles ago, or did you throw them out?[/QUOTE]

Put those old suckers back in since I could not see any discernable difference between the 3000 milers and the new ones. The new ones will get put on probably at the next tire change.

STOC #
Two ways to get the fluid flowing. A hand vacuum pump on the bleeder fitting to suck fluid down, or get a small pump oil can. A clean new one, and fill from the caliper up to the reservoir. Start with the reservoir empty. Put DOT 4 fluid in the new can and then dedicate this oiler to nothing but this type fluid. Don't store fluid in the can. Throw away what you don't use. Put some fluid through it first to clean it out even if it is a new pump, just to be sure it is flowing clean. Keep the can full enough that it doesn't start pumping air halfway through the job. Use a clear hose between the pump can and the bleeder so you can watch for any bubbles. You may see a few but they will work their way up to the reservoir. Once the reservoir is full, close the bleeder and try your pedal.

A word on front brakes and clutch bleeding. On certain model bikes with certain design handlebars there are hoses that run up hill and then down to the caliper or clutch piston. You can bleed all day without getting the last bubble out. You need to put the cap back on the reservoir and remove the master cylinder assembly from the handlebar and hold it vertical until the bubble makes its way up into the reservoir.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1993 ST 1100

By any chance, did you save those really old pads you swapped out 3000 miles ago, or did you throw them out?
Finally, 10:15 p.m. and the pedal now has a good firm feel to it. I guess the speed bleeders did the job.

Once again, thanks to all that offered suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Larry

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
A word on front brakes and clutch bleeding. On certain model bikes with certain design handlebars there are hoses that run up hill and then down to the caliper or clutch piston. You can bleed all day without getting the last bubble out. You need to put the cap back on the reservoir and remove the master cylinder assembly from the handlebar and hold it vertical until the bubble makes its way up into the reservoir.
This is what I've had to do on previous bikes that I've owned. Better than loosening the banjo bolt. Less mess as well.

Top Bottom